Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 07:28 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,470,817 times

Advertisements

I personally love Alfred's character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 01:07 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,766,516 times
I've enjoyed the season so far. The only disappointment was Jerome's death. Other than that it's been fun each week to sit back and watch Riddler, Penguin and Cat Woman slowly transform into the villains we know them to be.

I agree with reed067. The show is about Gordon in his younger days. Who knew he was this much of a tough guy? I don't see his relationship with Lee lasting past this season. I said in earlier post that we've yet to meet Barbara's mother and I still believe that.

The show's also about Gotham itself and how truly bad things were systemwise. It's eye opening how interwoven crime, politics and law enforcement were in the city's pre-Batman days. As for Bruce? I can accept the show's depiction of him because he's still a child and hasn't truly begun his journey to become Batman yet.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:01 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesG73 View Post

I agree with reed067. The show is about Gordon in his younger days. Who knew he was this much of a tough guy? I don't see his relationship with Lee lasting past this season. I said in earlier post that we've yet to meet Barbara's mother and I still believe that.

The show's also about Gotham itself and how truly bad things were systemwise. It's eye opening how interwoven crime, politics and law enforcement were in the city's pre-Batman days. As for Bruce? I can accept the show's depiction of him because he's still a child and hasn't truly begun his journey to become Batman yet.

Gordon was a Marine so he was tough to start with. I'm not sure what he did while we was a Marine though. Watch Year One, it give you a good idea how tough he was too. I can see this version of Bruce becoming Batman he's still very young at this point but you can watch him become Batman & watch him push himself & his mind.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:06 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,529 times
I read another review elsewhere pointing out the fact that they are pushing a lot of canon villains into Gotham without balancing it out with the "hero" aka Batman. What's happening as the stories develop is that they are replacing Batman with Gordon and imbuing him with the qualities of Batman -- I don't like that.

What they ought to do or should have done was have that time skip with Bruce, starting him in his late teens at the start of the series. The development of his characterization of Batman is sl.....ooooo......w and watching him go through growing pains is, well painful. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he start going through his transformation in his twenties? Wouldn't it be cool for him to be going through training? Or show how he excels using gadgets, his mind? I mean they could appeal to a whole new audience with his late teenage angst in high school and in college. But okay, sequester him to his mansion ... meh.

But I must admit, they don't drag out story lines, which I love. Two episodes of Gotham is equivalent of an entire season of The Walking Dead.

I also read an article from Variety stating that the writers/producers wanted to represent The Joker more as an ideology in Gotham rather than a physical entity solely representing that ideology. So I suppose they were hinting at a revival of sorts with another person to fill that role.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:40 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post

What they ought to do or should have done was have that time skip with Bruce, starting him in his late teens at the start of the series. The development of his characterization of Batman is sl.....ooooo......w and watching him go through growing pains is, well painful. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he start going through his transformation in his twenties? Wouldn't it be cool for him to be going through training? Or show how he excels using gadgets, his mind? I mean they could appeal to a whole new audience with his late teenage angst in high school and in college. But okay, sequester him to his mansion ... meh..
That would have been better, yes.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I read another review elsewhere pointing out the fact that they are pushing a lot of canon villains into Gotham without balancing it out with the "hero" aka Batman. What's happening as the stories develop is that they are replacing Batman with Gordon and imbuing him with the qualities of Batman -- I don't like that.

What they ought to do or should have done was have that time skip with Bruce, starting him in his late teens at the start of the series. The development of his characterization of Batman is sl.....ooooo......w and watching him go through growing pains is, well painful. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he start going through his transformation in his twenties? Wouldn't it be cool for him to be going through training? Or show how he excels using gadgets, his mind? I mean they could appeal to a whole new audience with his late teenage angst in high school and in college. But okay, sequester him to his mansion ... meh.

I think you might be missing the point, this isn't about Batman sure they show him as a 12 year old I forget his age in this. Gordon is the hero here not Bruce/Batman. He does show him on some emotional level dealing with the death of his parents.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:00 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I think you might be missing the point, this isn't about Batman sure they show him as a 12 year old I forget his age in this. Gordon is the hero here not Bruce/Batman. He does show him on some emotional level dealing with the death of his parents.
I don't think I am missing the point. Rather confused as to why bring out characters associated with Batman if the focus is on Gordon? Catwoman, Riddler, Joker, Penguin, and few others are all part of what makes Batman, not Gordon. Gordon isn't, was never as clever as Batman and yet his image is made into everything Batman but Batman in name. It's like having foreplay and no sex -- why tease us.

And I understand what you are saying about his emotional development, but it's season two. Catwoman is there, all in but "the name". Joker was made full blown, as Joker is very much a part of the Batman saga as Bruce is. Riddler, Penguin, all these villains fleshed out and we have yet to see any development of "Batman", TEASE! Gordon is a secondary character, it's he who calls upon Batman to deal with these villains. They kind of work in tandem together, not Gordon coddling Bruce .... I forgot that was a point of contention for me about the series.

Yes I agree, it's a show about Gordon, make it about Gordon, stop teasing us with villains associated with Batman, make it a Gotham cop-drama then.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:03 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
I don't think I am missing the point. Rather confused as to why bring out characters associated with Batman if the focus is on Gordon? Catwoman, Riddler, Joker, Penguin, and few others are all part of what makes Batman, not Gordon. Gordon isn't, was never as clever as Batman and yet his image is made into everything Batman but Batman in name. It's like having foreplay and no sex -- why tease us.

And I understand what you are saying about his emotional development, but it's season two. Catwoman is there, all in but "the name". Joker was made full blown, as Joker is very much a part of the Batman saga as Bruce is. Riddler, Penguin, all these villains fleshed out and we have yet to see any development of "Batman", TEASE! Gordon is a secondary character, it's he who calls upon Batman to deal with these villains. They kind of work in tandem together, not Gordon coddling Bruce .... I forgot that was a point of contention for me about the series.

Yes I agree, it's a show about Gordon, make it about Gordon, stop teasing us with villains associated with Batman, make it a Gotham cop-drama then.
This is my point, too. If they're going to bring out the Batman villains at all, keep them as nascent as Batman himself at this point.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:31 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Just a realization that these writers aren't necessarily going where we think they're going.
That's what makes the show interesting!

Old 11-19-2015, 03:21 PM

I have to wonder in this version of Batman storyline will Barbara & Gordon get married? PLEASE keep in mind we only have Netflix so no spoilers My guess is that this is a different universe then usual.
Just a guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV