Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 04:15 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times

Advertisements

I think I made a mistake with the SMART Samsung TV. However the die is cast.

It only offers me certain things, like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus,,,,,,,only paid subscription things.

If I get a wireless keyboard, can I access things like ABC.com, cable news channels, things like that?

I am paying $149 + taxes for TV, internet, and phone. Not a horrible deal, but prices go up soon and on my budget that is a lot (the TV was a gift).

I'd like to get rid of cable, perhaps get Vonage for the phone, and find a decently priced internet service.

The cable portion is only $60 with the bundle discounts. I fear that purchasing the various things to replace it will not really save me that much, and I'd have to wait a year to see many things!

That is OK with me to save a LOT, but not a little.

Perhaps a Roku or something with a non-smart TV would have made more sense, but again the die is cast ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 04:38 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Chromecast will allow you to project anything you can enjoy on your computer up on your television.

There is no free lunch. There's a reason why millions of people pay subscription fees. They're not dummies - they're getting value for what they're paying for.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:50 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I'd like to get rid of cable, perhaps get Vonage for the phone, and find a decently priced internet service.
I assume you have a Mobile phone as well. Mobile phone service with unlimited voice is much more affordable. A Bluetooth gateway from X-link for $50 or VTECHPHONES.com will sell you a three handset DECT system for your home that is bluetooth enabled. You plug your mobile phone to recharge near the base set while you are at home, and the cell rings through the handsets while you are at home. You can also make calls as well.

As another backup, Google Voice is free to all domestic calls all the time. You can get a USB phone for $20-$40 if you don't like yelling into your computer microphone. If you forget your cell phone, you need a backup. Why pay for Vonage?

The triple play bundles have a lot of fees associated with the phones that makes them more expensive than they look.

Check your cable company. Sometimes they don't advertise it, but they will give you a limited package of over the air channels with your internet for not much more than the rental of the set top box. At least you have a backup for football, and a few series.

At $7 for Netflix you may have a more affordable overall package.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Chromecast will allow you to project anything you can enjoy on your computer up on your television.

There is no free lunch. There's a reason why millions of people pay subscription fees. They're not dummies - they're getting value for what they're paying for.
I don't watch anything on my computer. I have one, old, old laptop. It doesn't even have an audio device!

If it were not my only pc, I could use it to connect to TV, but it is.

My desktop is dead :-(

Old 05-17-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I assume you have a Mobile phone as well. Mobile phone service with unlimited voice is much more affordable. A Bluetooth gateway from X-link for $50 or VTECHPHONES.com will sell you a three handset DECT system for your home that is bluetooth enabled. You plug your mobile phone to recharge near the base set while you are at home, and the cell rings through the handsets while you are at home. You can also make calls as well.

As another backup, Google Voice is free to all domestic calls all the time. You can get a USB phone for $20-$40 if you don't like yelling into your computer microphone. If you forget your cell phone, you need a backup. Why pay for Vonage?

The triple play bundles have a lot of fees associated with the phones that makes them more expensive than they look.

Check your cable company. Sometimes they don't advertise it, but they will give you a limited package of over the air channels with your internet for not much more than the rental of the set top box. At least you have a backup for football, and a few series.

At $7 for Netflix you may have a more affordable overall package.
The Smart TV is the only technologically advanced thing that I own. No smart phone. I have a land-line, and I have a non-smart cell phone with only $10 of minutes or texts and a bit of (to me ) useless data.

Useless for the most part as it doesn't navigate well even on FB, much less anything else.

It's primarily for emergencies away from home.

As to Vonage, I saw an advert for a very low price for land-line + cell.

There is not much savings in taking my cable package to low or zero w/o changing phone and internet service.

The discounts are due to bundles.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:09 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
I don't watch anything on my computer.
It is readily possible to eliminate so many options that all the remaining alternatives seem inadequate.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:33 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
No smart phone. I have a land-line, and I have a non-smart cell phone with only $10 of minutes or texts and a bit of (to me ) useless data.
Useless for the most part as it doesn't navigate well even on FB, much less anything else.
It's primarily for emergencies away from home.
As to Vonage, I saw an advert for a very low price for land-line + cell.
Well $10/month is difficult to argue with. I'll run through the argument I made to my mother anyway, and you see if anything applies.

My mother has a mobile plan with Verizon for $29.99 per month + $7 taxes and fees which gives her 200 minutes per month + nights & weekends + unlimited Verizon to Verizon. She considers it her emergency phone and travel phone and she never runs out of minutes

I said that T-mobile is offering a plan for $40 per month + taxes, fees that offers unlimited talk and text. Why not trade in the Verizon phone and the cable VOIP line (triple play) and get one mobile phone. That should eliminate some of the fees she pays on her cable bill.

Telephone
Federal Subscriber Line Charge $8.50
Federal Excise Tax $0.26
Federal Universal Service Fund $1.41
State Sales Tax $0.30
State Gross Receipts Tax $2.07
State Telecom Relay Surcharge $0.08
City 911 Fee $1.25

The mobile phones don't work everywhere in the house (particularly the basement). But for $50 she can get an XLINK that will ring her current phones if the mobile is within yards of the XLINK.

She won't do it, and the savings are not terrific so I see no reason to press the issue. The savings only become terrific if you also drop linear cable TV and go with digital subscription services (like NETFLIX, HULU+, Hallmark Spirit, etc).

My parents pay $161 per month for their triple play +$37 mobile phone, which is a very competitive price considering it comes with STARZ, SHOWTIME, and THE MOVIE CHANNEL. But I would like to get them to try digital media since the price may go up considerably and overwhelm their food budget ($150/month per person).

Old 05-17-2014, 03:13 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
I ditched my Hulu+ a long time ago but it was only like $7/mo to be able to stream network shows.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I ditched my Hulu+ a long time ago but it was only like $7/mo to be able to stream network shows.
They don't show on abc.com, nbc.com, etc. allowing a person with a smart tv to use a wireless keyboard to access?

Kind of annoyed it didn't come with one.

navigating the browser with a remote is no use!

Old 05-17-2014, 11:33 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,122 times
Quote:
I think I made a mistake with the SMART Samsung TV. However the die is cast.

It only offers me certain things, like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus,,,,,,,only paid subscription things.

If I get a wireless keyboard, can I access things like ABC.com, cable news channels, things like that?

I am paying $149 + taxes for TV, internet, and phone. Not a horrible deal, but prices go up soon and on my budget that is a lot (the TV was a gift).

The cable portion is only $60 with the bundle discounts. I fear that purchasing the various things to replace it will not really save me that much, and I'd have to wait a year to see many things!

That is OK with me to save a LOT, but not a little.

Perhaps a Roku or something with a non-smart TV would have made more sense, but again the die is cast ;-)
You're making it harder than it has to be. First buy or borrow a amplified tv antenna, the set your tv to "air" and you're done. Unless you get a decent laptop, then you could watch movies, tv shows for free on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV