Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:27 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,398,315 times

Advertisements

I usually tune in to some kind of morning show when I get up, and years ago it used to be The Today Show, but after that Anne Curry debacle I was turned off; not to mention Matt Lauer and his ego! Consequently, I started watching Good Morning America.

I always knew it wasn't CNN or Anderson Cooper 360, but thought it was a decent enough program to get headlines. Now it's spun off into something completely ridiculous. First off, I'm tired of the revolving door of journalists coming and going, a thousand people crammed at the news desk at one time, and the fake laughs and comradery between the cast. I can't STAND Lara Spencer, as I find her to be the most fake of them all; I just can't take her seriously. If George wasn't at the desk, the show would have no merit to me. In fact, it was rumored in an interview that he said he "didn't like the direction the show was taking." When questioned about that interview, he retracted what he said. I guess everybody needs to keep their a job.

Amy Robach used to be at the Today Show, and had gotten a permanent spot on the weekends, but then tried climbing the cut throat world of morning TV ladder by sleeping with Matt Lauer, (and she was allegedly one of many). That ended up backfiring on her, and she got canned; shortly after, she resurfaced on Good Morning America. Her and her type A personality, and need to ALWAYS have an opinion rubs me in a not so good way. It's also rumored that her and Lara don't get along, because she feels Lara shamelessly flirts with multiple men on set even though she, and in some cases the men, are married. But never mind, because Lara and her husband have been on the "verge" of divorce for some time according to reports.

Josh Elliot seemed like a nice addition, but his stay was short lived due to not being able to come to a contract agreement on salary. He was allegedly demanding in the neighborhood of 8 millions dollars or so, and ABC wouldn't agree to that amount; Josh felt it unfair, as Robin Roberts was signed to a 14 million dollar deal for this new year. Um, Josh, you were the new kid on the block, you can't dare measure what you should be making based on what Robin is making; it's apples and oranges. Josh was adopted as a child, and never knew his real parents. He's said to be demanding, needing constant validation, caused drama on set, and can't stay with one woman for more than a minute. He is divorced, and has 1 daughter from a previous marriage.

I LOVED Sam Champion, but he too, left this year to head up a new morning program at The Weather Channel. I knew immediately when that news broke, it was career suicide for him. I mean, The Weather Channel? Really? Now the ratings over there are on the down slope; I'm sure Sam has some regrets. His replacement, Ginger "Z" is gorgeous and delightful, and knows her stuff. I hope she stays a long time.

Robin Roberts seems professional, positive, and upbeat. I'm glad she beat cancer, as I know that was a hard battle for her, but honestly, not be insensitive in any way, but I'm kinda over them constantly revisiting that time in her life. It was something that happened to her, it's not who she is! An intern on set said she's kinda the glue of the team, and keeps everything together, but at times can be a bit of a diva herself. Child please, if I was making 14 million dollars a year, I'd probably fall into a diva dip now and again myself.

So now they have the concert series, social square, (WHAT??), pop news, clip of the day, tweets, youtube videos, and on and on. As far as I'm concerned, Good Morning America has become little more than an entertainment news magazine with a few REAL news headlines thrown in for good measure. Might as well be watching EXTRA. The producer, Bill Cunningham, claims they took this direction because this is more of what America wants to see. WHATEVER. My days of watching are numbered....

Last edited by No2Monsanto; 07-30-2014 at 09:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 08:49 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
If you don't like it, change the channel. Simple solution. Why are your days numbered? Do it today. It's certainly not worth the time and effort it took to write out this diatribe.

I happen to like it, so I'll continue to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
I can't STAND Lara Spencer, as I find her to be the most fake of them all. She's not even a formally educated journalist, but they often put her in Robin Roberts spot next to George Stephanopoulos when she's absent, and George is a hard core journalist.
She has a degree in Broadcast Journalism. She's worked local affiliates for all three major networks, and started with GMA as a national correspondent in 1999. How is she not a formally educated journalist?

Old 07-30-2014, 08:57 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,398,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
If you don't like it, change the channel. Simple solution. Why are your days numbered? Do it today. It's certainly not worth the time and effort it took to write out this diatribe.

I happen to like it, so I'll continue to watch.

She has a degree in Broadcast Journalism. She's worked local affiliates for all three major networks, and started with GMA as a national correspondent in 1999. How is she not a formally educated journalist?
Thanks, but I'm aware of my TV watching options. And obviously some years ago, I misread her biography, as I know she went college on an athletic scholarship; the broadcast journalism degree got pass me, so I stand corrected on that. Still doesn't change my perspective of her though.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:26 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
The OP has valid and realistic views of GMA and it's the same with the Today show. These shows (and they're not alone) are more about "me, me, me on TV!" and how funny can I be; how much can I be on stage, etc. Plus those irritating screaming crowds out in the streets! I gave up watching them as well.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:07 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
You insult dogs.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:58 AM

670 posts, read 1,172,114 times
I gave up on all of those stupid morning shows long ago.
Amy Robach is a moron.
I will never forget her incredibly stupid, insensitive interview with the daughter of the woman whose face was destroyed in that chimp attack. After saying that the victim was blinded in the attack, Robach asked her what she thought her mother's reaction would be once she had a mirror in front of her. The daughter's response: "She can't see".
Reporter ask how a BLIND woman would react to her REFLECTION - Video

Old 07-30-2014, 12:20 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I've been watching GMA since '78.
I find it to be a happy show.
I like happy in the morning.
Tho, the other shows are probably better news coverage, not sure.
Loved Sam and Spencer bef him.
Loved Josh, darnit.
Lara is a wacky fun person..one margarita and watch out!

Old 07-30-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I've been watching GMA since '78.
I find it to be a happy show.
I like happy in the morning.
Tho, the other shows are probably better news coverage, not sure.
Loved Sam and Spencer bef him.
Loved Josh, darnit.
Lara is a wacky fun person..one margarita and watch out!
I'm with you Miss Hepburn. I need happy in the morning. It's what gets me going. I tune in knowing that there's going to be a little bit of news, followed by some weather, human interest, entertainment, and yes, even some "fluff." It's not my primary news source, and I don't need it to be.

If I wanted somber, there are any number of other channels I could tune to. But in the morning, before I've had a chance to get some coffee, I need happy.

Now if only they'd kick Nancy Grace to the curb.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:38 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,248,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I'm with you Miss Hepburn. I need happy in the morning. It's what gets me going. I tune in knowing that there's going to be a little bit of news, followed by some weather, human interest, entertainment, and yes, even some "fluff." It's not my primary news source, and I don't need it to be.

If I wanted somber, there are any number of other channels I could tune to. But in the morning, before I've had a chance to get some coffee, I need happy.

Now if only they'd kick Nancy Grace to the curb.
I had to chime in with you all. I want a silly happy morning too. I have to "ease" into my days and GMA is light enough to give me that. I especially like when they have musical performances.

I do agree tho with the OP about Lara Spencer, something about her (just under the surface) seems rather (b)--witchy but I like Amy Robach and Ginger Zee, George seems like the dad to a bunch of wild unruly girls - LOL. Poor George in the midst of all that estrogen

Ugh and I loathe Nancy Grace, that woman and her voice make me want to throw a shoe through the TV.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
Ugh and I loathe Nancy Grace, that woman and her voice make me want to throw a shoe through the TV.
I'm glad it's not just me. I'm just praying that I'm watching the day that Dan finally snaps and goes apesh*t on that woman! He's far too tolerant of the way she treats him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV