Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 04:14 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,480,982 times

Advertisements

Not a bad episode, although not even close to the levels of Season 1 or Season 4.

But ... better. So much freakin' better than the first half of the season. At least I don't feel a fool for spending an hour each Sunday parked on the couch and suffering through countless car and pizza commercials just to keep up with TWD.

I stand by my earlier assertion that the writing is weak for season 6. And for this episode, there were still far too many scenes that required viewers to suspend disbelief to an unreasonable level.

There was more pandering to the fans, albeit in a lot of good ways. Characters we all hated met their necessary, gory ends. And at least for me, the remaining handful of Alexandrians are the characters that I have the easiest time envisioning integrating with the original Rick & Co. The rest = not so much. They were were a continuous irritant and narrative dead weight. (This was never a problem with new characters Seasons 1-5-ish - with the exception of Emily Kinney and Father Gabriel. Love me some Michael Cudlitz -!).

And I loved the montage, btw. I don't think it was cheesy at all. It was a good visual illustration of my overall takeaway from this episode, which is that each central charectar experienced a "return" (or even "rebirth") to his or her "true" self.

In order to assimilate and be accepted into the Alexandria society, each charectar had to repress or shed some essential part of their personae and become "false."

For example -- Carol was a warrior bad-ass who had to "regress" to a nice, efficient, cookie-baking suburbanite. This is who she was before - a perpetually "nice" wife and mother who had to exhaustively keep up appearances so the world didn't catch on to the fact that her husband regularly beat the cr@p out of her. I think this forced regression was likely excruciating, and, as we saw over the course of Season 5 & 6, clouded her judgement.

And Rick: Read up on any history of conquering warlords, and you will find the roots of what Rick had become: Invade a territory (Alexandria); make a superficial bond with its leaders (Deanna); sow seeds of doubt and dissent among the inhabitants ("You guys are weak ... you haven't been out there ... you don't know what we're dealing with!"); kill the generals (Dr. Pete) and bed their wives (Jessie) ...and then take over.

The Ricktator was not about retaining his humanity or rebuilding society. The Ricktator was about power, pure and simple. And like all dicatators, he quickly acquired a taste for grandiose gestures that served no real purpose other than to advertise his power. (Kim Jong-il, anyone?). His master plan to kill all those walkers who were miles away, but just might possibly threaten the walls ....someday ... was an incredibly stupid and self-serving decision that fragmented his team, his family and caused a lot of grief and blood-and-gut-shedding.

I wish it could have been something else besides Carl getting shot again to bring Rick to his senses. (Way to recycle a plot line, writers!)

And so to redeem himself -- he sets out to kill the walkers one by one, which he does. His loyal comrades join him. They are united -finally - in a single purpose: Stay, don't run. Fight. Build something. Make sure there is a future, and give the future a story to tell.

And it appears the rest of the season will be worth watching. Here's hoping, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 04:19 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,940,576 times
LOL.... wonder how many times this has happened before.......

Cops surround home, find family watching

Old 02-16-2016, 04:54 PM

8,737 posts, read 9,416,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
LOL.... wonder how many times this has happened before.......

Cops surround home, find family watching

Thanks for sharing, that was so funny.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:28 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,430,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
never even heard of it....
Its a weekly podcast about the show and they use that phrase quite a bit..The dept of suspension and disbelief

Old 02-17-2016, 06:56 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,940,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
Its a weekly podcast about the show and they use that phrase quite a bit..The dept of suspension and disbelief

sounds interesting!! thanks!!

Old 02-17-2016, 06:43 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,371,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanhvtnymd View Post
The problem with the Alexandrians is that many of them were sheltered for too long. That's why Sam is dead. If he had been out in the world like Carl, he wouldn't have been so freaked out walking out there ALIVE and unharmed. All he cared about was eating cookies and talking about what the world was like outside the walls in abstract. When it was literally in his backyard, he was just another traumatized child instead of a traumatized child who has gained defense mechanisms.

Sam was his mom's Achilles heel (probably would be for most moms...clearly not Carol). That's why she's dead.

Ron's teenage angst/desire for vengeance, denial about his dad, and his own trauma of his dad's death are why he's dead.

All of that said, I did not see that coming. All I know is Rick should be glad he never ran Michonne off. This woman is ridiculously loyal and has saved him and Carl a thousand times.
I can't tell you how much I identified with Jesse in this episode. When my son was young (younger than Sam); he hated Halloween and monsters. Jesse KNEW that he should have gone with the minister but he didn't want to leave his Mom and she didn't want to leave him. Just in case of what could happen. And the very worst thing happened; Sam simply was not prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
My sweetheart, Carrie Underwood loves "Walking Dead" too.....
She was adorable! Love her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post

Must be the blonde hair, cause at the very least, Rosita is much hotter and you don't have to be male to, as I am not, to see this.

To be clear, none of these things matter for the show, but, since it keeps coming up just thought I'd chime in.
Agree that Rosita is 10 times more attractive than Jessie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
how did morgan redeem himself??

Im still waiting for carol to put a bullet in the back of morgans head...
Oh, that's gonna happen, I'll bet.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:02 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,537,098 times
I sometimes envy those of you who've never read the comics and therefore have no idea as to what might happen in the future as pertaining to certain characters. I would've been truly stunned by the most recent episode--I think the last time I was literally stunned by something in a show or movie was when Morpheus revealed what The Matrix was.

Am I the only one who wouldn't mind a one-off flashback episode set in the old world showing Merle and Daryl together, or The Governor as he was before? Stories like that would or course add nothing to the current storyarcs going on, but it would be interesting seeing who people like Glenn or T Dog were before this tremendous change in their lives.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:31 PM

4,710 posts, read 5,914,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
I sometimes envy those of you who've never read the comics and therefore have no idea as to what might happen in the future as pertaining to certain characters. I would've been truly stunned by the most recent episode--I think the last time I was literally stunned by something in a show or movie was when Morpheus revealed what The Matrix was.

Am I the only one who wouldn't mind a one-off flashback episode set in the old world showing Merle and Daryl together, or The Governor as he was before? Stories like that would or course add nothing to the current storyarcs going on, but it would be interesting seeing who people like Glenn or T Dog were before this tremendous change in their lives.
Kirkman put out a series of books detailing how the Governor came to be. (The first is called The Rise of the Governor)

There are some webisodes out there that do have some details/backstory - I think some on Michonne? And, there is one on how the "bicycle girl" from the very first episode got to be like she was.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:34 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,430,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Kirkman put out a series of books detailing how the Governor came to be. (The first is called The Rise of the Governor)

There are some webisodes out there that do have some details/backstory - I think some on Michonne? And, there is one on how the "bicycle girl" from the very first episode got to be like she was.
I've read them all they are very good...

Old 02-18-2016, 07:30 AM

5,463 posts, read 7,037,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post

How far ahead are the comics than the show?

...and thought that maybe Fear the Walking Dead would somehow tie in to the characters of the beginning of Walking Dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV