Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2016, 12:31 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortisha View Post
That's right - he was looking for the woman in the "red" dress, that was all the description he needed.
If you mean Duverny, he was not specifically looking for Claire. The dress was just supposed to make it impossible for him to miss her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 07:37 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
Yay, we're going to get more Sandringham! My favorite character on the show so far. I knew his sleazy ass would play a larger role in our story.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:35 PM

605 posts, read 1,259,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Gaelis is one of my very favorite Outlander characters!
, well, hang in there!! I'm hoping the series gets to the other books!! Such a facinating series of events!! You really can't appreciate the depth of all of this until you read ALL the books !!

Old 04-26-2016, 02:36 PM

605 posts, read 1,259,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Geeze, I love Claire, and everything about her, except, when she acts out before thinking, and gets others in trouble...but I love her confidence, and even her arrogance at times....

For me, she is a very likable character, and Jamie sure does agree....
she is completely comfortable in her skin...unlike most women...
however, new generations seem to be producing more and more women like her...(our modern day women) Claire to me, demonstrates a certain mystic about her, she is not into drama at all, says it like it is, and being she traveled world wide as a child and was raised by an uncle, that proves, the reason for her so called arrogance....she is extremely confident...and also body confident.

She is not oversexualized, and very smart...she's got it all...and a perfect match for Jamie....as he to is extremely confident.

I believe Claire is the kind of woman who intimidates most other women...they take her as being arrogant, when in fact, she is just so comfortable with who she is.

I believe they make a stunning couple....
It's a terrific complement of each other - an 18th century Scot with a 20th Century woman - how independent, non-dependent, intelligent and knowledge of the 'future' world comes across.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:02 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,807 times
I think that Claire does have a streak of arrogance centering on her medical knowledge. It's not uncommon with medical professionals. As a combat nurse in WWII and especially as a woman with a medical vocation in the 18th century; that arrogance is very helpful when dealing with overbearing male egos or even self-satisfied male egos.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:16 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I think that Claire does have a streak of arrogance centering on her medical knowledge. It's not uncommon with medical professionals. As a combat nurse in WWII and especially as a woman with a medical vocation in the 18th century; that arrogance is very helpful when dealing with overbearing male egos or even self-satisfied male egos.
I still do not think arrogance is the right word to describe Claire. It describes an undeserved sense of superiority, and I do not think she has that. She is strong and confident and does not put up with foolishness, but that does not make her arrogant. She is sometimes impetuous - and that gets her into trouble when she forgets when she is. That's when we all want to slap her upside the head. But arrogant, no.

What you are describing with medical professionals is confidence in their ability, not arrogance.

I read a story once about a surgeon, senior and very respected, who was being assisted by a brand new nurse. At the end of the procedure, the sponge count was incorrect: one was missing. The surgeon looked and the sponge was not inside the patient. He told the nurse that he was going to go ahead and close the incision. The young nurse insisted that he not do that until the missing sponge was accounted for and was ready to call for the X-ray machine (sponges have a thread attached that will show up on an X-ray). At that point, the surgeon moved his foot that had been hiding the sponge he dropped on the floor. He complimented the nurse for standing her ground, following procedure, and protecting the patient. The nurse learned to be confident in her training. Claire knows how to do that.

Can doctors be arrogant? Sure. In my little scenario above, an arrogant surgeon would sew the patient up without finding a truly missing sponge first.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:55 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
some people are most intimidated by confidence, and misconstrue it as arrogance. She in my beliefs, is far from arrogant, but a fair and proper female, who owns an intellect of all things....

Old 04-27-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I still do not think arrogance is the right word to describe Claire. It describes an undeserved sense of superiority, and I do not think she has that. She is strong and confident and does not put up with foolishness, but that does not make her arrogant. She is sometimes impetuous - and that gets her into trouble when she forgets when she is. That's when we all want to slap her upside the head. But arrogant, no.

What you are describing with medical professionals is confidence in their ability, not arrogance.

I read a story once about a surgeon, senior and very respected, who was being assisted by a brand new nurse. At the end of the procedure, the sponge count was incorrect: one was missing. The surgeon looked and the sponge was not inside the patient. He told the nurse that he was going to go ahead and close the incision. The young nurse insisted that he not do that until the missing sponge was accounted for and was ready to call for the X-ray machine (sponges have a thread attached that will show up on an X-ray). At that point, the surgeon moved his foot that had been hiding the sponge he dropped on the floor. He complimented the nurse for standing her ground, following procedure, and protecting the patient. The nurse learned to be confident in her training. Claire knows how to do that.

Can doctors be arrogant? Sure. In my little scenario above, an arrogant surgeon would sew the patient up without finding a truly missing sponge first.
Great post and story! Thank you!

Old 04-30-2016, 02:58 PM

212 posts, read 417,771 times
I found this last episode a bit boring and I remember that I felt that way while reading this book section too. My poor husband has hung in so far but I'm afraid I might lose him this season unless it gets more interesting. I understand that it is moving the storyline along but ......

Old 05-02-2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortisha View Post
I found this last episode a bit boring and I remember that I felt that way while reading this book section too. My poor husband has hung in so far but I'm afraid I might lose him this season unless it gets more interesting. I understand that it is moving the storyline along but ......
My sister and I were together on Sat. and she said, she was very impressed with the way the story line is following the book. Do you feel the same?
Yes, it is a bit boring, but feel it's leading up to something and essential for what is going to happen.

What do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV