Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 11:24 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
ABC is the biggest offender of this. I think the CW has done it as well (are they owned by the same company, maybe?) It's a new thing. Many shows have like a 7-10 day delay now, or you need the cable sign-in. But then again, CBS doesn't have any of their shows on Hulu.

My favorite is that all ABC's news shows have that. Who in the world would care to watch ABC's week old news shows? I find the whole thing ridiculous.
The CW is owned by CBS and Time Warner Cable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 09:22 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
It has nothing to do with pirating. It is all part of the carriage agreement with the cable providers. Each time a provider signs a new contract with a network they now add online streaming to the deal and then they make it available to their subscribers.
I understand all the agreements. Though they do not have to make it this complicated. Everyone wants their "internet money" and the end result is that many people simply find it easier to pirate the show than jump through the hoops to watch it legitimately.

And in the case of a show on a network such as the OP was asking about, that you could conceivably watch using an antenna, over the air, there is absolutely no reason to tie the ability to watch to any cable company.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:31 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I understand all the agreements. Though they do not have to make it this complicated. Everyone wants their "internet money" and the end result is that many people simply find it easier to pirate the show than jump through the hoops to watch it legitimately.

And in the case of a show on a network such as the OP was asking about, that you could conceivably watch using an antenna, over the air, there is absolutely no reason to tie the ability to watch to any cable company.
Except for those of us who live in the mountains.
I think antennas only work in less interesting geography.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:33 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
I would just buy each episode that you want on amazon. That's what I do with Walking Dead. You can buy it the day after it airs on TV.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:34 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Except for those of us who live in the mountains.
I think antennas only work in less interesting geography.
Yeah, that's me. I live in a bottom floor condo surrounded by other condo buildings and hills. An antenna simply isn't enough for me to get over-the-air programming. I need cable or satellite to get any reception. Sucks.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:10 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I would just buy each episode that you want on amazon. That's what I do with Walking Dead. You can buy it the day after it airs on TV.
At two bucks per ep? That's not cost effective at all, unless that's the only program you ever want to watch.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:15 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post

Agree. It's supposed to be free TV.

Quote:
Then why not just have cable? Then you'd have an account number. Good God! Think! The whole purpose of having antenna TV is to not be saddled with ridiculously expensive cable bills. Why would anyone turn right around and spend money on single episodes?

Old 03-31-2014, 10:27 AM

I do think, thank you. Why would I spend $100+ on cable per month when I can spend around $26 for a season of a show, in my case The Walking Dead, and it stays in my video library so I can rewatch the episodes any time I want and as many times as I want & no commercials? That's less than what a season would cost on dvd. That's the only show basically that I pay for. All the others I either watch on regular tv, go on a networks website or stick to Netflix. More & more people are getting rid of cable, it's not worth the money. In fact, I think the only people I know who still have cable & pay for it are my parents & older coworkers. Others have wised up. I suspect cable is going to get phased out.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:30 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
I do think, thank you for that polite response. Why would I spend $100+ on cable per month when I can spend around $26 for a season of a show, in my case The Walking Dead, and it stays in my video library so I can rewatch the episodes any time I want and as many times as I want? That is thinking, right there. That's the only show basically that I pay for. All the others I either watch on regular tv, go on a networks website or stick to Netflix. More & more people are getting rid of cable, it's not worth the money.
And you didn't bother to add the cost of Netflix to your expenditure.

lol.

People have no clue how much money they spend when it trickles out like that. Too funny, yet sad.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:39 AM

Wow. Yeah, $46 a month for basically unlimited watching of shows & movies. That's not a hardship for me. As you can see, still cheaper than cable. I don't prefer to argue with people over things like cable & tv shows, this is supposed to be an entertainment forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV