Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 08:43 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,910,074 times

Advertisements

No. Read the GOT books if you want to follow it somewhat...others were weekly surprises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 02:35 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,141 times
Quote:
The Wire suffered in quality as time went on as well. It was a great series overall, but the magic of that first season was not recaptured in later seasons
Really? I don't know season 4 of The Wire (the schoolkids) was pretty much mic drop tv for me. It took me 3-4 episodes to get into GoT to figure out names, alliances and whatnot since I did not read the books. I'm still catching up, even though I can't help but think it's like Lord of the Rings with mostly humans, a spikey throne, brothels and a handful of characters I just don't care about, not to mention whenever I hear "Winter is Coming" I think "Omar is coming!"

Old 07-27-2015, 03:13 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,699,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The Wire suffered in quality as time went on as well.
Really? I don't know ...
I think you missed a lot of what I wrote especially:
Quote:
Does that make it better than The Wire? Besides the fact that the jury is still out, comparing The Wire and GoT is like comparing the best rock music album to the best classical symphony. On what basis can such a comparison be made? They're not intended to achieve the same results, so any cross-comparison is going to be crude at best, based on which analogs you choose to use in the analysis, and therefore as close as The Wire and GoT will probably end up being, it would probably need to be considered a tie.
Unless you like both genres equally, you cannot rely on your personal interest to gauge which of the two series satisfies its respective criteria better than the other. At lunch after church yesterday, a friend was rattling off details and names and such like they were as familiar as her children's names, favorite colors, favorite foods, etc. It's a lot - I agree with you there - I cannot keep it all straight - but I'm not as much a fervent fan of the genre as others.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:40 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,227,327 times
Quote:
The Wire suffered in quality as time went on as well. It was a great series overall, but the magic of that first season was not recaptured in later seasons. It made it much better than The Sopranos, yes, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss GoT like that. GoT hasn't lost luster vis a vis what made its first season great.
I don't agree with two points. Which means either point.

The Wire did not suffer in quality as time went on. With five seasons, some people liked one over the other. Some loved the Kids of Four, others thought it slow. Yada yada. But I hang out in a lot of TV chat areas, and the idea that it dropped in quality over time is not universally accepted. In fact, it's not really even a majority viewpoint. The general consensus (and I read a LOT of online coverage of TV) is that it's one of the view series to end as strongly as it did.

Second, GoT did have an issue this season. Now first let me state, I'm a GoT fanboy, so in my eyes, it can (almost) do no wrong. But a great number of "regular" viewers (IOW, not fanboys) thought the first half of this last season dragged quite a bit. And they commented on it specifically because up till now, there was no dragging. Hardly ever. Which is amazing for this many seasons.

Now the final run of 3-4 episodes was incredible. And like everything else, when you're left with such a strong amazing finish, you tend to forget the lead up was not quite as good as before. So in viewers minds, Season Five became another winner. But many forget how slow it started.

But as I commented way way above, these are very different shows, and I don't think can be compared. And especially a show still running (GoT).

Old 07-28-2015, 04:37 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,699,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
The Wire did not suffer in quality as time went on.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Quote:
With five seasons, some people liked one over the other.
Who ranked Season 3, 4 or 5 higher than Season 1?

Quote:
The general consensus (and I read a LOT of online coverage of TV) is that it's one of the view series to end as strongly as it did.
Which still isn't the same as saying as it retained the same level of quality from the premiere to the finale.

Quote:
But as I commented way way above, these are very different shows, and I don't think can be compared. And especially a show still running (GoT).
Agreed.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:33 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,989,467 times
I still watch reruns of The Wire to this very day. I can't say that for many TV shows.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:17 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
I'm not a fan of any of these shows. If I had to choose one, I'd say the Sopranos was the best of the three.

I'm a big fan of the mob genre and still found the Sopranos to be mildly disappointing. It's often called the "Greatest Show of All Time" but I didn't find the story and character arcs to be very interesting. I could see how the fan following grew to be as large as it did, though, because Gandolfini gives a charismatic performance as Tony. There are also moments in the show that are pretty funny (i.e, the Pine Barrens episode). I really had to work my way into this show, but once I literally forced myself to watch the entire first season, the characters started to grow on me. I still found it a bit too "soap opera-ish" for my taste, however.

The Wire simply isn't my cup of tea. I don't need a TV show to see the inner workings of America's inner cities and school districts since I was raised in one of America's most violent cities. There was nothing special about the acting, imo.

Game of Thrones is a difficult show to follow. As someone who's already biased against the fantasy genre, I need a show to pick up and get going very quickly. GOT simply doesn't do that. There are a lot of characters to keep track of and there's a lot of exposition. Comes off as dry to me.

A lot of people didn't like Boardwalk Empire but that was probably my favorite HBO show.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The Wire is a masterpiece of writing whereas Game of Thrones ... is not. It's fun to watch and very good for the genre, but dialogue is very uninspired.
What are some examples of great dialogue from the Wire?

Most wire fans I know tend to fall in one of three categories.

Category 1: "The Wire is the greatest show ever because it's a layered, deconstructionist critique of the post-industrial Black ghetto that sheds light on the multi-dimensional, anti-symmetrical gradations of the American capitalist framework and in its systemic repercussions across a broader range of elements in civil society."

Category 2: "Marlo is gangsta!"

Category 3: "It's really sad. Somebody should do something about Baltimore."

Those are the fans I usually encounter.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:39 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,657,321 times
It's subjective. I love the Sopranos, like GOT and never could get into the Wire. Rating one show over another is just an opinion. Anyone claiming they definitively know which is better is a little too self absorbed.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:57 PM

The Wire could be slow too. But it had some great scenes. No dragons, white walkers, and sorcery nonsense. Marlo is a guy you might **** off by accidentally hitting his car door at the gas station.

"The point of the co-op is we stand together. No one f**** with us."

"Nobody f**** with me now."

"Well, that doesn't mean there couldn't be some unforeseen circumstance..."

"NO ONE F**** WITH ME NOW."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4BPceUm0Es
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV