Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 05:03 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Absolutely, 100% disagree with this. No way did Nora "go over", for these reasons:

1) If you watch the initial scene when she's in the bubble carefully, when the fluid starts to fill up the bubble she yells "stop" right as it's filling up her mouth. And, in the later flash-back scene when she's talking to Kevin, the fluid does also fill up her mouth somewhat. And, the two "technicians" had specifically told Nora that she had to hold her breath for 30 seconds so the fluid wouldn't enter her mouth, or else she would either die?!, or the process wouldn't work (can't remember exactly what they said). In any case, I believe she stopped the process before it was completed. Going along with this, this whole "process" that the technicians came up with for "going through" was almost certainly a scam anyway - in order to make $ off of the suckers willing to believe in this. I suspect that in the cases of those people that "did" really want to go to the other side & went through the process (not Nora), somehow the technicians eliminated them & then covered this up by having the fake "body fossils" to show as "proof" that people did go through.

2) Despite the above, if you still believe she "went over", the story of her finding the "scientist" on the other side (that had built the first machine) and convincing him to build her another machine so she could "go back" to where she came from really sounds like a lot of crap, and not at all plausible. If you do believe this, why didn't others from the "other side" come back in that same machine? Why was Nora the only one?!

3) Going along with this, when Nora was telling Kevin about life on the other side, we never saw any scenes corresponding with what she was saying. In and of itself that doesn't mean this didn't happen, but it does lend credence to the idea that she was making the whole thing up.
Sigh. I wanted this wrapped up in a neat little bow.

But WHY would she lie about it to Kevin? For what purpose??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 06:08 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Sigh. I wanted this wrapped up in a neat little bow.

But WHY would she lie about it to Kevin? For what purpose??
I don't think she did. They promised us an answer and she gave it.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:54 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I don't think she did. They promised us an answer and she gave it.
I guess we can agree to disagree here. My interpretation is this:

1) Nora did really believe she did go to that other place, and was deluding herself (and Kevin) about this because she wanted to believe everything she was saying. She made the story about seeing her family to give her life some kind of "closure", so she could believe that her family (husband & kids) were happy & content in a new life. She described her kids as having grown older, and her husband as happily re-married to a "pretty wife".

Again, I think the whole series was all about people coming to terms with the death of a loved one (family member, spouse, children, etc.) Nora never came to terms with the death of her family, so created a "fantasy" where they were still around.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:16 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I guess we can agree to disagree here. My interpretation is this:

1) Nora did really believe she did go to that other place, and was deluding herself (and Kevin) about this because she wanted to believe everything she was saying. She made the story about seeing her family to give her life some kind of "closure", so she could believe that her family (husband & kids) were happy & content in a new life. She described her kids as having grown older, and her husband as happily re-married to a "pretty wife".

Again, I think the whole series was all about people coming to terms with the death of a loved one (family member, spouse, children, etc.) Nora never came to terms with the death of her family, so created a "fantasy" where they were still around.
OK, well with art we are allowed to see what we want and I like the bow on it, as another poster put it. If I wanted still to analyse it I would wonder why Kevin is not immortal anymore. But I don't!

Old 06-13-2017, 06:26 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
I'm glad they're at least trying something along these lines. A good series based on apocalyptical events be it supernatural or aliens or whatever is always good to stretch the old brain. I have to say I never gave " The Event" any thought because the premise was just too anti scientific much like " The Walking Dead".
I'll pitch a series they should do if they dare to do it and do it justice. The downfall of The Illuminati and the restoration of free society. Have The Illuminati and their machinations be exposed through a massive security breach like with Wikileaks. Planned mass disease outbreaks, mind control, political assassinations, everything they do gets exposed and all hell breaks loose as they fight to regroup and maintain control of a world population turned against them. Entire governments collapse( ours first and foremost), mega corporations go under, moguls go into hiding, celebrities get exposed and ruined. Not to mention the media is ripped to pieces. But the NWO will not go quietly and they have many weapons at their disposal. The Bilderbergs, Bohemian Grove, the Federal Reserve the DNC and the GOP would fight to the end even as their world falls apart.
The cool thing would be that assumed adversaries in politics and media would be exposed as being secret allies and those once assumed to be enemies turn to each other to try to survive their former supporters who now revile them.
Imagine past and present presidents, senators, congressmen, billionaires, major politicos, all being rounded up and seen serving time in prison. Others aren't so lucky.
Major characters stepping up to seek to restore order would be low level feds who have to turn on their former bosses, internet crazies now proven right, military leaders now forced to assume control but not knowing who to trust.
I know they'd never go for it, but what a series.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:58 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
I binge watched (only 8 episodes) the final season because I was away when the series came back. I enjoyed the 3 season story but I never got into the characters for this show. I really didn't care about any of them. I don't know why. In shows where I've watched the entire series, there is at least one character I care about. I suspect I will easily forget it and never watch it again.

One thing I was glad about. The brought Iris DeMent's "Let The Mystery Be" back for the finale. That other tune just didn't work for me.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:55 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I binge watched (only 8 episodes) the final season because I was away when the series came back. I enjoyed the 3 season story but I never got into the characters for this show. I really didn't care about any of them. I don't know why. In shows where I've watched the entire series, there is at least one character I care about. I suspect I will easily forget it and never watch it again.

One thing I was glad about. The brought Iris DeMent's "Let The Mystery Be" back for the finale. That other tune just didn't work for me.
I love that song! I was so disappointed when that was no longer the theme song.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:37 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,532 times
Entertaining season 3. I enjoyed how it wrapped up the storylines with Nora's account of where the 2% and gone. She was relieved that Kevin believed her. That had to be weighing on her pretty heavily to go 20 years without being able to explain where you went.

Old 06-05-2020, 03:19 AM

307 posts, read 99,965 times
I'm watching this for the first time.

I liked season 1 very much, but the atmosphere of season 2 doesn't suit me at all. It's all about suspense and it creates a terrible sense of anxiety. They keep dealing with side stories and they stretch some (for the story rather irrelevant) event for the whole hour. I constantly wait for the series to get back on track. I'm in the middle of the episode 5 and the whole episode just makes me annoyed, but doesn't contribute to the story almost at all. That's already a half of the season...

If it goes on like this - I'm not sure if it's worth watching until the end.

I tortured myself through "Lost" and this creates an even deeper sense of anxiety...

Old 06-05-2020, 02:58 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrea View Post
I'm watching this for the first time.

I liked season 1 very much, but the atmosphere of season 2 doesn't suit me at all. It's all about suspense and it creates a terrible sense of anxiety. They keep dealing with side stories and they stretch some (for the story rather irrelevant) event for the whole hour. I constantly wait for the series to get back on track. I'm in the middle of the episode 5 and the whole episode just makes me annoyed, but doesn't contribute to the story almost at all. That's already a half of the season...

If it goes on like this - I'm not sure if it's worth watching until the end.

I tortured myself through "Lost" and this creates an even deeper sense of anxiety...
What are you watching it on? I may have missed the last season....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV