Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 09:49 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I have to say I was really disappointed in Kini's. The fit on the models just wasn't right at all!! He makes beautiful clothes, but it didn't come through.
I liked him all season but the lack of color made his finale collection, drab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 11:38 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,871 times
I was disappointed with Kini's collection as well. I think he needs some direction - great at tailoring, and can have inspiration, but needs someone else there to help him find the inspiration. On his own, he went into this black and white drab fest. I think he needs to find a partner, one who can do the design work, while Kini can do the construction and come up with design elements that the partner wouldn't have thought of.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:15 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
I'm glad to see some similar thoughts about Kini. Last night while watching I was thinking - every time the challenge sort of directed what had to be made - either by giving them the fabric or the rain challenge he did well. But when it was more general - he went to that ugly drab denim and made frumpy stuff. I think he can sew sew sew the pants off anyone. And he had occasional little flashes of creativity. But the bulk of it just didn't impress that much. Thank the lord that Tim talked to him and he took it to heart. The results were SO much better, his collection would have been more embarrassing that what he thought of Charkita's.

I like Sean's eye but that was too much fringe. Looked like a lot of that dress he did for Heidi.

Can't stand Amanda's season of modern version of Amish color blocking quilt moo moo's. The couple of pieces for the runway show where she was clearly trying to do something different I liked much better.

I think Char did well given that she was from Detroit (so many of the others spend time in NYC or SF), taught to sew by her grandmother. Most everyone seemed to have a lot more fashion experience than her and she was challenged by her sewing skills. I'm sure she learned a lot and I loved her attitude. (Its not a tailoring/sewing show though I loved the Great British Sewing Bee). I was so glad her show looked better than I (and apparently a lot of us) expected. I was really rooting for her.

Overall I think this show was fairly down in the talent dept (and that includes that sour puss who thought she was so much better than everyone else and life was just so unfair, could not stand her or her clothes).
And I can't wonder what would have happened if the judges had made some different decisions early on. You know, the ones where everyone is going HUH? This has got to be some sort of Executive Producer show type decision not a talent decision? Like Amanda winning that challenge with the string with washers dress over the team that had the shiny blue and silver CD dress? WTF. Might have been a far more interesting show.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:36 PM

672 posts, read 789,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Overall I think this show was fairly down in the talent dept (and that includes that sour puss who thought she was so much better than everyone else and life was just so unfair, could not stand her or her clothes).
And I can't wonder what would have happened if the judges had made some different decisions early on. You know, the ones where everyone is going HUH? This has got to be some sort of Executive Producer show type decision not a talent decision? Like Amanda winning that challege with the string with washers dress over the team that had the shiny blue and silver CD dress? WTF. Might have been a far more interesting show.
Most, or at least many, designers who have experience can't risk leaving their current positions or taking time away from their current clients to participate on the show. Dmitry was a full time director at Jones, and had to leave the position, which is a huge risk to leave a very good position. When Tim went to visit him before the finale, he basically told Tim that he was broke. So, I think that a lot of talented designers don't try out.

I do wonder about some of the folks who were eliminated early every season. If maybe they were let go too early. Look how much Char grew, I wonder who else could have come that far. There is a lot of producer interference, I do agree. Or shenanigans, if you prefer. Gretchen had to be a producer induced shenanigan.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:07 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,811,786 times
I'm not surprised that Sean won. His collection had an interesting storyline and, in spite of all the fringe, his pieces were polished and had a wow factor that is something one looks for at a runway show. That last long orange gown with the fringe tassle swinging against the model's bare back was a show-stopper.

I was rooting for Kini all season, but it was not to be. His craftsmanship is superb. There's no doubt there. He could have, in my opinion, made use of the fact that he can whip together a garment in no time and spent more time exploring his creativity and putting together the actual designs.

I wasn't crazy about Amanda's collection, but her jewelry designs were great!

Old 10-24-2014, 06:23 PM

Oh and I won't be watching miss sour puss attach Charkita at the reunion show. Worst poor loser ever.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:15 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Oh and I won't be watching miss sour puss attach Charkita at the reunion show. Worst poor loser ever.
Agreed! Seriously, I cannot believe she can actually tell Char that, it is not about her, its about her designs. When Char tells her she was hurt by her calling her a bad designer. Aren't her designs an extension of her?

Hopefully the above makes sense.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:14 AM

Orange fringe has been done before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SOryJvTAGs

Old 10-26-2014, 08:28 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,076 times
I am definitely not watching the reunion show. I liked the fact that the final four were all professional, likable people. I won't let Korrina ruin that for me.

By the way - do you think Amanda is pregnant?

Old 10-27-2014, 02:06 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times
I am just thankful that Amanda didn't win. She has always bugged me for some reason, and I find her clothes just...ughh.. I don't like baggy/shapeless clothes... and that's what most of hers look like to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV