U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 04:18 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,523,344 times

Advertisements

If ya like TV shows,promos and others,check it out..

www.tvobscurities.com

Quite an awesome site!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 08:21 PM

941 posts, read 463,525 times
Good site.

I thought I may have found the link from CD, but I wasn't sure.

I did a title search but couldn't find it, then title searched website, and sure enough it lead me here.

Good thing, as I would have been embarrassed if I posted the link, and someone chimed in and told me it was already posted.

I wanted to post these two items, so here they are.

The Mary Tyler Moore Show unaired pilot segment, with different song and clips, wardrobe and set.

The text mentions it was probably for the sponsors and not intended for broadcast.

Asner's acting wasn't as gruff here, as it was for the actual pilot/first season episode:

The Mary Tyler Moore Show Fall Preview - Television Obscurities

Married With Children Holiday Message with explanation:

1987 Married with Children/WTIC-TV Holiday Greeting - Television Obscurities

Old 09-09-2017, 08:42 PM

7,173 posts, read 7,625,088 times
Yeah I'll be on this site for a while. Excellent find.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:35 PM

7,614 posts, read 8,032,639 times
Was that Mary Tyler Moore segment unaired? Aside from the voiceover narration, the dialog seemed pretty much what was in the first episode and the theme song was the one used for the first season. "You might just make it after all" was eventually changed to "You're gonna make it after all."

Old 09-10-2017, 02:09 AM

941 posts, read 463,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Was that Mary Tyler Moore segment unaired? Aside from the voiceover narration, the dialog seemed pretty much what was in the first episode and the theme song was the one used for the first season. "You might just make it after all" was eventually changed to "You're gonna make it after all."
Yes, unaired.

The arrangement of the song is slightly different, as well as some of the quick single shots that were ultimately used in the original Season 1, Episode 1, that did air.

From the link:

...What I will share is this segment from the 1970 CBS fall preview special that showcases a new sitcom called The Mary Tyler Moore Show. It features a lengthy scene in which Mary Richards meets Lou Grant for the first time. Included is the famous ďI hate spunk!Ē exchange between Mary and Lou.

(Iíve been unable to confirm if the 30-minute CBS preview special aired on television.
The network may have created it for use at a gathering of CBS affiliates.)

Fans of The Mary Tyler Moore Show will notice this isnít the same scene from the series premiere. The dialogue is mostly the same but the set is different, as are the outfits Moore and Ed Asner are wearing.

I donít know the full story behind this footage. CBS gave The Mary Tyler Moore Show a firm commitment without ordering a pilot episode. Was this scene filmed or taped as a test to sell the concept to CBS?

Old 09-12-2017, 07:48 PM

5,721 posts, read 2,808,933 times
Sometimes pilot producers rent or borrow sets or set pieces from other studios when doing pilots to save money. If the show is picked up to series, the producers will then have the $$$ to build the sets they actually want to use.

I recall in the pilot episode of The Nanny, the living room set was totally different, including the reversal of the front door and a totally different staircase they borrowed from the sitcom The Powers that Be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or