Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2017, 04:29 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_widget View Post
Yes, the prison was closed and prisoners sent to the colonies (a.k.a., U.S.) for 14 years of indentured servitude. Grey was able to "save" Jamie from going to the colonies by sending him as a servant to an English lord. If the series is staying true to the book, the estate is in Northern England.
so were the colonies bad places to go back then? So they used the highlanders for slaves....interesting. I didn't know that.

I heard Grey say something about Hell, when referring to that Castle, but couldn't understand everything he was saying.

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 09:56 AM

794 posts, read 1,325,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
so were the colonies bad places to go back then? So they used the highlanders for slaves....interesting. I didn't know that.

I heard Grey say something about Hell, when referring to that Castle, but couldn't understand everything he was saying.

Thanks so much

I'm not an expert on early colonial history but the books do paint it as a rough place to live. I think the immediate issue Grey was trying to save Jamie from was the journey over the Atlantic. Many people did not survive the journey; I think something like 50%.

In terms of the castle, I think he was talking about the Lord not liking the Scots, specifically Highlanders and Jacobites. He encouraged him to use a different name so he wouldn't be so easily recognized as a leader from the Jacobites.

I was trying to add a spoiler to my post yesterday but it wouldn't accept it....but then I see someone already mentioned that Murtagh does not survive in the books so this is what I am most curious about....will he escape or survive the journey?

I have to assume we will see him again, otherwise, I am not sure I understand why they would keep him alive for this one episode showing the years in prison. In the book, Jamie is seen as the leader of all the prisoners and men who did not know him before treat him with a great deal of respect and form strong relationships. The episode kind of touched on it, but I think it was downplayed from in the book because they were focusing more on his talking to and caring for Murtagh.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:38 AM

604 posts, read 839,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortisha View Post
I am so disappointed in the actress that is portraying Brianna. Apart from having red hair she bears no resemblence to the book Brianna. Brianna is supposed to be built like a volleyball player, not thin and waifish. Book Brianna has a strong character but is not whiney and brattish. Granted that is mostly script, but her delivery is so amateurish and overblown. I hope her performance gets better and she can overcome the total mismatch in casting. Couldn't they find anyone better suited for this role? The actress that played Amelia Pond as a Doctor Who companion would have been perfect
I'm a bit disappointed also. Brianna in the books is a 6 foot tall bright redhead. Her size is continually mentioned in the books and it is often pointed out that she physically resembles her father, who was also unusually tall.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:44 AM

324 posts, read 330,941 times
Gray was not able to send Jamie to colonies as he was a "high profile" traitor and only king can make decision about sending him to colonies( and he did not) I think Gray transferred him to castle for a term vs another prison maybe forever.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsunny View Post
Gray was not able to send Jamie to colonies as he was a "high profile" traitor and only king can make decision about sending him to colonies( and he did not) I think Gray transferred him to castle for a term vs another prison maybe forever.
yes, but I believe I heard Gray say to Jamie, he was doing this for Jamie, to save his family name. In other words, he hoped that Jamie would never tell anyone that Gray is Gay? that's how I took the conversation, it was difficult for me to follow that one conversation.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:11 PM

324 posts, read 330,941 times
My understanding was that when his brother discharged their debt it didn't mean anything, as far as Gray goes he still felt that he (Gray) still in debt to Jaime. And now he is able to discharge that debt himself. He said "you gave me my life now I give you yours" hence the name for episode all debts paid , that was my take.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:45 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
When Gray mentioned his "very close" friend that was killed at Culloden, was that Black Jack Randall he was talking about? Jaimie looked like he was hold back asking Gray if that was the case.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:16 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
When Gray mentioned his "very close" friend that was killed at Culloden, was that Black Jack Randall he was talking about? Jaimie looked like he was hold back asking Gray if that was the case.

As far as we know (in the books, at least), Lord John Grey never met Black Jack Randall. Gray's "very close" friend was a young man named Hector.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:22 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes it was...

and where was Jamie, whose castle was that....

Jamie is going to serve Lord Dunsany and his family (friends of Lord John Grey) as a groom. He will be a prisoner on parole, i.e. giving his word that he will not run away (and knowing his family would suffer if he did), for the indefinite future. The castle, actually a country manor, belongs to the Dunsany family. Lord John Grey felt that although he could not free Jamie, he could at least give him a situation where he would have fresh air and work with horses (which Jamie enjoys) along with decent food and clothing and quarters along with no chains. If Grey had sent Jamie to the colonies with the other prisoners, Jamie might well have died along the way; a trip across the Atlantic took 3 months and Jamie suffered from terrible seasickness (which, in the books, he had mentioned to Grey). Lord John also wanted to see John again, both out of selfishness and because he believed that Jamie knows more than he's telling about the Stuart gold.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Jamie is going to serve Lord Dunsany and his family (friends of Lord John Grey) as a groom. He will be a prisoner on parole, i.e. giving his word that he will not run away (and knowing his family would suffer if he did), for the indefinite future. The castle, actually a country manor, belongs to the Dunsany family. Lord John Grey felt that although he could not free Jamie, he could at least give him a situation where he would have fresh air and work with horses (which Jamie enjoys) along with decent food and clothing and quarters along with no chains. If Grey had sent Jamie to the colonies with the other prisoners, Jamie might well have died along the way; a trip across the Atlantic took 3 months and Jamie suffered from terrible seasickness (which, in the books, he had mentioned to Grey). Lord John also wanted to see John again, both out of selfishness and because he believed that Jamie knows more than he's telling about the Stuart gold.

many Thanks....greatly appreciate this....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV