U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 11:32 AM

2,431 posts, read 4,264,981 times

Advertisements

I don't know -- I'm getting mixed up! I know he collapsed at the university, outside, but can't remember if that was the first time he went to the hospital, or the last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 04:10 PM

16,574 posts, read 10,604,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Well, it' 20+ years post-war -- 1966. The swinging 60s (although it does seem like it's more like the 1950s). Don't know what the race-relations were like in London, vs. those in the US.

I was completely picturing a different death-scene that I *thought* I had seen before, years ago, and was expecting this: Morse at home alone, sitting in a big wing chair doing his crosswords, drink in hand, listening to opera. You see him "fall asleep" and the drink falls out of his hand. The camera pans backward and out of the house. The end. Maybe this was the end to an episode, but he didn't die? It's bugging me, but I'm sure I saw it.
Was referring to the end of the episode where Lewis is at the hospital's morgue or some such place with what was Morse's body on a stretcher covered by a sheet.

IIRC Morse's last show was tied into a series of murders committed by the daughter of a local prominent family. The mother was a nurse who had cared for (and flirted with Morse) when he was in hospital last for his heart. In fact the mother and daughter were fooling around with the same man (a local contractor who apparently was "Jack the Lad" in the area. When Morse begins to suspect that the nurse had an affair with the man Lewis quips "a well respected nurse having kinky rumpy-pumpy...."

Any who Morse deduces who the murderer was and IIRC either from home or the hospital sends Lewis after her. The woman when arrested begins to explain her motives but then tells Lewis "I want to speak to Morse, he'll understand...". Lewis almost yells out "Morse is dead", as the woman is taken away.

Thing one likes about Endeavor is one begins to see how he became the sort of detective he was. It sometimes seems like Endeavor is well slightly "thick" but his mind's wheels are clearly turning. Little details that mean nothing to his boss stick in the man's mind and end up solving the case.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:06 PM

4,960 posts, read 5,811,823 times
Agree, a codebreaker would investigate differently than another. Did anyone catch the reason for Endeavor NOT to return to the university or why he was kicked out?

Old 07-13-2014, 05:13 PM

10 posts, read 9,922 times
I really have been enjoying Endeavor, too. I didn't watch it at first because I loved the John Thaw series and thought it wouldn't be as good but it's very entertaining and the acting is superb. Also loved watching Foyle's War, which is similar in that it's a detective show from a different time period.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Agree, a codebreaker would investigate differently than another. Did anyone catch the reason for Endeavor NOT to return to the university or why he was kicked out?
Read this somewhere else but IIRC young Morse got his heart broken while at university which caused him all sorts of emotional pain. As such he began to slack off and as grades fell his scholarship was withdrawn, thus unable to afford tuition, he left.

You see references to this in an earlier episode of Endeavor when they are investigating a murder at some factory and Morse runs into a girl he knocked about with at college. She is now working at the plant as a secretary and tries her level best to restart things with Endeavor. They go on a date and she wears her hair in what we are given to believe the former GF did; Endeavor asks her "why did you wear your hair like that?", and the young woman apologizes saying something about "it still reminds you of her", which is rubbish because that is what she wanted all along.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I don't know -- I'm getting mixed up! I know he collapsed at the university, outside, but can't remember if that was the first time he went to the hospital, or the last.
*Spoiler*

Morse's final episode:

"After a year of baffled failure, the Thames Valley Police Force's investigation into the murder of Yvonne Harrison in a quiet Cotswold village is sparked into life by an anonymous letter which gives new information. Morse, who has been off sick, is under doctor's orders to cut back on his drinking or face the consequences, but few people realize just how bad the state of his health is when he comes back to active service. Morse ignores his doctor's orders, and he soon collapses and finds himself in hospital, near death - and still agonizing over his last case. Morse's final order to Lewis is to send him away from his bed-side to follow the final clue which will crack the case. It seems odd for Strange, Morse's old antagonist, to be with him when he dies, and not Lewis - but Strange rises to the occasion"

Remember now:

Morse has an attack at Oxford (where it all began for him in some respects) and is rushed to hospital. CL Strange (strange by nature and strange by name), is at Morse's bedside when Lewis arrives. Morse tells Lewis he has solved the case and sends him off to arrest the suspect as she is going to flee the country. CL Strange tells Lewis to get on his bike and that he will remain with Morse. Cannot remember how Lewis gets the news but he knows Morse is dead by the time he arrests the suspect hence my comment above when he says "Morse is dead" to the suspect when she requests to see him and explain.

We next see Lewis standing in hospital next to Morse's sheet draped body saying his "goodbyes". Morse IIRC left a will leaving everything to Lewis and also IIRC (again) forbade a funeral or at least elaborate services.

Inspector morse - the remorseful day - Morse collapses - YouTube

Old 07-13-2014, 09:03 PM
LML

7,109 posts, read 7,799,128 times
I loved Inspector Morse (and had a bit of a crush on John Thaw." And I am loving Endeavor too. I hope it goes on and on. There is so little I enjoy watching on TV and use my Netflix account totally for watching British mysteries.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:45 AM

Many ITV, BBC/PBS "Mystery" programs are based upon a novel or series of by British authors. Thus like Spanish telenovellas they do have a natural end at some point. If the thing is really good sometimes the author can be persuaded to extend things by writing additional "books" that aren't part of the original series of novels. This is how it was with Inspector Morse with the television series actually running twenty more episodes than the collection of novels. In the end the author finally said "enough" and that it was time for his character to go on.
Art mirrors life, as Inspector Morse is finally defeated by drinking and diabetes - News - The Independent

Agatha Christie wrote many "Miss Marple" books but IIRC not all were turned into television series which left room. Also it does seem they are done every generation or so with a fresh "Miss. Jane Marple" and cast/production giving things a different take. The latest incarnation is streets different than the films of the 1930's.

Call the Midwife actually ended with the first season because that is how the book ended. However the series proved so popular both in Europe and elsewhere that an additional series was created by simply "making it up" as it were. That is writers took the characters and created new adventures and so forth.

Getting back to Morse, am rather glad that the series ended but they brought out Endeavour instead of say simply slotting another actor in to play Inspector Morse. For one thing it gives us a chance to understand the back story behind Morse. Why he never marries, how he came to tick so many higher off persons off that he never advances to offices suited to his talents. More importantly we come to understand the various demons and twists that came to make up IM's personality. His love of opera, the car, his brilliant intellect, and so forth.

In Endeavor we see an almost autistic like behavior developing in Morse that he seems either unable to read feelings when he is ticking someone off. Or perhaps he just doesn't care. Whatever once that mind of his gets hold of a scent he won't leave it alone, even when strong hints if not orders are dropped to leave it.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:22 AM

3,068 posts, read 2,925,698 times
I'm looking forward to seeing the new 12 part detective series "Fortitude" based in the artic circle, starring among others, Michael Gambon, Stanley Tucci and Christopher Eccleston.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:24 PM

2,431 posts, read 4,264,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Morse's final episode...
Thanks!! That clears that up. Don't know WHAT I was remembering before, with a scene at his home. Maybe a different series?

And as for continuing/not continuing Inspector Morse after his death, I guess Inspector Lewis is considered a spinoff? Some of the same characters/same setting.

I really like last night's episode of Endeavour (the serial strangler who used certain stockings). LOTS of red herrings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV