Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2014, 09:02 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times

Advertisements

In the original Star Trek, the true hero of the show was Spock. Many times his intellect saved the day. While the Captain often used emotional methods day in and day out, it was Spock's adherence to logical reasoning, that kept things going in the right direction.

There is no greater evidence of this lack of logic than in some of the arguments found here in CD in the various forums. I won't cite examples, but there are plenty to go around, if you look for them.

Spock was my hero of the day, and I still appreciate logical thinking wherever I find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 09:09 AM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
In the original Star Trek, the true hero of the show was Spock. Many times his intellect saved the day. While the Captain often used emotional methods day in and day out, it was Spock's adherence to logical reasoning, that kept things going in the right direction.

There is no greater evidence of this lack of logic than in some of the arguments found here in CD in the various forums. I won't cite examples, but there are plenty to go around, if you look for them.

Spock was my hero of the day, and I still appreciate logical thinking wherever I find it.
And yet, Spock could never beat Kirk at chess.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:45 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
There was that relationship between Kirk and McCoy and Spock which wasn't planned but happened and was noted in the fanbase as a huge strenght. Kirk's best friends are his half Vulcan First officer and his somewhat retro CMO. But he reflected both. To be a good captain, he had to employ the logic and clear thinking Spock stood for, and the sensitivity that McCoy did. He was a man more of the early Federation who had room to maneuver. Then came Picard, who is a fascinating man, but very very different. The Federation is not the same anymore and lone wolves like Kirk don't get big commands. The comparison to Kirk is Sisko, who was perfectly able to bend the rules and claim Bajoran law or Federation law if it got him what he wanted. But he'd been religated to a space station way out there they had no idea would become a pivitol place in their universe.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:48 AM

911 posts, read 262,215 times
Its amazing the original star trek came out when it did..... I mean its so good!! (I guess it makes sense why its so good coming from that time)

Old 04-08-2018, 05:55 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,385,284 times
One can still watch the original Star Trek series on the H&I (Heroes & Icons) channel.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:33 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
There was that relationship between Kirk and McCoy and Spock which wasn't planned but happened and was noted in the fanbase as a huge strenght. Kirk's best friends are his half Vulcan First officer and his somewhat retro CMO. But he reflected both. To be a good captain, he had to employ the logic and clear thinking Spock stood for, and the sensitivity that McCoy did. He was a man more of the early Federation who had room to maneuver.
EXACTLY. This was the heart of the original show and why it worked so well.

Kirk represented passion and courage and leadership. But he could also be brash and impulsive.

Spock tempered that with his logic and commitment to reason. But he could also be cold and lacking in compassion.

McCoy was the conscience of the group, motivated entirely by compassion. But his emotions could get the better of him.

Neither man was a whole, healthy human being in himself. But together they complimented each other's strengths and guarded each other's weaknesses. And despite all their grousing, they were loyal friends. And that's why there wasn't a dry eye in the theater when Spock died in STAR TREK II: The Wrath of Khan.

It's a heart that none of ST's many incarnations since have managed to recapture.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:58 PM

911 posts, read 262,215 times
I sure hope they all stayed friends afterwards!!! (They made an excellent team)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV