Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 07:34 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,399,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
LOL! SOA is awesome. I love it.
Okay okay okay! I'll have to check it out! Probably just go over to Netflix and start with season 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 05:32 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
Hmmmm. Yeah, I think him showing up at the police station is just probably because they wanted to question anybody associated with the victims. I still think he suspects Bridget was there or knows something based on next weeks previews...
Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't watched them. Yeah, wow. Next week looks action-packed!

Maybe not all of that happens next week. Maybe that's over three episodes.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Okay okay okay! I'll have to check it out! Probably just go over to Netflix and start with season 1.
You won't be sorry. !

Old 09-09-2014, 07:46 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
I loved Season 1. Now I'm happy the Marvin/Bridget thing is over, just wish Bridget had been killed too, don't care if Ray and Abby divorce or not, and don't mind at all when I stumble across spoilers before I see the latest episode.

Uh-oh, I think I'm getting over this show.
I hate it when that happens.

Mickey's still entertaining enough to keep me watching awhile longer but this series needs a compelling new plot line, stat.

on binge-watching SOA. The first 4 seasons are awesome, then for me it lost some steam but is still on my top 5 all-time best dramas list.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I loved Season 1. Now I'm happy the Marvin/Bridget thing is over, just wish Bridget had been killed too, don't care if Ray and Abby divorce or not, and don't mind at all when I stumble across spoilers before I see the latest episode.

Uh-oh, I think I'm getting over this show.
I hate it when that happens.

Mickey's still entertaining enough to keep me watching awhile longer but this series needs a compelling new plot line, stat.

on binge-watching SOA. The first 4 seasons are awesome, then for me it lost some steam but is still on my top 5 all-time best dramas list.
Well, let's see. Several posters have talked about not caring if Ray's wife and kids are on the show or not, but that's part of the many dynamics of who his character is. The fact that's he's out fixing everybody else's problems, but can't seem to keep his own family together, and be the husband and father he needs to be is a huge part of what is, the world of Ray Donovan. Without this dynamic, what is he? Some single guy living in his city apartment entertaining a revolving door of women? I mean, I guess. And I personally don't want or need Bridget to die or to have been shot too.

Part of what keeps me watching is continued hope for Ray's come to Jesus moment, of finally being a whole person; the family man, the better husband, and the man that faces the demons of his sexual abuse as a child. But maybe that won't happen until the last season of the show; after all, without his train wrecked-ness he'd be a bit of a bore.

As for it losing steam, I can't say I feel that. You've got Kate, who will persist in getting the truth for her story till the end. Will she find out what really happened? And if so, will it expose Ray and Mickey, or will Kate's life be at stake? Will her and Ray just continue their sexual relationship, or will it become a bona fide relationship? Will Abby find out? Either way, Ray's so emotionally unavailable, it won't matter, if it gets serious, Kate will eventually be just as frustrated as Abby is now.

How far will Cookie go to make sure Bridget keeps quiet, and doesn't put him in jeopardy of going to prison? If he finds out (or already knows) that she was in the back seat of that car and does kill her, then what?

As for Mickey, I enjoy his little friendship with his terminally ill across the hall neighbor. But when will he eventually die of cancer and leave the show? What about this marijuana shop they've been casing out to rob? Will they get caught, and it land Mickey back in jail? What about his friend? Would they put a dying man in prison?

I don't see the lost steam; I think we've got plenty to chew on for now. I do agree that the Marvin/Bridget story line, with Bridget in her rebellion, was getting a bit tiresome to me, but best believe I never thought it would end the way it did!! I also think the writers allowed Ray to find out too soon if Abby was cheating, and with whom. I mean now, to me, that storyline has lost my interest. We all know Abby won't LEAVE Ray for this guy, so now what?? Where can go from here?

The show will go down as one of my top 10; right up there with Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and Homeland. But, different strokes you know, everyone has different tastes. I don't see all the hoopla about True Detective, Sons of Anarchy, The Walking Dead, or Game of Thrones, but those shows have a cult following, so SOMEBODY'S watching! Anyway, until this Sunday...

Old 09-11-2014, 07:26 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,703 times
Abby annoys the hell out of me. Ugh.

Ray, his brothers, and Mickey are easily the best part of this show. Ray's immediate family....blah.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:08 PM

I liked the storyline with Marvin. I like how he could be with anyone but he loves 'the girl next door'. They were oh-so-cute singing that song together. I LOVE the song, btw!

Old 09-15-2014, 03:02 PM

Who saw the show last night??? Did you see the scene with Kate and Ray in the hotel when they were having sex? I thought she was about to be written off the show!!!! OMG, Ray scared me! I don't WHY she won't leave well enough alone; reputation or not, no story is worth dying over! And the police officer Abby's screwing? Really? He's gonna do what she asked about with Cookie? I just see that going ALL KINDS OF WRONG!!!

Old 09-16-2014, 03:20 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
I know this series is supposed to be dark, but this season is incredibly dark …

Old 09-17-2014, 09:00 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,703 times
Quote:
Well, let's see. Several posters have talked about not caring if Ray's wife and kids are on the show or not, but that's part of the many dynamics of who his character is. The fact that's he's out fixing everybody else's problems, but can't seem to keep his own family together, and be the husband and father he needs to be is a huge part of what is, the world of Ray Donovan. Without this dynamic, what is he? Some single guy living in his city apartment entertaining a revolving door of women? I mean, I guess. And I personally don't want or need Bridget to die or to have been shot too.

Part of what keeps me watching is continued hope for Ray's come to Jesus moment, of finally being a whole person; the family man, the better husband, and the man that faces the demons of his sexual abuse as a child. But maybe that won't happen until the last season of the show; after all, without his train wrecked-ness he'd be a bit of a bore.

As for it losing steam, I can't say I feel that. You've got Kate, who will persist in getting the truth for her story till the end. Will she find out what really happened? And if so, will it expose Ray and Mickey, or will Kate's life be at stake? Will her and Ray just continue their sexual relationship, or will it become a bona fide relationship? Will Abby find out? Either way, Ray's so emotionally unavailable, it won't matter, if it gets serious, Kate will eventually be just as frustrated as Abby is now.

How far will Cookie go to make sure Bridget keeps quiet, and doesn't put him in jeopardy of going to prison? If he finds out (or already knows) that she was in the back seat of that car and does kill her, then what?

As for Mickey, I enjoy his little friendship with his terminally ill across the hall neighbor. But when will he eventually die of cancer and leave the show? What about this marijuana shop they've been casing out to rob? Will they get caught, and it land Mickey back in jail? What about his friend? Would they put a dying man in prison?

I don't see the lost steam; I think we've got plenty to chew on for now. I do agree that the Marvin/Bridget story line, with Bridget in her rebellion, was getting a bit tiresome to me, but best believe I never thought it would end the way it did!! I also think the writers allowed Ray to find out too soon if Abby was cheating, and with whom. I mean now, to me, that storyline has lost my interest. We all know Abby won't LEAVE Ray for this guy, so now what?? Where can go from here?

The show will go down as one of my top 10; right up there with Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and Homeland. But, different strokes you know, everyone has different tastes. I don't see all the hoopla about True Detective, Sons of Anarchy, The Walking Dead, or Game of Thrones, but those shows have a cult following, so SOMEBODY'S watching! Anyway, until this Sunday...
Wow, hech of a post!

I do agree that Ray is getting closer and closer to just letting go. He holds so much in, I honestly don't know how he doesn't have daily panic attacks. But the last few episodes it looks as if he's actually considering opening up for a few seconds...before he shuts it down. But him jumping into the ocean at the end of the last episode was a really neat moment.

This is a great friggin' show. Ray, Mick, Bunch, Terry...such good acting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV