U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 02:31 PM

8,905 posts, read 9,056,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Could not really get into Sherlock. Just a little too weird for me. However I am liking Investigator Morse in the Endeavour series. I wonder if Season One is available for streaming?

I just did a Roku search and only Season Two seems to be available.
They had season One on Netflix until Season Two began, They took it off so they could do reruns on PBS.

There is a pilot episode that stands all by itself before Season One began. They did a nice tribute when John Thaw's daughter plays a small part. She looks at Endeavor Morse and says, "Do I know you?". He says no, and she says "Must have been in another life" .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 04:20 PM

2,431 posts, read 4,340,826 times
There was a nod to Mad Men a few episodes ago -- they borrowed a major plot point from it. It's the one involving a beauty contest judge. In an office (can't remember if it's the police or another), a secretary comes in and says 2x "SCDP from the East Coast is on the line for you". I had to say the names to make sure it matched up… Sterling, Cooper, Draper, Price". Yup. And then once the twist was revealed at the end, I KNEW it wasn't just a coincidence! The writers of Endeavour must be fans of Mad Men. Interesting also, that's it's the exact same era - 1966.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
There was a nod to Mad Men a few episodes ago

Interesting also, that's it's the exact same era - 1966.
In the 2012 episode the red Jaguar Mark 2 car with the registration 248 RPA is shown prominently at a car showroom, attracting interest from Morse; this is the car Morse drove in the original series.

Colin Dexter always swore that when John Thaw died that he would never allow another actor to play the character of Morse. It may have been the success of Mad Man, that changed his mind and he gave the permission to cast a new Morse set in the 1960's. If so, it was a fine way to pay tribute.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:20 PM

17,756 posts, read 11,283,730 times
Just saw "Nocturne" last night and once again very well done Endeavor. Finally also saw "Morse's" new love interest and the sparks that flew could have set off a fire. *LOL*

Warning Spoilers! If you haven't seen the latest season, are recording episodes to watch sometime before your dotage or whatever please go elsewhere.

Am wondering how common it would have been for a "black" nurse to be in Oxford much less working in hospital during this post war time period. Know from other shows such as "Call The Midwife" that yes, there were blacks in London at that time but most were either from the Islands or had immigrated after the war.

Monica (played by Shvorne Marks) lives not only across the hall from Morse, but seems to go about town without anyone wondering or even bothering.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:48 PM

6,458 posts, read 2,197,372 times
Default Fitting, but so sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I"m enjoying Endeavor. I did enjoy Inspector Morse and I love Sherlock as well.....

BTW - I believe they killed off Inspector Morse about the same time as he (John Thaw) actually died. I think it was fitting.
Yes, the actor died shortly after his character died of a heart attack, but another poster got it right that John Thaw died of cancer and not a heart attack. I think at the time John Thaw shot those final scenes for the show, he knew he was already ill. I've always enjoyed watching him as Inspector Morse, a curmudgeon, yes but he always had that twinkle in his eyes and a soft, kinder side he sometimes showed. Instead of that final scene of him dead on the slab, I would of rather seen him just walk off or rode his fancy car as the sun was setting, just like the cowboys used to do, except on horseback - yeah, ride off into the sunset.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:51 PM

6,458 posts, read 2,197,372 times
Default Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
john thaw died of cancer- i think esophageal- in 2000 or 2001.

catsy girl
Thanks Catsygirl (one cat to another LOL!)! You are right - John Thaw had become ill with cancer as they were winding down the series. I wonder if they decided to finish the series because he was ill.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:35 PM

17,756 posts, read 11,283,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Yes, the actor died shortly after his character died of a heart attack, but another poster got it right that John Thaw died of cancer and not a heart attack. I think at the time John Thaw shot those final scenes for the show, he knew he was already ill. I've always enjoyed watching him as Inspector Morse, a curmudgeon, yes but he always had that twinkle in his eyes and a soft, kinder side he sometimes showed. Instead of that final scene of him dead on the slab, I would of rather seen him just walk off or rode his fancy car as the sun was setting, just like the cowboys used to do, except on horseback - yeah, ride off into the sunset.
"Lewis, don't fuss".

Think Morse going as he did in the way he did was fitting. The man for various reasons was a loner and also dedicated to his work. Such men either on purpose or not tend to either ignore their health or play down problems. Having already been in hospital for is ticker Morse knew his body had limits but that didn't stop him. Lewis like the surrogate son Morse never had there at the end to observe/ID the body and then leaving the body "alone" is IMHO a reflection of how Morse lived his life.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Thanks Catsygirl (one cat to another LOL!)! You are right - John Thaw had become ill with cancer as they were winding down the series. I wonder if they decided to finish the series because he was ill.
Possibly, but most actors like to work as long as they can. John Thaw did one final episode of James Kavanagh QC after Morse ended. That show did not end with Kavanagh dying, like Morse.

But the he did a 6 part miniseries The Glass and a few months later a 2 hour TV movie, Buried Treasure, which aired only weeks before he died.

The British series seem to run for so long, that they have to have a very complete final story. David Suchet played Poirot for 25 years before ending the series only 8 months ago.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:06 AM

2,431 posts, read 4,340,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Am wondering how common it would have been for a "black" nurse to be in Oxford much less working in hospital during this post war time period. Know from other shows such as "Call The Midwife" that yes, there were blacks in London at that time but most were either from the Islands or had immigrated after the war.

Monica (played by Shvorne Marks) lives not only across the hall from Morse, but seems to go about town without anyone wondering or even bothering.
Well, it' 20+ years post-war -- 1966. The swinging 60s (although it does seem like it's more like the 1950s). Don't know what the race-relations were like in London, vs. those in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
"Lewis, don't fuss".

Think Morse going as he did in the way he did was fitting. The man for various reasons was a loner and also dedicated to his work. Such men either on purpose or not tend to either ignore their health or play down problems. Having already been in hospital for is ticker Morse knew his body had limits but that didn't stop him. Lewis like the surrogate son Morse never had there at the end to observe/ID the body and then leaving the body "alone" is IMHO a reflection of how Morse lived his life.
I was completely picturing a different death-scene that I *thought* I had seen before, years ago, and was expecting this: Morse at home alone, sitting in a big wing chair doing his crosswords, drink in hand, listening to opera. You see him "fall asleep" and the drink falls out of his hand. The camera pans backward and out of the house. The end. Maybe this was the end to an episode, but he didn't die? It's bugging me, but I'm sure I saw it.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:27 AM

5,070 posts, read 5,973,656 times
I saw that too. Wasn't that when he was taken to the hospital?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV