Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 12:36 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Speaking of Lincoln, Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln... damn, but then the dude could play anyone on the planet.
Shoot. Let him play Martin Luther King or Ho Chi Minh or La Lupe. Then I'll be impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 01:20 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,740 times
Aren't there about a dozen threads like this floating around the Entertainment forum?

Old 04-24-2014, 02:59 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A Southern accent is a bit more forgiving for a foreigner. Some people have awful middle-America accents.
I've always thought it was the opposite: foreigners can do middle American accents pretty well, but southern accents not so much. That's no knock on foreigners. I think most American actors do terrible southern accents. They try just a little too hard.

Colin Farrell sounds like any regular American who could be from anywhere (to my ears). If someone told me that Chiwetel Ejiofor grew up in a lily-white suburb of Minneapolis, I would have believed them. I had no idea most of these actors were foreign until looking them up on Wiki or hearing them speak with their native accents.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:07 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well maybe not more but...

Idris Elba "aka" Stringer Bell notorious black notorious Baltimore drug lord on HBO's "The Wire." Born in London who knew

Damian Lewis "aka" Maj Richard Williams (Band of Brothers) and now Marine Sgt. Nicholas Brody (Homeland) another one from London.

Poppy Montgomery (Poppy should have been a dead give away) "aka" FBI SA Samantha Spade (Without a Trace). Sydney Australia

I know there are a lot more but why should I have all the fun...

Also, a friend and I were talking about this and we couldn't think of a single American Actor who could play a foreign role better than someone from that country, got any ideas?
I read an interview with Poppy Montgomery. She explained that her natural accent has become so Americanized that when she tries to speak in an Aussie accent her family makes fun of her. I've always liked her, but I'm not a fan of the new lips, it's hard to look at anything else.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:09 PM

I don't know why Americans are always so surprised that Brits can do American accents so well. They take in pretty much all of our media. When Kanye West blows up on the radio, they see and hear it. When Charlie Sheen talks about "winning" and "tiger blood," they watch him. Pretty much every Hollywood blockbuster or Billboard Top 40 song makes its away across the pond to Brits of all socioeconomic classes.

Americans generally aren't exposed that much to British media. You would have to actively seek out Chipmunk or Tinie Tempah. They're not going to play any of that on American radio unless they have a video that becomes a YouTube sensation.

If we were exposed to more British media, we would probably be able to mimic the accents better. A lot of the younger generation--from Massachusetts to Mississippi--is speaking more "neutrally" thanks to Clueless, Saved by the Bell, Nickelodeon, Gilmore Girls, etc. I'd imagine they'd be able to do British accents pretty well if they heard them more.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:25 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Americans generally aren't exposed that much to British media. You would have to actively seek out Chipmunk or Tinie Tempah. They're not going to play any of that on American radio unless they have a video that becomes a YouTube sensation.
Accents rarely come across in music though, and that's being limiting. Plenty of Americans watch Doctor Who, Downton Abbey, Sherlock, Harry Potter, James Bond, even Game of Thrones, etc. and are very used to British accents.

Maybe part of the reason why I can see through so many of these accents is that I watch so much British media. Some people were surprised by, say, Damien Lewis being British, but I first saw him as Soames in the Forsyte Saga.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:26 PM

Diane Kruger speaks perfect "American" English, which is impressive considering she didn't move to the United States until she was 21. Most immigrants--particularly those that didn't grow up with English as a first language--never really develop a clean American accent. Hers is marvelous. IMO, it's tougher to lose an accent as an adult because adults are typically too PC to say anything about it (other than "it's adorable" or "where are you from?"). Kids, on the other hand, aren't the least bashful about teasing you to death until you become hyper-conscious of that accent and eventually "correct" it.

Kudos to her for learning to speak such flawless English.

Diane Kruger on Jimmy Kimmel Live PART 1 - YouTube

Old 04-24-2014, 03:41 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't know why Americans are always so surprised that Brits can do American accents so well. They take in pretty much all of our media. When Kanye West blows up on the radio, they see and hear it. When Charlie Sheen talks about "winning" and "tiger blood," they watch him. Pretty much every Hollywood blockbuster or Billboard Top 40 song makes its away across the pond to Brits of all socioeconomic classes.

If we were exposed to more British media, we would probably be able to mimic the accents better. A lot of the younger generation--from Massachusetts to Mississippi--is speaking more "neutrally" thanks to Clueless, Saved by the Bell, Nickelodeon, Gilmore Girls, etc. I'd imagine they'd be able to do British accents pretty well if they heard them more.
Netflix is changing that, many British shows have become popular with Americans looking for quality TV to watch.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Accents rarely come across in music though, and that's being limiting. Plenty of Americans watch Doctor Who, Downton Abbey, Harry Potter, James Bond, even Game of Thrones, etc. and are very used to British accents.
But it's not nearly to the same extent. Many more of our movies make it over to their theaters than vice versa. You could be on the Paris Metro and see ads plastered everywhere for completely terrible movies. Complete bombs. The foreign films that make it over here are usually shown in smaller independent theaters. But you could have a completely cheesy movie like White House Down or Salt do pretty well in the UK.

Just look at the Top 50 highest grossing movies of all time (worlwide). The only ones that don't have American accents are Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean and arguably Shrek ("Donnnnkay!"). Adjusting for inflation, only Doctor Zhivago makes the list. Even the ones that feature foreign accents, like Harry Potter, are American productions. That movie was pushed and produced by Warner Brothers, not some British company. Same thing with Lord of the Rings (New Line Cinema). Hollywood's clout and influence is simply unmatched.

List of highest-grossing films - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Maybe part of the reason why I can see through so many of these accents is that I watch so much British media. Some people were surprised by, say, Damien Lewis being British, but I first saw him as Soames in the Forsyte Saga.
Most Americans don't watch British media, so they're not going to be able to tell the difference. For the most part, Bajans (Barbadians) go to three places: New York, London and Toronto. I couldn't even tell the difference after hearing many British Bajans.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Netflix is changing that, many British shows have become popular with Americans looking for quality TV to watch.
That's fine. But I'm not talking about the few examples that are out there. If you look at the box office revenues for American blockbusters in England and compare it to the revenues for English films in America, I'm sure there's a big difference. We're a much bigger country and we have the most powerful media industry in the world.

This video says it all.

Russian Army - Get Lucky Cover ( Daft Punk) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV