Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 07:46 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I was thinking that was ego. Mad that Jamie didn't want it. But, I haven't read the books.
I'm not going to spoil it since I really have no idea where they're going with this in the series, but I do think they're headed in the same direction as the books and all will be explained eventually. Every time I think they're straying so far from the story in the books that it's okay to mention the differences, they end up bringing it up in the show at a later part of the story. That's why I don't want to give something away unintentionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 07:47 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Hmm, not sure if next week's show will answer that definitively or not and I don't recall if it did so at this end of this episode or not. However, the episode did show you how, when Claire approached the stone, it made the same sound as when she went through the first time. The suggestion from the episode is that Claire made a conscious choice to stay.

***Trying to not base these answers on the book and stick to what the show is revealing.
Geeze, never thought of it that way? I simply assumed that she didn't want to go back and chose not to?

Wow?

Old 04-20-2015, 07:51 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
I guess I HAVE to read the books!

Old 04-20-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So, at this point, I am bereft at having finished reading the books. I don't get Starz, but my DD gave me the first season DVD, and I would be binge watching it right now, except DH is watching it with me, since he's curious about what all the fuss is about, so its in stops and starts. So while, y'all are happily watching season two, I'm still back at the beginning of season 1.

Anyway, I'm enjoying revisiting the beginning again. My only criticism is I always pictured Jamie as bigger. He is described in the book as being a huge, red haired man, who stands out in a crowd because of his size, and I don't think the actor does that.

Also, I was surprised that Beauchamp is pronounced Beecham.
In the books Jamie is about 6'6", and Claire is about 5'6". In the show, Sam is over six feet, but I believe Cat is near six feet herself. It changes the look of it for sure. I think the showrunners worried more if the actors could embody the characters than if they fit every physical description. I think that was a good choice.

In the books Claire talks about the English pronunciation being Beecham while Dougal gave it the the proper French pronunciation when they met in the cabin after she went through the stones.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Geeze, never thought of it that way? I simply assumed that she didn't want to go back and chose not to?

Wow?
Claire definitely chose to stay with Jamie. She sat there for a long time thinking about who she wanted to be with, which is why they kept showing her looking at her two rings. I'm sure she'll explain her thought process to Jamie in the next episode.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:08 AM

Poor Gaellis. 'It was all for nothing'. I'm going to miss her, especially after knowing what I do.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
2 questions: does Gaeliss think she can change history? Or why does she support a doomed cause?

And did the priest want to save Claire, or was the actual result of what he said what he intended?
Yes, Geillis thought she could change history. I think she was surprised to know Claire came here by accident and not with a purpose. And Father Bain definitely did not want to save Claire. He knew the villagers would behave as they did. That's why he had that little smirk at the end.

I was fine with this change, though I liked the book version better. In the books Father Bain is attacked by a pack of stray dogs and refuses to allow Claire to treat the wound because she's a woman. Claire tells him it's going to fester if he doesn't get treatment. She may have said something like the wound will fester and he'll die. I can't remember exactly. Well, at the trial he comes in obviously dying from infection and says she cursed him when she said it would fester. There was some justice knowing he was going to die.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:14 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
I guess I HAVE to read the books!
Be forewarned. They are an addicting and consuming thing - in a good way! Wonderful read as they really do a great job interspersing the real history with the fictional one created by Gabaldon. The show is a pretty faithful interpretation to the books though even though there are some small changes here and there. Since Gabaldon is consulting on the show and seems to be quite involved, the faithful interpretation makes quite a bit of sense.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:18 AM

I requested the first one from the library. Where is the show right now in relation to the book?

Old 04-20-2015, 08:18 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
In the books Jamie is about 6'6", and Claire is about 5'6". In the show, Sam is over six feet, but I believe Cat is near six feet herself. It changes the look of it for sure. I think the showrunners worried more if the actors could embody the characters than if they fit every physical description. I think that was a good choice.

In the books Claire talks about the English pronunciation being Beecham while Dougal gave it the the proper French pronunciation when they met in the cabin after she went through the stones.
I do not mind that the actors are not exact interpretations of the book versions. The more I watch them both, the more I am convinced they really embody both Claire and Jamie even if not a precise physical embodiment (especially Jamie!). I love how Sam Heughan manages to have Jamie's tendency to have a lingering bit of smile and easy going nature to him even when presented with a difficult or uncomfortable circumstance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV