Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 12:57 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,812,226 times

Advertisements

I think Breaking Bad belongs in this conversation. It is our era's version of the Great American Novel, but in tv show format.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 01:09 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
Loved 'The Wire', haven't been able to find a TV show to keep my attention like that.....'Dexter' did for a while tho

Old 06-16-2014, 03:48 PM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The best HBO series ever was Deadwood, and it arguably is the best television series ever. For those who did watch all three seasons they watched a show that progressively got better and more interesting with each passing episode. Regrettably, production costs derailed the series and ended it after three seasons.

The set was completely realistic, the acting was superb, but what truly excelled was the script. I've never heard better writing on any television series.
Funny thing about production costs, how much does Game of Thrones cost? Likely way more than Deadwood.

Deadwood just didn't have the buzz or rabid following, which is growing, that Game of Thrones does. Carnivale would be in the same category as Deadwood. It also was a quality production which had a relatively small following and high costs. It lasted two seasons. And it had Adrienne Barbeau.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:02 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
Wire is #1 for me, especially seasons 1-4. It's an odd show in that when things are "slow" the dialogue is fast and each sentence spoken has great meaning. Stringer Bell can say something seemingly innocuous, with most people not realizing that he just ordered a hit on someone.

It doesn't work if you have ADHD. You really have to pay attention. Otherwise, you'll miss so much that the story won't make sense.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:03 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Given that I couldn't stand to watch more than two minutes of the other two shows, I would say the Game of Thrones is better.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:59 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
I don't think you can compare a show that hasn't finished its run. Some shows can have a great few seasons, then fall on their face in the finale (or final season). It takes looking at the entire body, from premiere to finale, to judge a series.

IOW, I can't rate GoT until the final episode, in June 2017.

I would put The Wire slightly ahead of The Sopranos. Both were excellent shows, but The Wire was just superb. The characters, the stories, the settings... just amazing.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:06 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I loved The Sopranos, but I think it declined badly after the first two seasons. And HBO damaged it with the long gaps between some of the seasons. I'm completely hooked on GoT, but IMHO Rome was the best series HBO has ever made, and they were complete idiots to cancel it so quickly. But GoT is catching up....
I was just about to post that! I loved Rome. I wish they had continued the series because I read their plan was to take it all the way to Palestine, which is why they had the Jewish family on it. I think that would have been fascinating. I'd love for HBO to bring the series back and go there. Maybe after the success of Game of Thrones, they'll be more willing to bankroll it.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:04 PM

997 posts, read 1,061,200 times
If we're limiting this to HBO shows, I'm going to give the edge to The Sopranos. (Yes, I'm one who thought the ending of that show was perfect!)

I really enjoy GoT; I do not read the books, but my husband does, and he does explain things to me in the story that I might miss or don't fully understand. The show is very confusing at times, and you must pay close attention and/or watch it more than once to pick up every detail. The cinematography is amazing.

Another HBO show that I loved is Six Feet Under. Absolutely brilliant, and doesn't get the recognition is deserves.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:24 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
The Wire is a masterpiece of writing whereas Game of Thrones ... is not. It's fun to watch and very good for the genre, but dialogue is very uninspired.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:45 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Still have to go with The Wire...maybe not quite as "entertaining" as the others, but the writing is still the best of any TV show ever made (including BB).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV