Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 09:02 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times

Advertisements

Central Time Zone is the best for TV viewing since there is no adjustment, it's all an hour different than the East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 12:41 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
I wouldn't be able to get used to prime time starting at 7pm. I live on the East coast so it starts at 8 and goes through to 11pm.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:02 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It took me the longest time to get used to football starting at 11:00. Growing up in NYC, it was always 1:00 and 4:00.
Everything else, even doing the math for the cable shows was easy, but football...

Here in AZ, for the first half of the Broncos Season (I'm a transplanted lifelong Coloradoan), games are at 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. as we're on LA time (AZ has no DST), and the second half of the season in November, after the country "falls back", we're on Denver time and the games are 11:00 and 2:00.

Same thing with cable shows. They are on at whatever time in summer, but when the nation falls back, they air an hour earlier. Really throws me off.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:33 AM

570 posts, read 1,001,507 times
I think this link has a good explanation of the OP's question. It focuses on America's forgotten time zone (Mountain), but does explain some of the differences between times on network TV and cable TV.

Why Mountain Time Gets No Love on TV. - The CableTV Blog

Best thing to remember, most events that are live across the time zones are usually advertised as 8pm ET/5pm PT or something similar. Otherwise it would just say 8pm/7pm CT.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,059 times
Ok so correct me if I've got it wrong, a show starts at 10 pm est then it will show at 8 mountain time? Right?

Old 10-03-2015, 05:41 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I wouldn't be able to get used to prime time starting at 7pm. I live on the East coast so it starts at 8 and goes through to 11pm.
I'm now located in the zone that tv forgot- AKA Mountain. Getting used to prime time at 7pm was one thing, but getting used to the workday starting at 8AM was far worse (and not 8-4; 8-5). At least that is what it is here. Never got it, don't get it, and never will. Maybe PT starts at 7 and local news ends at 10:30 because so many have to be out the door to be present at work at 8:00?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbrotha100 View Post
I think this link has a good explanation of the OP's question. It focuses on America's forgotten time zone (Mountain), but does explain some of the differences between times on network TV and cable TV.

Why Mountain Time Gets No Love on TV. - The CableTV Blog

Best thing to remember, most events that are live across the time zones are usually advertised as 8pm ET/5pm PT or something similar. Otherwise it would just say 8pm/7pm CT.
Thank you. Looking forward to reading that. Maybe it will help me understand what Comcast and Bravo do, undo, and redo.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy2213 View Post
Ok so correct me if I've got it wrong, a show starts at 10 pm est then it will show at 8 mountain time? Right?
If it's live across the country, yes. Otherwise, it varies.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:37 AM

For network TV (ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC) it's pretty simple most of the time. There are three national feeds. One for Eastern Time (covers Eastern and Central Time Zones). One for Mountain Time. One for Pacific Time. So if one of those networks has a prime time show advertise 8/7c, it will be on either at 8pm (Eastern and Pacific) or 7pm (Central and Mountain). The networks actually used to say "8/7 Central and Mountain" in their advertising until the late 1980s or early 1990s.

For cable TV, some channels have only one national feed (examples are CNN, ESPN, FS1). The default is to advertise all times as Eastern. Usually they will advertise their programming as 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific. The sports channels usually do a better job of this. Some news channels such as Fox News Channel or CNBC may repeat their prime time block (8pm to 11pm Eastern) so it's shown at those times on the West Coast. But if you know the channel has only one feed, the schedule is the same across the country, adjusting for your local time zone.

Many cable channels have two national feeds (examples are TNT, TBS, USA, MTV). There's an East Coast feed (Eastern and Central) and a West Coast feed (Pacific). A program live across the country would be advertised as 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific. Otherwise it's seen as 8/7c. If you're in the Mountain Time Zone, a show could air two hours earlier or an hour later than what is shown in advertising. This usually depends on your cable or satellite provider, and whether they use an East Coast feed or a West Coast feed.

If you live near the Central/Mountain Time Zone boundary, or the Mountain/Pacific Time Zone boundary, this may affect the times shows on TV are shown. If you live in Arizona, most of what you watch on cable may come on at different times during the year, due to not observing Daylight Saving Time.

Last edited by swbrotha100; 10-08-2015 at 11:47 AM..

Old 10-08-2015, 03:00 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,399,224 times
CST is the best. Prime time goes from 7-10. Football starts at 12:00 noon on Sunday.

West is the worst, it goes from 8-11, so local news basically ends at midnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV