Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 11:31 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times

Advertisements

I, too, think releasing the walkers from the quarry is a stupid idea simply to ratchet up the danger factor -- especially if simple fencing was enough to keep the horde in line on the road.
Why do all the walkers stay on the road pavement and not too many went off on the side of the road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 11:47 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I, too, think releasing the walkers from the quarry is a stupid idea simply to ratchet up the danger factor --
They didn't release them. Fate did. They just tried to handle it the best way they could.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:47 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
A few things:

Could they also have reinforced the walls in the little Alexandria town they have? Morgan had some pretty elaborate traps to keep walkers out when he was alone in the town. Sure, it’s a smaller scale, but it could help to slow them down. When the herd arrives, they have a group of people pick off the first wave stuck

Maybe also dig a trench around the town. Sure, it will fill up, but the trench should serve to at least break up some of their forward momentum. And, remember around the gates to the prison, they had barricades outside the prison with logs and “spears” pointing out of the logs. Sure, it’s a smaller scale, but it could help to slow them down. When the herd arrives, they have a group of people pick off the first wave stuck on the logs and kill them. The first group backs off and lets group two handle the second wave.

See the picture here of the barricades.

http://i.bullfax.com/imgs/1c89d9fd44...24ff7f31fe.jpg

I’m sure there is an actual term for the spiky logs, but that would also serve to slow down any sort of forward momentum. Again, they would eventually be overtopped and break, but you’re also talking about stopping momentum and that would definitely help.

Also, build out the walls to have angles at them so large groups can’t concentrate in one area.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:58 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Maybe they would have, if they had more time. There were there doing a dry run dress rehearsal of the plan when it fell down and started the dominoes rolling. How many times do I have to repeat this? Watch the show.
Maybe you wouldn't have to repeat yourself if you actually read what other posters said. Instead of building the wall at the intersection to get the zombies to keep walking down the road, why not build the wall at the quarry? Yes, the semi trucks would have still eventually fall in, but if there was then a wall behind the trucks, it would have contained the hoard.

That would then give them some more time to figure out what to do with the zombies. Eventually it would fill up, and they could do something like bomb the quarry and kill of thousands of zombies at once. Instead, they let them loose. How does that solve the problem? Yeah, they end up 20-30 miles away, but what is to keep them from coming back? It might take some time, but in a few months they could easily have the whole heard coming right back at Alexandria.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I’m sure there is an actual term for the spiky logs, but that would also serve to slow down any sort of forward momentum.
Those are stationary pikes or cheval de fries.

I think their plan was to keep them moving, there were too many to use those they'd just keep bunching up until their wasn't enough spear to shishkabob them on.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Maybe you wouldn't have to repeat yourself if you actually read what other posters said. Instead of building the wall at the intersection to get the zombies to keep walking down the road, why not build the wall at the quarry? Yes, the semi trucks would have still eventually fall in, but if there was then a wall behind the trucks, it would have contained the hoard.
That's not what they said, but that apparently wasn't an option. It was easier to build one set of walls closer to the town then it would be to take all their people to build a wall completely around that giant quarry. The wall they built was NO WHERE NEAR THE SIZE of what you are suggesting. And they didn't have enough running cars to surround it either.

Nice try though.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:07 PM

24,480 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
AND THAT DID HAPPEN. In real time RIGHT in FRONT OF THEM. A truck slid off the cliff on the far side.

Maybe they would have, if they had more time. There were there doing a dry run dress rehearsal of the plan when it fell down and started the dominoes rolling. How many times do I have to repeat this? Watch the show.

Don't get angry man. I did watch the show and we are all just speculating here. What the group did was spend a lot of time parking cars in a row and building walls. When you figure most of those cars would have needed a jump start, some would have been out of gas and some parked without keys in them. They had dozens and dozens of cars in rows.

If they had access to another semi they could have positioned that on the quarry road so when the first truck fell in there would still be a block. Some of the other cars could have been put in place to block the dead from sneaking underneath the trailers.

They went to a lot of effort and danger to build the car/wall funnel out of the quarry when it would have been easier to block the one or 2 roads out of the quarry.

I think the Wolf group setup the zombie quarry trap.

I think Gabriel has gone off the deep end and is the one sounding the horn to draw the horde to Alexandria.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:08 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
ok I know this sounds childish, but being from the VA side of DC I just cringe/slap my head as how they pretend Alexandria is even remotely like Alexandria.
The Alexandria in the show is a planned community. I don't think they're supposed to be directly in Alexandria, VA as they seem to be a little away from everything. I wouldn't expect it to look much like anything you know of in Alexandria as it is a made up community, that I think was (in the show's world) pretty new when the zombie apocalypse happened.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Don't get angry man. I did watch the show and we are all just speculating here. What the group did was spend a lot of time parking cars in a row and building walls. When you figure most of those cars would have needed a jump start, some would have been out of gas and some parked without keys in them. They had dozens and dozens of cars in rows.

If they had access to another semi they could have positioned that on the quarry road so when the first truck fell in there would still be a block. Some of the other cars could have been put in place to block the dead from sneaking underneath the trailers.

They went to a lot of effort and danger to build the car/wall funnel out of the quarry when it would have been easier to block the one or 2 roads out of the quarry.
We don't know how much more they would have done, We have to assume they did the best they could with the resources they had with the time allowed, because the truck fell in before they were completely ready. The quarry created a natural boundary that forced the zombies into two tight funnels that could be blocked by two trucks each, but yet you are suggesting they recreate this out of lumber, cars and sheet metal with a much larger perimeter? Not possible.

Angry. Ha ha.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:33 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
The "wolves" are the guys that Morgan encountered at his campsite from the season finale. They have the letter "W" carved into their forheads. You will also notice the same "W" carved into the heads of many zombies. I guess they are just another band of outcasts that terrorize survivors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Thanks, guys. I vaguely remember that, but it's just been so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Rick did say with another rain storm the cliff could erode and the truck could tip off. Still with all the work they did parking the cars in a row and building walls to funnel the dead away that same effort could have been used to fortify the quarry.
4 semis were used to create 2 barricades. Who put those there?

If I was in charge I would have built an angled wall so the press of zombies would have fallen back into the quarry even if the truck did fall in.

But of course over time the quarry would have filled up with more of the dead and rain and if zombies float they would have been able to eventually reach the top edge and get out.

There are many holes in this latest plot twist but it is exciting to watch.

The biggest for me is: If the zombies fell into the quarry wouldn't they have broken bones? We should see more zombies dragging themselves not stumbling along on 2 legs.

I'm looking forward to seeing who is blowing that horn.
I agree. There are so many ways they could things more sensibly. As soon as they discovered the quarry, they should have fortified the most vulnerable breaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
A few things:

Could they also have reinforced the walls in the little Alexandria town they have? Morgan had some pretty elaborate traps to keep walkers out when he was alone in the town. Sure, it’s a smaller scale, but it could help to slow them down. When the herd arrives, they have a group of people pick off the first wave stuck

Maybe also dig a trench around the town. Sure, it will fill up, but the trench should serve to at least break up some of their forward momentum. And, remember around the gates to the prison, they had barricades outside the prison with logs and “spears” pointing out of the logs. Sure, it’s a smaller scale, but it could help to slow them down. When the herd arrives, they have a group of people pick off the first wave stuck on the logs and kill them. The first group backs off and lets group two handle the second wave.

See the picture here of the barricades.

http://i.bullfax.com/imgs/1c89d9fd44...24ff7f31fe.jpg

I’m sure there is an actual term for the spiky logs, but that would also serve to slow down any sort of forward momentum. Again, they would eventually be overtopped and break, but you’re also talking about stopping momentum and that would definitely help.

Also, build out the walls to have angles at them so large groups can’t concentrate in one area.
To be fair, before the discovery of the quarry, they may have thought that they had some leeway before a large herd came through. Still, you have to wonder how on earth they survived so long when they miss the obvious so often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV