Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 01:02 PM

45,032 posts, read 60,050,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It looks like it will be a combination of dragon glass, Valyrian steel, and dragon fire. Having not read the books, I'm unclear how the first Targaryan came into power. From what I gather, he came with his dragons and killed the sitting king and many of the lords, but did he also save the people from the White Walkers? As far as I know, it hasn't been mentioned in the show at least.
No the first Targaryen had nothing to do with The Others (what the TV show's White Walkers are called in the books).

What he did was overthrow the kings on Westeros, there were 7 of them, either by conquest or making them an offer they couldn't refuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 01:17 PM

30,510 posts, read 17,977,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
Is it just me or did the last episode seem like it was 2 hours? And like 2 hours in a good way. They really packed a lot of stuff in one episode! I enjoyed it. I'm ready for action!!!
I agree. It was really well done. Can't wait for the next episode!

Old 06-02-2015, 03:30 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,086,916 times
It was an awesome episode, but from what I recall from the books I'm not sure what the significance of Danny meeting Tyrion will be. Don't get me wrong, I loved their discussion in the last episode, but I can't wait to see how the show does with the upcoming big departure from the books.

Spoiler
In the books, Danny flies off from the fighting pits on Drogon. Does this mean, she'll only have Tyrion's advice for a little while?

Old 06-02-2015, 04:02 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,189,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It looks like it will be a combination of dragon glass, Valyrian steel, and dragon fire. Having not read the books, I'm unclear how the first Targaryan came into power. From what I gather, he came with his dragons and killed the sitting king and many of the lords, but did he also save the people from the White Walkers? As far as I know, it hasn't been mentioned in the show at least.
Just to give you a little timeline... this is history, so not really current show spoilers...

The last time the White Walkers appeared was around 8,000 years ago. It took the combined people of Westeros to defeat them. Sometime after that, Brandon the Builder (an early Stark King) built the Wall, with help from many others (giants, magic, etc). The Wall was to keep the White Walkers from coming back. Over time, the purpose of the wall was bastardized into dividing Westeros into two--free folk (wildlings) and the people south of the wall.

Since it's been 8,000 years, the stories about White Walkers are just that... stories, myths, the stuff of legends.

Targaryens: They conquered Westeros about 300 years ago. So they are a very recent event, when put in time perspective.

At one time, there were several great families living on Valyria. Maybe 10-12 families. They all had dragons, and between them, ruled all of Essos from their island of Valyria. They mostly left Westeros alone. About five hundred years ago, one minor family, the Targaryens, got pissed at the other Valyrians (not sure why), and picked up their dragons and moved to Dragonstone, a mostly vacant island at that time. Dragonstone was far closer to Westeros than Valyria was, and the Targaryens tried to have a peaceful relationship with the seven ruling families. There was no King over Westeros, it was the seven ruling families/kingdoms.

Maybe a hundred years after they left Valyria, the Doom struck Valyria. Killed every person, and their dragons. The only Valyrians left were the Targaryens (and their dragons), by the blind luck of their having moved off Valyria a hundred or so years before.

The relationship between Westeros and the Targaryens was becoming more strained as time went by, and a couple of the Kings even tried to pull some BS, such as committing to being a peaceful partner, then betraying them. Finally Aegon Targaryen had enough, and declared war. With his two sisters, and on their three dragons, some of the largest dragons ever seen, they attacked and conquered Westeros. Thus we had Aegon the Conqueror, and the first of the Targaryen Kings. That dynasty lasted about 300 years, until the Mad King (Danaerys' father) and Robert's Revolt.

This is a very simplified history, and I may have rounded some years up or down to the closest hundred. But you get the idea...

Old 06-02-2015, 04:15 PM

21,397 posts, read 10,467,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Just to give you a little timeline... this is history, so not really current show spoilers...

The last time the White Walkers appeared was around 8,000 years ago. It took the combined people of Westeros to defeat them. Sometime after that, Brandon the Builder (an early Stark King) built the Wall, with help from many others (giants, magic, etc). The Wall was to keep the White Walkers from coming back. Over time, the purpose of the wall was bastardized into dividing Westeros into two--free folk (wildlings) and the people south of the wall.

Since it's been 8,000 years, the stories about White Walkers are just that... stories, myths, the stuff of legends.

Targaryens: They conquered Westeros about 300 years ago. So they are a very recent event, when put in time perspective.

At one time, there were several great families living on Valyria. Maybe 10-12 families. They all had dragons, and between them, ruled all of Essos from their island of Valyria. They mostly left Westeros alone. About five hundred years ago, one minor family, the Targaryens, got pissed at the other Valyrians (not sure why), and picked up their dragons and moved to Dragonstone, a mostly vacant island at that time. Dragonstone was far closer to Westeros than Valyria was, and the Targaryens tried to have a peaceful relationship with the seven ruling families. There was no King over Westeros, it was the seven ruling families/kingdoms.

Maybe a hundred years after they left Valyria, the Doom struck Valyria. Killed every person, and their dragons. The only Valyrians left were the Targaryens (and their dragons), by the blind luck of their having moved off Valyria a hundred or so years before.

The relationship between Westeros and the Targaryens was becoming more strained as time went by, and a couple of the Kings even tried to pull some BS, such as committing to being a peaceful partner, then betraying them. Finally Aegon Targaryen had enough, and declared war. With his two sisters, and on their three dragons, some of the largest dragons ever seen, they attacked and conquered Westeros. Thus we had Aegon the Conqueror, and the first of the Targaryen Kings. That dynasty lasted about 300 years, until the Mad King (Danaerys' father) and Robert's Revolt.

This is a very simplified history, and I may have rounded some years up or down to the closest hundred. But you get the idea...

Thank you!! A simplified history works well enough. One day I will read the books, but I just started watching GoT about 9 months ago and now just want to wait until the series ends before tackling the books. I don't want to be in a position of disliking changes made in the adaptation.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:40 PM

212 posts, read 416,180 times
Is Gendry still rowing or did I blink and he died somewhere somehow?

Old 06-02-2015, 06:11 PM

4,714 posts, read 5,928,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortisha View Post
Is Gendry still rowing or did I blink and he died somewhere somehow?
He was the hooded figure rowing Jon Snow's boat at the end of the episode.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:41 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,086,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

It's actually pretty good, but wasn't there a woman in the Targaryen family who had a vision predicting some sort of disaster. She convinced the family to leave Valyria.

Yup, A Wiki of Ice & Fire is quite handy sometimes :P

"Another trait typical to Targaryens, and one that was passed on to the cadet branch, House Blackfyre, was the ability to have premonition-like dreams.[9] Before the Doom, a noble in Valyria called Aenar Targaryen had a maiden daughter whose visions moved him to relocate his family to Dragonstone, twelve years before the Doom. Her visions were written down and published in a book called Signs and Portents, which is now lost."

House Targaryen - A Wiki of Ice and Fire - A Song of Ice and Fire & Game of Thrones

Old 06-03-2015, 12:10 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,979,246 times
Thank God Tyrion got a chance to speak his mind this week!

Wth...white walkers can't swim?

Old 06-03-2015, 01:25 PM

703 posts, read 2,935,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Thank God Tyrion got a chance to speak his mind this week!

Wth...white walkers can't swim?

Yeah, if the walkers can't swim then I guess the safest place to be is across the Narrow Sea in Essos (in the desert land).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV