Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 05:11 PM

42 posts, read 57,118 times

Advertisements

Why do so many TV shows (especially anything on NBC) revolve around New York City? What is so important about New York City? 90% of these shows taking place in NYC are actually filmed in Los Angeles, which makes the whole thing contradicting.

If New York City is so important, they should have the tv shows and movies being filmed in New York City. Only a small percentage of TV shows are actually filmed in New York City.

Anyone else notice this though about TV shows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 05:20 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,227,678 times
I hadn't really noticed (part of that may be because I don't watch any NBC shows), but I'm guessing $$$$ is a big factor. Why spend money to film in NYC at a premium (because everything there is expensive) when you have perfectly good sets already available in LA?

Old 04-15-2014, 05:26 PM

42 posts, read 57,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I hadn't really noticed (part of that may be because I don't watch any NBC shows), but I'm guessing $$$$ is a big factor. Why spend money to film in NYC at a premium (because everything there is expensive) when you have perfectly good sets already available in LA?
That makes sense, but why do so many of these shows usually chose New York as the state to be depicted?

Old 04-15-2014, 05:40 PM

579 posts, read 757,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwa2k14 View Post
That makes sense, but why do so many of these shows usually chose New York as the state to be depicted?
Because NY is a global mecca. It's near Europe & has strong Latino roots. Los Angeles with Mexicans & Asians just doesn't compare. It's also a far more laid back life style which doesn't make good reality TV

Old 04-15-2014, 06:00 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,227,678 times
Quote:
Because the creators of the show like NYC?

Old 04-15-2014, 06:16 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,666,632 times
Im not sure that this is the case anymore.

Granted there are several shows based in NYC but the trend seems to be moving away

From NBC's schedule

"Chicago Fire" and "Chicago PD" - Chicago
"Parks and Recreation" - Indiana
"Parenthood" - California
"Hannibal" - Minnesota
"Blacklist" - DC

just to name a few

That said, the reasons people named (global mecca) are the reasons NYC has been used so much over the years.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:15 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,264,706 times
A big part of it is because that's what the writers know. Most writers start out either in LA or NYC.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:04 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,254,643 times
Quote:
Why do so many TV shows (especially anything on NBC) revolve around New York City? What is so important about New York City? 90% of these shows taking place in NYC are actually filmed in Los Angeles, which makes the whole thing contradicting.

If New York City is so important, they should have the tv shows and movies being filmed in New York City. Only a small percentage of TV shows are actually filmed in New York City.

Anyone else notice this though about TV shows?
Because New York City is a great character. It’s completely unique and instantly identifiable. Is setting a show in Indianapolis appreciably different than setting a show in Minneapolis?

TV is also about aspirational escapism—and many people romanticize New York and even aspire to live there.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:25 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,587,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Because New York City is a great character. It’s completely unique and instantly identifiable. Is setting a show in Indianapolis appreciably different than setting a show in Minneapolis?

TV is also about aspirational escapism—and many people romanticize New York and even aspire to live there.
This.

"White Collar" and "Suits" are great examples, particularly WC. The city is as important a character in these stories as the actors.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:20 PM

741 posts, read 1,373,917 times
It really lessens my enjoyment or potential enjoyment of a show to find out that it is set in NYC but not filmed there.

Years and years ago I was so disappointed to learn that NYPD Blue went to NY once a season to film some location scenes but otherwise they filmed in LA.

One of the reasons I stick with the L&O shows, and still watch some repeats is twofold. One is that they really film there and the other is that having once worked for the soap As the World Turns, which always filmed in the New York area, many of its alumni cycle through L&O.

As tpk-nyc posted: "New York City is a great character".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV