Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 09:37 PM

561 posts, read 1,179,841 times

Advertisements

The annoucement of Stephen Colbert eventually succeeding Letterman had me think about both The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. While I still think Colbert is consistently funny, it seems like for the last several weeks The Daily Show has mostly fallen flat and stale. To me, it seems like Stewart and Co are mostly doing variations of the stories we've already seen. This seems especially true of Samantha Bee; to me, it seems like most of the last several stories she's done have basically had the same theme and personna.

I have a hypothesis for why this is: It seems like TDS began declining shortly after John Oliver left to develop his HBO series. I don't know if this is the reason, it could well be coicidence, but the timeline seems eerily indicative. Some might not now this, but Oliver wasn't just a correspondent, he was one of TDS most important writers and creative contributors.

It's also possible that maybe Jon Stewart has just run his course as host, and is now in the early stages of creative decline that seems inevitable. I don't know what it is exactly, but for at least the last 2-3mos TDS has just seemed stale and redundant. I hate to say this, but there isn't significant improvement soon they might want to consider finding a successor for Jon.

Please don't hate me for saying that. I have absolutey loved him, and the contributions he's made to sociopolitical satire and political discourse can't be overstated. But eventually even the most vibrant, creative individual runs out of steam. Maybe Jon's tenure as host has run it's creative course?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 09:44 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Haven't seen in a while but I thought Stewart had slid too far to one side when I did.

Early on he took his shots all over.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:29 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Every night recently has been about Crimea. Seriously? There is a lot more material out there.

You may be right about losing an important writer - that is the key to the host's success.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:35 PM

561 posts, read 1,179,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Every night recently has been about Crimea. Seriously? There is a lot more material out there.
Yeah, I noticed that as well. They've done so much about putting eccentric dictatorial personality that's it's just kind of redundant now.

But I think it runs deeper than that: the humor directed at Fox News has become repetitive. But then again Fox News itself is monotonous, so maybe that's the point. [I will admit, the bit they did about Fox's spring break coverage was pretty funny.]

Old 04-15-2014, 03:22 AM

579 posts, read 761,673 times
I posted this very question a month ago in another subforum: Politics and Controversies

As someone that voted for Obama in 2008, I agree that Jon has gone too far to one side. He takes occasional jabs at Obama but it's nowhere near the amount of blame he threw on Bush. Bottomline: Jon is not willing to take racial/cultural shots at Obama like he did GWB. In that regard, he should step down and be replaced. The show has absolutely no edge. He throws "liberal guests" complete softballs during interviews, so much so that I have found myself rolling my eyes and changing the channel. He's turned into Mister Political Correctness and it's insulting as the viewer.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:24 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
I just don't think there's as much material out there … Bush and Cheney are gone and he really can't poke at Obama, mainly because if he does an impression of Obama, like he did Bush and Cheney, he'd be declared a racist. But the main reason is because Obama is boring.

I'm grown tired of Samantha Bee's schtick of looking like she's fretting all the time. I love Jason Jones though.

TDS usually picks up steam during elections.

He's also had some dud interviews as well. I was surprised by how hard it was to watch Pele be interviewed and Stewart seemed to be struggling as well.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:10 AM

579 posts, read 761,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I just don't think there's as much material out there … Bush and Cheney are gone and he really can't poke at Obama, mainly because if he does an impression of Obama, like he did Bush and Cheney, he'd be declared a racist. But the main reason is because Obama is boring.

I'm grown tired of Samantha Bee's schtick of looking like she's fretting all the time. I love Jason Jones though.

TDS usually picks up steam during elections.

He's also had some dud interviews as well. I was surprised by how hard it was to watch Pele be interviewed and Stewart seemed to be struggling as well.
Agree completely but this makes him a hypocritical reverse racist. So I've steadily tuned in less to his program. It still records daily but I only watch once a week/2 weeks. If he can't state the truth behind the cover of comedy, what is the point of watching him? Colbert does his job better and if I want a realistic opinion on World affairs I'll go to ground zero perspectives. Jon no longer has a place if he is not willing to treat everyone equally. He's become the very person he ridiculed on his show for decades.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:28 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,016,782 times
I'd agree that The Daily Show has perhapes lost a step lately, since Jon Stewart came back from his film directorial project over the Summer, when John Oliver held down the fort. It seems like he's been forcing the jokes and exaggerating the reactions a bit too much these days. I wonder if he's taken his foot off the gas pedal a bit, thinking his future lies with more film projects. If that's the case, I hope his film is an utter flop, so he gets back his mojo with The Daily Show.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:50 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
I'd agree that The Daily Show has perhapes lost a step lately, since Jon Stewart came back from his film directorial project over the Summer, when John Oliver held down the fort. It seems like he's been forcing the jokes and exaggerating the reactions a bit too much these days. I wonder if he's taken his foot off the gas pedal a bit, thinking his future lies with more film projects. If that's the case, I hope his film is an utter flop, so he gets back his mojo with The Daily Show.
I get the sense that Jon Stewart wants to do more directing and other kind of work, but he's painted himself into a corner. The success/failure of his movie isn't going to change anything if he's already mentally checked out.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:19 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Actually, no. Any President is open to criticism. However, it has to be actual, topic related criticism and not anything that really is veiled racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV