Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 11:32 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I reckon certain age sets like me that don't know how to hook up a vcr, dvd or dvr when the dang TVs are hanging up on a wall. Nobody around here seems to know either and calling a local electronic store they want $400 to run "all the wires, equipment & labor". No way live TV for me then.
Aw. I would do it for you for a beer.
It i really simple.

If you already have cable, the company can send a tech out to do it for you.

My dad is 74 and has hooked it all up himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 07:10 AM

7,343 posts, read 5,459,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
I will dvr everything to watch later as I hate watching commercials. A dvr is the best invention of all time, imo
Agree! I was on vacation for 2 weeks, so I DVR'ed everything I watch and now I can watch my shows at my leisure. I also will DVR certain show that I know have too many commercials and then watch the show later.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:11 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,169,841 times
[quote=Jaxson;35684074]I reckon certain age sets like me that don't know how to hook up a vcr, dvd or dvr when the dang TVs are hanging up on a wall. Nobody around here seems to know either and calling a local electronic store they want $400 to run "all the wires, equipment & labor". No way live TV for me then. [/QUOTE
Nice thing is we do not need all the extra stuf hooked up when using on demand.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:14 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,151,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Aw. I would do it for you for a beer.
It i really simple.

If you already have cable, the company can send a tech out to do it for you.

My dad is 74 and has hooked it all up himself.
OK I just looked up a round trip ticket from Dallas to Indy $487 plus the beer let me think. Thank you but you're not any cheaper than the local store.

[quote=longnecker;35686404]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I reckon certain age sets like me that don't know how to hook up a vcr, dvd or dvr when the dang TVs are hanging up on a wall. Nobody around here seems to know either and calling a local electronic store they want $400 to run "all the wires, equipment & labor". No way live TV for me then. [/QUOTE
Nice thing is we do not need all the extra stuf hooked up when using on demand.
That would warrant paying a cable bill right? I do have Netflix so I can get caught up on old series that part is cool.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:50 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,204,998 times
First, I never watch a show live. If it's must see TV, I'll watch something else until I know I have enough buffer to avoid commercials.

I usually watch sit-coms first, then dramas. For the dramas, I'll watch my favorites, or the most buzz-worthy, first.

I try to keep up with my shows, and not fall more than a couple days behind. Not always possible. But much easier in the summer!

Old 07-17-2014, 12:33 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,446,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How do you decide which one you'll watch at the time it airs and which you'll watch later?
NOT JUST 2 FOR me... In my case Mondays have 3 of my fave shows - DWTS, Bones, and BH Housewives, I think.

I mostly flip through DWTS and Bones, but I am leaning more on DWTS. Most of the time I even forget to flip to Bones.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:56 PM

4,359 posts, read 6,513,350 times
I'm in the Record Both camp. I'll wait at least 15 min before starting one of them to allow for commercial FF.

Which one first? Typically it would be "Reality" based - and I use that term loosely, due to spoiler issues w/social media.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:14 PM

589 posts, read 1,344,452 times
I don't watch a lot of tv, I tend to follow only one or two shows per season. But now that it seems between cable and network television that it's a new season 4 or 5 times a year, invariably, the season finale of one of my shows airs the same time and day as the season premiere of another.

In which case, I watch the one my husband will watch with me, and stream the other on demand the next night.

My cable company would give me the dvr, but I keep refusing because I don't want to deal with the learning curve, and it's not worth it for the one or two hours per week of tv I do want to watch.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,376,800 times
Okay to answer the question that was actually asked, up until recently I didn't have the means to record a show so I had to really agonize over which I liked best and hope I could watch the other in reruns or order it sometime in the future on NetFlix.

Now that I can watch one and record another I usually go by the following criteria. If one show is in a series and the other is not, the series show will win out. That gets watched and the other will get recorded. If neither is in a series but one is longer than the other, I will record the longest and watch the shortest freeing me to watch another show sooner. If both are the same length and both are series, I will just watch the one I like a bit better and ditto it they are not in a series.

You can tell I have given this a lot of thought.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:35 PM

4,359 posts, read 6,513,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieM View Post

My cable company would give me the dvr, but I keep refusing because I don't want to deal with the learning curve, and it's not worth it for the one or two hours per week of tv I do want to watch.
Not much of a learning curve to operate a DVR. I bet someone at the cable company would be happy to walk you through it. The DVRs these days are built to be "user friendly".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV