Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 09:09 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I tried to watch an ABC show (last night's epi of Nashville) on internet this morning, but I have to give my cable provider and account number to do so. This is not possible, because 1) My cable provider (Suddenlink) is not on the list shown, and 2) I am out of town and don't know my account number.

I am on a business trip with my husband for 2 weeks, and had planned to watch my usual shows on my computer, but I guess I'm screwed.....unless someone here knows a way around this.
Huh? Okay - I just went to ABC.com, and I am watching that show online now. I have no cable subscription. It didn't ask me for a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 09:19 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Huh? Okay - I just went to ABC.com, and I am watching that show online now. I have no cable subscription. It didn't ask me for a thing.
Then you're watching a show more than 8 days old. The one that aired April 2 very clearly and plainly says VERIFY TO WATCH.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:23 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Then you're watching a show more than 8 days old. The one that aired April 2 very clearly and plainly says VERIFY TO WATCH.
I didn't specify what date. And I wouldn't care about watching it late. OP should have been able to figure that one out. DUH.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:25 AM

197 posts, read 233,693 times
Thumbs down A form of collusion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I tried to watch an ABC show (last night's epi of Nashville) on internet this morning, but I have to give my cable provider and account number to do so. This is not possible, because 1) My cable provider (Suddenlink) is not on the list shown, and 2) I am out of town and don't know my account number.

I am on a business trip with my husband for 2 weeks, and had planned to watch my usual shows on my computer, but I guess I'm screwed.....unless someone here knows a way around this.
Actually, abc lies every time during one of their shows they say: Watch episodes anytime at abc.com or abc On Demand since watching anytime doesn't include those who use air antennas. Also, what abc is doing sounds like a form of collusion.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:32 AM

197 posts, read 233,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well, they must have changed that recently because about a month or so ago, if you didn't have a cable subscription, you weren't able to watch any abc show online.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:29 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Just to clarify, they are negotiating a carriage deal with the owner of YOUR ABC affiliate. Not with ABC in general. Usually, deals with the big 4 get worked out so I wouldnt worry too much. It wont have any affect on your HuluPlus because that doesnt have anything to do with Dish.
It was with all stations owned by Hearst, about 125 of them. They blocked it last night but it was back today. I tried watching the newsfeed last night and it seemed rather heavily overloaded. As I personally like Dish because they don't overcharge and rates don't change (the cable company does that frequently) and don't see why a broadcast station should have to pay anything when if I could get a clear picture with an antenna reliably, I could watch their station without either.

Dish is the most popular source of tv in this area due to the cable being so unpredictable and on the air iffy. The cable people make most of their funds on cable modem income.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:44 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Yeah, I saw on my local ABC tonight that an agreement with Dish has been reached.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV