Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2016, 06:55 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
1. BORING
I get that they are widening the Walking Dead world, but tonight's episode had me snoozing. Neegan's big rants, designed to make him an iconic baddie, just plain fizzled, and a lot of the show these days is building characters to be cannon fodder (Noah, Denise, Jessie's family, etc), and moronic sub-plots (Carol leaving--where is she going to go?).
I disagree. Everytime someone says an episode is boring, most times I call it development of plot and/or character and still find it enjoyable. Especially after last week I think most people are more than fine in taking a more laid back episode that introduced new characters and showed what was happening with Carol and Morgan. Also it was interesting to see that Ezeikel and his group were already working to supply Negan and his gang and that they too had bent the knee to him.

Quote:
2. ALEXANDRIANS SUCK
At least there are less of them. But now we have the boring hilltop crowd, the boring Kingdom crowd...even Neegan's people seem to be stock biker characters. AND THEY KILLED TWO OF THE MOST INTERESTING PEOPLE ON THE SHOW. The show does not have to follow the comic book. They should have had Neegan kill 90% of the remaining Alexandrians instead.
I guess we'll need to see more of the Kingdom and Hilltop people, but with the Alexandrians, for me I liked most of them and wished that a few more of them would've survived and stuck around for a while like Denise and see how they would've continued to develop.
Quote:
3. TOO MANY CHARACTERS
Now we have stock characters and vaguely written cannon fodder from four civilizations. Yeah! This Dwight guy particularly has no charisma as a villain whatsoever, and Neegan's other lieutenant, the guy who made the big speech to Rick about hugging his people, looks like he should be working at a lumber store, and sipping at a flask of whiskey while trying to sell you on the redwood.
Even in a zombie apocolypse there's still going to be people around so its only natural to have 'too many characters' where some may come and go and others may stay for a while before they get killed off. Again personally I wish a few more characters stuck around for longer because they looked interesting and it would've been nice to see them develop more.

Quote:
4. WOLVES SUCK/NO STRONG VILLAIN
Thus far, Neegan has NOT knocked my socks off. I hope they develop him, but he is nothing but a long winded, foul mouthed thug who is more annoying than frightening.
I'm sure they'll develop Negan more. Makes no sense to introduce him as such a cruel villian and then not show him more so that if and when he gets killed you'll feel some joy from it.

Quote:
5.TOO MANY STUPID SCENES
Wow. Darrel jumping up and atttacking a man who has 100 guns on him and is willing to beat people to death with a bat, WHEN HE JUST GOT SHOT AND SHOULD BE STRUGGLING FOR HIS LIFE. Maggie swearing vengence WHEN SHE SHOULD BE PASSED OUT FROM BLOOD LOSS. Carol leaving with nowhere to go, the digital tiger, etc.
Yes it was dumb of Daryl to punch Negan and cause Glenn's death, but its not completely out of his character. Maggie wanting revenge isn't out of character either when you just saw your husband murdered. And Carol it seems like she just wants to be on her own for a while after all the things she's been through.

In general I don't always agree with how TWD's storyline is written or why characters do the things they do, but I think with any show you're going to have this issue sooner or later.

Quote:
6. MORGAN IS A TERRIBLE CHARACTER
So now the guy who became an Akido master in a couple of weeks and regained his sanity is going to make this kid an Akido master who can kill with a stick when he couldn't do it with a gun or a machete? Sure. The actor deserves better than this crap. Morgan is truly the new Andria.
I'm OK with Morgan's character right now. He's the calm in this crapstorm of an apocalypse and he brings some reason and morality that Rick and Co may have lost recently with the exception of Glenn. He went overboard when he first arrived to Alexandria about the 'all life is sacred' crap, but he seems to be more back into reality now where its kill if you have to and avoid where possible.

Quote:
7. THEY ARE KILLING PEOPLE AS CHEAP GIMMICK
Wow. Going to kill two of the most interesting people on the show instead of one to keep us REALLY excited. Sure. Good writing that. I didn't have a problem with the violence, but a LOT of people did and I think that they are going to lose viewers.
I wished Glenn was still alive, but I think people would've been even more angry and underwhelmed if it was only Abe that died in the premiere. I mean if they only wanted to kill only Abe off they could've just did it at the season 6 finale and it would've had more impact then.

I'm one of those people that said I wished they had did the reveal in last season's finale than wait until now, but after watching the premiere I'm fine with them waiting until now to show who died. And I guess you can call it a 'gimmick' with how they kill people, but maybe its simply also that its just their time to go. I mean you just said above that's there too many characters, so if you're going to bring in new ones, some eventually have to go even if I didn't want one of them to be Glenn. ;(

Quote:
8. I HATED THE SCREWING WITH GLENN's LIFE
Why the hell put us through all of that just to kill him? Really, I don't care what they do with the stupid flashback. It seems that 90% of attempted tension for as long as I can rememeber is keeping us in suspense about Glenn's death. Really, really cheap. It has gone on so long, that though he was my favorite character, I don't even care. If I did care, I would resent it.
For me I liked how they went about building up the tension before revealing who died. It seems like alot of people are too impatient these days and can't even wait even a little bit longer to find out what happens. I mean we just got back from the show being several months off so I liked the show easing me back in and allowing me to get my bearings before they went off and killed a couple of main characters. I think that was more effective than if we had just turned on the show and then 5 minutes later one or both of Glenn and Abe died.

Its like love making. Do you really find it satisfying to get undressed and start effing right away? Or do you usually find it more enjoyable to have some foreplay and get warmed up and turned on and then get down to business? For me I find the latter much, MUCH more enjoyable.

Quote:
10. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT
This guy has a long way to go before he is in the Governor's league. Funny thing is, some have hinted that Neegan is different from the governor because there is good in him. Well, in the TV show, the Governor was also shown to have a caring, protecting side that got perverted, so even that will seem to be to be old hat.
As I said before any show that's been around for a while is going to have at least some repetition in some way, shape or form so TWD is no different.

As for the Governor vs Negan comparison, I guess we'll have to see more of Negan to make a more accurate judgement but so far I'd say that Negan is worse. I mean the Governor killed plenty of people and he even kept a few chopped off heads in his secret room, but he never took a bat and bashed multiple people's heads into nothingness and then keep pictures of what he did. And the Governor NEVER completely broke Rick down and made him lose his will to fight the way Negan did on their first meeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 07:40 AM

137 posts, read 79,933 times
Haven't read all the post but I didn't get last night , was that suppose to be all going on with Carol and Morgan while Neegan was doing the killings with the others ?

Old 10-31-2016, 08:02 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior 7 View Post
Haven't read all the post but I didn't get last night , was that suppose to be all going on with Carol and Morgan while Neegan was doing the killings with the others ?
I could be days apart. At least we know that the people in the "kingdom" are suppliers of food to Neegan. The is a rehash of the Governor/Andrea/Rick scenario.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:17 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,112 times
Hate to say it but I thought that last night's episode was probably the worst in the entire series. Boring, silly and a waste of an hour.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:18 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Great episode last night. Carol's line "you've got to be ****ing me" to Morgan after meeting King Ezekiel was perfect.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:35 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I think Ezekial has been laying wait for the right opportunity to get from under Negan and the Saviors' thumb. He sees in Carol and Morgan people who have already gone up against these folks, but also people of strong minds, who know how to size people up and not just strike with physical force without proper planning or knowing when to stand down. If anything Carol isn't someone quick to be charmed and fooled by all the rah, rah; yes, that's also I imagine maybe very attractive to someone like Ezekia, who may find there's more to a woman than just the physical appearance that is if wanting Carol that way is even part of his goal.

Those are definitely some good plot points to explore and I agree that is probably what they are trying to set up, however I wish they would take the time to establish it better so the buy-in would be easier for me. As it stands now I think if this guy has built this utopia and is tired of Negan, they need to show why exactly he is tired. He has a pretty good racket going. All his people appear healthy and happy and they have the facilities they need to sustain it. They also have the benefit of giving the big middle finger to Negan with the tainted hogs and that seems to be going okay. So this Kingdom appears to have been up and running smoothly and seemingly has been for a while. I guess I would need to seem him interact with his people a little more to know he is bored or that Carol offers something that no other woman there can and that perhaps it is a tenuous situation with the Saviors that is degrading, and no the fight during the last exchange wasn't enough.

It just seems unlikely to me that he'd go googly eyed and all in over two people he had just met a few days earlier, one of which has been unconscious for most of that time, has lied to him pretty much every time she has spoken to him and has been thieving every chance she gets.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:45 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
I'm just thinking....

If they are feeding the pigs the walkers, wouldn't the virus absorb into the meat and make whoever eats it, sick/walkers?

I'm just thinking about where this could go...

I liked the calm side of last nights epi, basically b/c last weeks, was for me a bit hard to take...and needed something a little more less violent.

Also, the king, don't know if I can trust him yet...ya gotta worry about the effects on these leaders, and the power. Would certainly like to believe he's a good guy...not every community leader needs to be bad....

and I'm a little torn as to Carol's sanity right now....

I started watching it, this morning before work, and will finish up tonight...so....

Old 10-31-2016, 08:55 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm just thinking....

If they are feeding the pigs the walkers, wouldn't the virus absorb into the meat and make whoever eats it, sick/walkers?
I was surprised that the pigs were eating the walkers, when in the past several years, we have not seen animals even want to eat them. You'd think the hordes of walkers would be constantly pecked by birds, gnawed on by rats, and have vultures flying overhead. Nope, we haven't even seen walkers with flies buzzing all around them. If flies and maggots won't eat them, we can conclude that all animals would be turned off by walker flesh. Now suddenly pigs, the most intelligent animals after apes, have no hesitation about eating walkers???

Sure, I like the plot device with fattening up the pigs with walkers before giving them to the Saviors to eat, but that little joke wasn't worth throwing out the whole consistency of how the Walking Dead world works and its established laws of science.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:58 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Those are definitely some good plot points to explore and I agree that is probably what they are trying to set up, however I wish they would take the time to establish it better so the buy-in would be easier for me. As it stands now I think if this guy has built this utopia and is tired of Negan, they need to show why exactly he is tired. He has a pretty good racket going. All his people appear healthy and happy and they have the facilities they need to sustain it. They also have the benefit of giving the big middle finger to Negan with the tainted hogs and that seems to be going okay. So this Kingdom appears to have been up and running smoothly and seemingly has been for a while. I guess I would need to seem him interact with his people a little more to know he is bored or that Carol offers something that no other woman there can and that perhaps it is a tenuous situation with the Saviors that is degrading, and no the fight during the last exchange wasn't enough.

If high school teaches us anything, it's that the new girl always gets hit on by the alphas.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:17 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Carol rocks even when she is playing "susie homemaker".
I enjoyed the episode and it was refreshing to have a bit of fun from last weeks blood bath. Carol is a very complex person who is still trying to understand who she is. Is she the battered wife, the cookie making mom, the stone cold killer, the walker exterminator or just a woman that is tired of the whole ordeal.

At times she is ready for death but the spark of survival still burns within her.

I thought it was funny when she met Ezekiel and how she thought the whole Kingdom was a circus and the people were living in a fantasy land. She criticised them for living in a fantasy land but then she moves into a house to live on her own like a happy homemaker?

I'd like to see Carol and Ezekiel get together. I think she could use some comfort and normalcy for a bit until the bomb is dropped that Abraham and Glenn are dead by the hand of Negan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV