Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 10:18 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times

Advertisements

They're just filling in time until the Jody Arias trial starts back up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 10:23 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Every late night show host has made jokes about the over-coverage of the missing plane on CNN. People all over the internet are complaining about it, except that journalistic genius Greta Van Susteren who apparently believes the Malaysian government feels pressured by CNN?

I guess I am the only one defending CNN on this one ... | Gretawire

Old 04-21-2014, 10:41 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
It has now become SPOOKY.
Does anyone in the media know whyCNN has been doing this idiocy?

Old 04-21-2014, 10:56 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,211 times
The back and forth in the comments section of the CNN website articles are pretty hysterical, you would think they would attempt to moderate it a bit.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:23 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
I'm sick of the coverage as well. But I also realize that this story will eventually pass and be replaced with another story that will dominate for longer than needed.

Best to get your news online. I get mine from nbcnews.com and can quickly move past a story I care nothing about.

I just hate when I'm stuck having to watch it in some waiting room. Last thing I want to see while waiting for my car to be fixed is screaming and crying family members with news cameras in their faces not letting them grieve properly. They are doing the same thing now with the ferry disaster.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:49 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
CNN is on the air 24/7 so they have to fill up their broadcasts with something. CNN is also in the entertainment business and their success relies upon good ratings, thus the sensational gets more coverage than the substantial. I blame the population as much or more than the news agencies for lightweight content. If substantial stories drew better ratings than the fluffy, juicy, lurid or tragic ones, then we would be getting more substantial stories.

I pay very little attention to televised news, pretty much only when there is a breaking story that lends itself to interesting visuals. I prefer to read my news, that way I control the focus. I can skip that which strikes me as irrelevant without wasting time. On televised news you have to wait through whatever they are covering.

I have been doing this for quite some time now, it dates back to when President Clinton had been subpenaed to give a deposition in the Paula Jones harassment lawsuit. It took place on a Saturday and CNN devoted its entire day to covering the story.

Only there was no story. The testimony was to be sealed by the courts, so nothing was going to be learned about what was said. The CNN crew was camped out in front of the office building where the deposition took place, and Clinton and the other participants came and went via a back entrance, so there were not even any visuals to add to the story. Still, they were out there all day talking about the lawsuit or anything else they could think of to fill the time.

It was six hours of nothing, no news, no pictures, no reason to be there at all.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:44 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
I don't bother to watch CNN anymore. It's one overkill/faux-crisis to the next. Al Jazeera America and Current TV are the only news stations which even attempt investigative journalism these days.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:35 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
CNN is on the air 24/7 so they have to fill up their broadcasts with something. CNN is also in the entertainment business and their success relies upon good ratings, thus the sensational gets more coverage than the substantial.
I wouldn't think that covering the same story over and over and over again for weeks on end would help with their ratings.

I don't watch CNN regularly, but every single time I have turned it the past few weeks, it has been nothing but the Malaysian airplane situation. So for the past several days, I haven't bothered with CNN at all. It's not that I have no compassion about the passengers and their families, but until there is some REAL news about it, I'd like to hear some other stories.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:08 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
It's not that I have no compassion about the passengers and their families, but until there is some REAL news about it, I'd like to hear some other stories.
Exactly - we've got Mr. Putin channeling his inner Stalin, and the continuing domestic shenanigans, among other things, that are much more newsworthy than this story where nothing new seems to be happening.

Is CNN aware the Stanley Cup playoffs have begun??

Old 04-22-2014, 01:54 AM

579 posts, read 762,042 times
I stopped watching CNN 3 years ago. Obvious bias. I actually use to think they were middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV