Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 12:58 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times

Advertisements

A bit more cold blooded than the Sopranos murders, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kKcRQNCc8s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 03:34 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,478 times
For me Game of thrones, great Northern British accents and escapism, not that whiney Bostonian accent, or Noo York Italian durge. Kidding, of course.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:01 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,128 times
Arli$$ shall always reign supreme.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:17 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times
Even today, I'd still say the Wire. GOT is really good, as is the Sopranos...but the Wire will always hold a special place in my heart. It's a highly contextual show and if you can't understand and process the lingo, you'll be in the dark. There's no single protagonist and I think many BB/Sopranos fans prefer that style of storytelling. McNulty is the comes the closest to being a protagonist but even he is just one piece of a great ensemble.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:33 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,987,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Many people and TV critics seem to love Game of Thrones. It has now become to most watched HBO series ever. Do you personally think that "Game of Thrones" is the greatest HBO television series of all-time? Do you think it has finally surpassed the HBO greats like "The Sopranos" and "The Wire" which have long been accepted by many as being HBO's greatest TV shows?
I don't even watch it and I would say yes because it seems to be EVERYWHERE!

I can't even go to Yahoo without seeing about 10 stories on the side about this show.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:27 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Even today, I'd still say the Wire. GOT is really good, as is the Sopranos...but the Wire will always hold a special place in my heart. It's a highly contextual show and if you can't understand and process the lingo, you'll be in the dark. There's no single protagonist and I think many BB/Sopranos fans prefer that style of storytelling. McNulty is the comes the closest to being a protagonist but even he is just one piece of a great ensemble.
I agree with you. The Wire, along with Breaking Bad, is the only series I can remember which got better every season and never plateaued/jumped the shark.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:19 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
I have to disagree. While the entire series was quite good, none of the subsequent seasons of The Wire came close to matching the excellent of Season 1.

The only series I can think of that "never plateaued" was Sleeper Cell.

Old 04-11-2022, 07:45 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Reopening this thread—
The Wire
Hands down better than Sopranos or GoT because it had a message that people just didn’t want to listen to
The Wire showed all the ways drugs corrupt/destroy American life and how factors like the death of unions killed the middle class
Families, government, education, the press were all main tropes in seasons and showed that there was little redemption to be had
The former stupid cop who became a very good math teacher to make a difference
The police commander who created a safe haven for drug use which was the only effective method of making life better in his borough
The union chief who became complicit in drugs and trafficking trying to keep his union alive and grease the palms of enough dirty politicians to improve his harbor—when they only cared about taking OUT, not putting IN

So many smart people whose only avenue out was drugs
And the man with an honor code was Omar… go figure

Old 04-11-2022, 09:30 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
I noever did watch the Wire but have read so many good things about it for so many years that I really have to get around to it.

I love Game of Thrones, but I waas also a huge fan of Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series of books so it's not a fair comparison. It's a great show.

From an original writing perspective, no show has come close to Breaking Bad, at least not that I have seen. There was literally only one bad episode in the entire series (The Fly). I have watched the Sopranos all the way through and it was solid, but I have not yet seen the Wire.

Old 04-12-2022, 05:52 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I noever did watch the Wire but have read so many good things about it for so many years that I really have to get around to it.
THE WIRE is great, but it is a hard show to watch. Not one that will ever brighten your day.

Quote:
I love Game of Thrones, but I waas also a huge fan of Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series of books so it's not a fair comparison. It's a great show.
I enjoyed the first three books quite a lot. After that, it seemed to me like Martin was starting to lose focus a bit. The "tree" of his story was becoming more of a "tangled shrub." I thought the first 3-4 seasons of the TV show were outstanding. After that ... the show definitely fell off the tracks. The last season was downright bad. Fantastic spectacle? Yeah. It looked great. But the story was nonsense.

Quote:
From an original writing perspective, no show has come close to Breaking Bad, at least not that I have seen. There was literally only one bad episode in the entire series (The Fly). I have watched the Sopranos all the way through and it was solid, but I have not yet seen the Wire.
I liked "The Fly." Certainly not my favorite episode, but it wasn't bad. Having seen Breaking Bad all the way through several times, I have to admit: I think Better Call Saul may be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV