Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:10 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmitchell View Post
any other thoughts?

Yes I agree

Married with Children

The Jeffersons

Fresh Prince

Three's Company

Sanford and Son
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 09:28 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Not so much.

I thought Kelly was hot and slutty, but it was the same old jokes. I'm impressed how well Katie Segal can act...going from Peg to Gemma Teller-Morrow in SoA.

5 Better shows on the basic 4 channels (not counting cable knockouts like Sopranos, Breaking Bad, 6 feet under, Dexter, etc)

M*A*S*H
Happy Days
Cheers
Soap
Simpsons

Also liked Friends, The Office, Cosby Show, Frasier, News Radio and WKRP

Old 03-06-2014, 07:35 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm sure that was a part of it, too.. But, MWC was also, at the time it was #29.. A ratings juggernaut on Fox.

It hit #29 in the 1991-1992 season.. Let's look at the Fox lineup at that time..

Sundays..

True Colors.. Cancelled after the season.. Though, this show was in trouble because Cleavon Little died just after it was cancelled anyway.. Remember Cleavon? The Sheriff in Blazing Saddles.. Bad ratings

Parker Lewis Can't Lose - Would last another season, and was actually a halfway OK show. But, ratings not so good

In Living Color - An absolute hit show at this time. In its second season. #56 for the year.

Roc - Not a bad show.. First season, it would have 2 more.. #72

MWC, we're talking about

Herman's Head - Eh.. First of three seasons. Poorly rated.

The Sunday Comics.. I don't even remember this.

Fox did a movie of the week on Monday, no network programming on Tuesday or Wednesday

Thursday..

The Simpsons.. In its third season, and in its stride right then. The problem was.. It was put head to head against Cosby on NBC, which hurt it in the ratings, and it finished the year in the high 30's.

Drexell's Class.. One and done.

90210.. Second season.. #42.. I wasn't a fan of the show, so..

Friday..

America's Most Wanted. A show that survived cancellation at least twice.

Something called "The Ultimate Challenge".. No idea. I don't remember it.

Saturday..

COPS

Totally Hidden Video

Best of the Worst - Which, ironically, was the worst performing show of the season.. Finishing ranked #98 of 98 ranked shows

So.. Take that list, and MWC was a ratings winner for Fox.. Their highest rated show of the season.. How many times does the #1 show on a network get the axe? And, remember, this was right before they landed the NFL.. They were basically half a network at this point. Having the #29 show was party time.
It's funny that you called them "half a network" (which I agree with, btw). Half of their shows were decent to good. The other half were just bad.

I had this odd soft spot for Herman's Head and I couldnt tell you why. I was working nights at the time so on the odd time I was home I HAD to watch it. LOL it wasnt even that good.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:08 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
It's funny that you called them "half a network" (which I agree with, btw). Half of their shows were decent to good. The other half were just bad.

I had this odd soft spot for Herman's Head and I couldnt tell you why. I was working nights at the time so on the odd time I was home I HAD to watch it. LOL it wasnt even that good.
I remember that show.. And that's why it got an 'eh'.. It wasn't bad.. But.. You can also look at some of the shows that were on UPN when it started up.. Remember, they built that network around Star Trek:Voyager (Which.. I liked).. But they only had network programming for 3 or 4 nights a week.. And they had some stinkers.. Remember Platypus Man? How about Homeboys in Outer Space?

But.. They had some good shows, too.. There was a claymation show called Gary and Mike that was quite good, but poorly rated and only lasted a season.

There was no way that UPN was going to jump up and grab the NFL. They tried the Fox model.. but the XFL was in no way the NFL.

I'm not going to say that Fox wouldn't exist now if they hadn't gotten the NFL, but it made them a legitimate 4th network. Had there already been 4 networks and Fox was trying to be a 5th.. Then I think without the NFL they did fold.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:32 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmitchell View Post
any other thoughts?
Nope. You pretty much summed it up in the title. Married with Children is one of the greats, a classic.

My top 3

Seinfeld
Married with Children
Simpsons

And it doesn't take a genius to know what OAT means. But anytime someone does throw out an abbreviation you don't understand, all you have to do is take the 2 seconds for google to tell you what it means. And yeah he's a journalism major or not, who cares. I'm sure there are plenty of professionals in this forum making 50k - 100k or more yet act like childish dweebs arguing over dumb topics and name calling on the politics forum or some other forum.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:47 AM

420 posts, read 768,392 times
^ It also doesn't take a genius to know that, "Married with Children is one of the greats, a classic." It takes the opposite.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekn View Post
^ It also doesn't take a genius to know that, "Married with Children is one of the greats, a classic." It takes the opposite.
Do you want to go outside and have a pissing contest? This is the TV forum.

Tell me what you consider great or a classic and I'll go to sleep.

But really, don't. I could not care less.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:38 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Not so much.

I thought Kelly was hot and slutty, but it was the same old jokes.
Hot and slutty and too dumb to know she was hot and slutty. That's what made her so funny. Bud knew, though. Oh, Bud knew! lol

I didn't know it was on Ant TV 'til towards the end so I missed most of it. Wish it would come back on either Ant TV or MeTV.

All in the Family is winding down on Ant TV. I will be sad when it's gone. They're now in the days when Mike & Gloria were in CA, getting a divorce, and Edith and Archie are raising Steffie. Boring, but still better than 99% of the new garbage on these days.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:59 AM

420 posts, read 768,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Do you want to go outside and have a pissing contest? This is the TV forum.

Tell me what you consider great or a classic and I'll go to sleep.

But really, don't. I could not care less.

Already said that Seinfeld is a classic, so is All in the Family. MWC is garbage. You probably think Adam Sandler is a genius.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekn View Post
Already said that Seinfeld is a classic, so is All in the Family. MWC is garbage. You probably think Adam Sandler is a genius.
No I don't, I like very few of his movies. I don't see how those things are related. But please keep assuming things about people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV