Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:02 PM

22,918 posts, read 28,268,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Joan Rivers did fill in for Johnny Carson at one time.
Yeah, but I always got the impression Johnny let her fill in to fill the audience with such pain and horror that they'd shower him with roses when he came back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 04:12 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Not a fan of Colbert. I hope he fails.
That's kind of mean spirited, isn't it? If you don't like him, just don't watch.

I mean, I don't like baseball, football, golf, etc. ... but it's okay with me if you all want to watch it.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:26 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
That's kind of mean spirited, isn't it? If you don't like him, just don't watch.

I mean, I don't like baseball, football, golf, etc. ... but it's okay with me if you all want to watch it.
No. I don't think I am as meanspirited as he is. Be on the receiving end of his one sided slanted comedy routine and see how you'd like it.
I don't demean his point of view.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:36 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
Colbert will be a guest on Letterman's show this coming Tuesday, FWIW.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:26 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
I don't like Colbert's interviews on the Reporr...because it is hard to do satire with another person without making that other person look awkward. I usually just watch the first half of the show!

I like John Stewart's interviews better, and not so much his first half.

I will miss the Colberrrr Reporrrr so much. What a talented bunch of writers!

And I think we need to give a lot of credit to the writing teams of all these shows. The star is important, but if the writing isn't good, they are screwed! I'm hoping that the Colberrrrr Reporrrr writers find great jobs where I can watch their future work!

I don't watch late night...only recently have fallen in love with Jimmy Fallon's musical stylings. So I will have to catch Fallon and Colbert in broad daylight to see if I like the new shows!

Old 04-16-2014, 09:29 AM

850 posts, read 1,026,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Really thought Craig Ferguson would take that Letterman spot. He is just the greatest. Just imagine how wonderful he would be with a band....................why the rush to pick a replacement? Steve is a talented person, should be interesting!!
How big of a snub is this to CraigyFerg? Isn't he also part of WorldWidePants? The Craig is my fave too but lately I think he's been saying "you're a racist" too often to the producer guy and the fake fire place abuse antics were being overdone. Reminded me of when Letterman ran stuff into the ground - "canned hams" and "kissed or touched any monkeys." I'm not up on what the Dave does now but Colbert will bring me back.
I'll be very curious to see wat the real Steve is like - would this be the stuff he did with Amy Sedaris?

IMHO Fallon taking over the tonight show is another sign the end is near. :-) Chelsea Lately is another near end indicator but she's my guilt pleasure and she's a very close 2nd to Craig for me. I'll usually watch Kimmel before Craig and download Conan and Letterdude when they have guests I really like.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:11 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
No. I don't think I am as meanspirited as he is. Be on the receiving end of his one sided slanted comedy routine and see how you'd like it.
I don't demean his point of view.
You don't demean his point of view, but you just hate him as a person? Were you actually interviewed by Colbert on his show or are just vicariously on the "receiving end of his one sided slanted comedy"?

It's comedy, dude. Get off your high horse and enjoy it or turn the channel.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:23 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
I've been a fan of Letterman for over 30 years and will truly miss him. But I think the choice of Colbert as a replacement is inspired. He's quick-witted and a genuinely nice guy.

What I wonder/worry about is whether Paul and his band will remain.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:51 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
I believe Stephen's interviews could be confusing for those not familiar with his interview style. In most cases, the interviewees know exactly what they're getting into when they agree to appear. The exception being, the first couple of conservative congressman who agreed to appear because they believed he was a conservative. Very funny. I've learned about several book and subsequently read from interviews conducted by Stewart and Colbert.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:50 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Premieres tonight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV