Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 07:23 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

I've noticed a trend that I find very annoying. All the food challenge shows I watch lately do not allow enough time for the contestants to finish. I've noticed this on Master Chef, Grill Masters, and Food Fighters.
If they really want to fairly judge a persons ability, they should allow them to take a little more time to complete a dish, not a little less time.
You know they will probably spend a few hours, or a whole day, filming an episode, so the whole rush, rush thing is total BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 08:09 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
It's because these shows are about drama first and food a distant second.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:38 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It's because these shows are about drama first and food a distant second.
Exactly! And that's why I avoid them; just too stressful to watch. I prefer watching Barefoot Contessa or others like her that have a calmer show.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:57 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,024,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I've noticed a trend that I find very annoying. All the food challenge shows I watch lately do not allow enough time for the contestants to finish. I've noticed this on Master Chef, Grill Masters, and Food Fighters.
If they really want to fairly judge a persons ability, they should allow them to take a little more time to complete a dish, not a little less time.
You know they will probably spend a few hours, or a whole day, filming an episode, so the whole rush, rush thing is total BS.
I agree, and the other night when I watched "MasterChef" I finally realized that when they shout, "30 seconds, get something on the plate, anything!" that it is edited to seem like the contestants are struggling to get everything plated when in fact they probably had that done with several minutes to spare. When someone really didn't allow for enough time to get their dish plated, it is pretty obvious, and that doesn't happen with anywhere near the same frequency as the editing would suggest.

It would be nice for them to have one or two episodes a season where they allow enough time to think, gather ingredients, cook and plate. It doesn't have to be unlimited time of course, otherwise there would be some contestants who would take all day, but a normal amount of time for whatever type of food they are supposed to be preparing.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:59 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
And furthermore....Restaurant Impossible. I hate the scripted bawling out, and Robert cracking the whip over the designers, as if they didn't know their jobs. There is no reason why they need to rush so much. Paint does not dry instantaneously, and I bet the craftsmanship looks sloppy at close range. One day will not matter to a loser restaurant that's going down the tubes.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:07 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
And furthermore....Restaurant Impossible. I hate the scripted bawling out, and Robert cracking the whip over the designers, as if they didn't know their jobs. There is no reason why they need to rush so much. Paint does not dry instantaneously, and I bet the craftsmanship looks sloppy at close range. One day will not matter to a loser restaurant that's going down the tubes.
My guess is that is probably does take more than 1 day--I can't see how they'd get the materials, new tables/chairs, light fixtures, decorations etc, re-do the place and get all that stuff in there WITH new flooring. They probably make it look like it's one day. And I agree about the craftsmanship. I'm sure it's no where near perfect.

I like watching Chopped but that's another show that's edited to fit the time for each dish. Unless food cooks faster in that kitchen than any other kitchen lol

Old 07-31-2014, 12:26 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
My guess is that is probably does take more than 1 day--I can't see how they'd get the materials, new tables/chairs, light fixtures, decorations etc, re-do the place and get all that stuff in there WITH new flooring. They probably make it look like it's one day. And I agree about the craftsmanship. I'm sure it's no where near perfect.

I like watching Chopped but that's another show that's edited to fit the time for each dish. Unless food cooks faster in that kitchen than any other kitchen lol
They definitely have to pre-arrange things on RI. At a minimum they'd have to pre-arrange deliveries. I used to like RI but it got way too fake, if that's even possible for a reality show.

I still like Chopped because I'm interested in seeing what strange stuff they can come up with. Plus, I like the judges and it is fun trying to figure out what they are going to say based on their past behavior.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:36 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I still like Chopped because I'm interested in seeing what strange stuff they can come up with. Plus, I like the judges and it is fun trying to figure out what they are going to say based on their past behavior.

I agree! I sit there and say, "I never would have thought to come up with a dish like that!" And I'm terrible at guessing who the winner is after the dessert challenge lol...I can never get it right!

Old 07-31-2014, 12:48 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
They definitely have to pre-arrange things on RI. At a minimum they'd have to pre-arrange deliveries. I used to like RI but it got way too fake, if that's even possible for a reality show.
While it definitely has its scripted moments (what reality show doesnt, right?) everyone involved has said that Robert really is the task master he is portrayed as and is known to be hard on the designers (yet the all love him).

The "Pop up Video" - type episodes also give a lot of behind the scenes info that lets you know more of it is real than you think.

Dont get me wrong you can tell a lot of his screaming is scripted but a lot of the show is as it is portrayed.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:58 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,967 times
I've never seen someone who didn't have something on the plate, ready to go by the time 60 minutes or whatever was up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV