Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:16 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
He had a very funny nervous laugh on that episode!
I noticed that too. A lot of people laugh when they're nervous. Channing was pretty strong and confident, but he was thrown into a lot of new scary situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 12:32 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Tame is determined by the previous experience. I love that these are novice out in the element people and they get nervous but take SO much joy in it too. I love the pride and the high when they do something which feels really scary and its no choice but thru.

Once a few friends and I went to Big Bear (in california) and decided to take the hike up to the top of the mountain. We had four adults and three children and somehow lost the tourist flat path, and the new one was narrow with ties and no signs. Then the ties vanished around one turn and there were these barely scraped flat places with the whole mountain beneath you and nothing to hold onto. The gravel was slippery and we hadn't really come prepared, but going down was a lot more scary. But I'd been there a lot of times as a kid but never stood near the top of the mountain looking down and told myself I can do it. We were all scared but down wasn't an option. Here's this rocky pathway you have to climb up with nothing to hang onto and rocks sliding. And you can see the mountain all the way down to the lakes. And I remember just thinking go ahead, don't look back.

It was SO exilerating to get to the top. We could see everything below, both the big and little lake and the creeks feeding it and just trees everywhere. I would have never intentionally taken the expert, climbing experience reccomended trail if we'd known but we crossed the riding one with the ties to the people who really know what they were doing trail. But I'm so glad we did. With the kids, you couldn't look scared so you didn't.

I haven't taken up mountain climbing but will never ever forget that day as a reminder that you are really in charge of yourself.
That climb up the mountain, which turned mostly into a climb over a walk up the path, is one of the highlights I think about when I decided that for sure no way can I do that.
I thought I was pretty clear in specifying "for a survival kind of show" when describing it as "tame". Other survival shows like; Survivorman, Man vs Wild or Dual Survival are less scripted, have the cast out for as long as 10 days (on a couple of Survivorman episodes) and give them less equipment.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:23 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
I thought I was pretty clear in specifying "for a survival kind of show" when describing it as "tame". Other survival shows like; Survivorman, Man vs Wild or Dual Survival are less scripted, have the cast out for as long as 10 days (on a couple of Survivorman episodes) and give them less equipment.
It strikes me as more about the personal growth and challenge to step out of your world over straight survival. He gives them challenges, but only the ones he things they can do. Then there is the part where you got up the mountain but you still have to get down, and so you just have to suck it up and climb. I'm not sure the people who go on this show would really choose to go on one of the others with the full on survival experience. This one is more specifically about the personal experience over the mechanics.

Nothing wrong with having both types around.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:23 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,994 times
I like how the interview/conversations seem much more personal and honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV