Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 04:50 PM

17,379 posts, read 13,150,314 times

Advertisements

I last night's interview with Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer was disrespectful. From the crazy intro, through the interview to cutting Breyer off, Colbert was an ass.

I am not a fan of Breyer, but he deserves the same respect that Biden got.

I know Colbert is a comedian, but there is a time and a place for everything. Last night was just wrong.

I still like the show and will continue to watch as long as a repeat of last night doesn't occur (I can only hope)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 08:25 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,552,027 times
has this guy found his closet yet?

I mean all the prancing around, pirouetting, high leg kicks and singing of Broadway tunes.

a serious Catholic upbringing and repression?

just a thought.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:01 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,241,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I last night's interview with Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer was disrespectful. From the crazy intro, through the interview to cutting Breyer off, Colbert was an ass.

I know Colbert is a comedian, but there is a time and a place for everything. Last night was just wrong.

I still like the show and will continue to watch as long as a repeat of last night doesn't occur (I can only hope)
I just watched it. What was the disrespectful part? Breyer gave a number of lengthy, thoughtful, and informative answers without interruption. Colbert didn't cut him off. The segment ran out of time right when Breyer completed his answer about working with his colleagues, and may even have been extended to allow him time to complete his answer. There was some (not very good) humor thrown in, but it's a show hosted by a comedian, so that's to be expected. That isn't disrespectful.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:30 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,627,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I just watched it. What was the disrespectful part? Breyer gave a number of lengthy, thoughtful, and informative answers without interruption. Colbert didn't cut him off. The segment ran out of time right when Breyer completed his answer about working with his colleagues, and may even have been extended to allow him time to complete his answer. There was some (not very good) humor thrown in, but it's a show hosted by a comedian, so that's to be expected. That isn't disrespectful.
I didn't perceive it as disrespectful either and thought it was a very good interview.

Plus, Novak Djokovic.
Bonus points for that, short as it was.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:52 PM

1,991 posts, read 892,612 times
Quote:

Disrespectful? I'll will say this. Colbert could have given a little more deference to Beyer with this interview than with the usual movie slubbing guest. I also thought the segment could have been given a lot more time. On the plus side, what other late night talk show has had a Supreme on lately.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'm sorry I didn't save the episode, so I can't give specifics. Your comment about the "not very good" humor kinda sums it up.

He interviewed Breyer in an entirely different way that he did with Biden. Yes he is a comedian, but there is a time to be funny and tease and a time to get serious.

That's what makes a good host

Old 09-16-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
On the plus side, what other late night talk show has had a Supreme on lately.
That's what I said to my wife. I can't remember ever seeing a Justice on anything other than a news show.
I would have loved to have seen an "in depth" discussion. That would have been historic.

Colbert whiffed a slow ball right down the center of the strike zone and there is no joy in Muddvile - Mighty Colbert has struck out

Old 09-17-2015, 02:34 PM

9,510 posts, read 16,423,314 times
I watched his show for for a 2nd time last night. I only watched for maybe 20 minutes. I just can't get into it, something seems missing from it. Perhaps Late Night TV is starting to come to an end in this country. I liked the original Late Night Shows, but they are long gone now. I hope Colbert's show will find and keep an audience, and be a success for the man. For me though I think my time with Late Night is over. It would be interesting to know if many viewers use to Letterman, will continue watching now that Colbert has the controls. I hope so.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:50 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,241,411 times
Quote:

He interviewed Breyer in an entirely different way that he did with Biden. Yes he is a comedian, but there is a time to be funny and tease and a time to get serious.
The only similarity between Biden and Breyer is that they both get paychecks from the federal government. A Biden style interview wouldn't have worked very well with Breyer, because the general public knows virtually nothing about Breyer. We know a lot about Biden, however, and that is why the interview with him was a success.

I thought the interview was mostly serious. It wasn't the big joke you're making it out to be. For example, Breyer offered a well thought out insight into the inner workings of the court, and why allowing cameras in the courtroom would cause further confusion about how the court functions. (Something the vast majority of people have very little understanding of as it is.) He also spoke thoughtfully about the working relationship between the justices.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:19 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,485,160 times
Come on people.

I can't think of a single comedy show that was brilliant right out of the starting gate. I thought "Parks and Rec" (one of my top three shows of all-time ) was a lame imitation of "The Office" when it first aired. But then the writing jelled, everyone got comfortable, they figured out what worked, and - bam! Magic! Fallon was pretty flat the first few weeks, too.

There are some brilliant bits, and some cringe-worthy bits. He is doing a lot of intentional, and IMO, g-d funny parodies of other talk shows. Believe me, he is in on the joke.

On the other hand, I agree he needs to stop the dancing and let up on the singing.

Give it time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV