Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 06:57 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
LOL. Totally, not my point.
Then what was your point?

You asked a question to which I answered that there is no market thus no need to perfect that dialect compared to the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 08:49 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Did you continue watching?
I can't remember what this was...I think The Fall? If so, I didn't.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:00 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
No love for Damages? Fantastic show.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:05 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I recently watched Southcliffe. It's a bit dark, but if you like The Fall and Broadchurch it's probably up your alley.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:30 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
Durham County...detective drama out of Canada...dark but good...3 seasons worth of episodes...worth a look...

Old 08-23-2014, 02:15 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,367,597 times
Well, I have made a list. Thank you for everyone contributing. I have seen a lot of the major ones listed, such as House of Cards (both American and BBC version) Also "The State Within", though not the other two mentioned by poster.

It is difficult, as everyone has different tastes, I know.
I generally don't like anything too dark (intrigue and suspense, yes but too dark, no), but I am really surprised by the poster who said they could not get into "The Fall". To me that was an exceptional drama.
To give you an idea of my aversion to dark films: As good as Breaking Bad was, I liked it so much more in the beginning with a mix of really good humor along with the story line, which was very well done (especially the kid). But at some point, it started getting too dark for me. Still good, but not as good.
I guess my best comfort level are less crime and more Doc Martin, The Paradise and Downtown Abby, then any good Political themed show, then really good crime shows like The Fall, The Killing etc. (but have to watch another show after The Killing, so I can go to sleep.)

I did watch an episode of Luther the other night. It was well done, but emotionally charged, but I plan to watch more of that. Also had watched a couple of shows of Foyles War, and want to revisit that one too.

Another great show, (not in my specified category) Is Louie. (Louis CK) I think that show is brilliant.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:12 PM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
If you have enjoyed Season 1 of Last Tango in Halifax, the wonderful actress who plays one of the daughters is in the new Netflix Original, Happy Valley, which is very good. It reminds me of Breaking Bad, just a bit.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:17 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,367,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If you have enjoyed Season 1 of Last Tango in Halifax, the wonderful actress who plays one of the daughters is in the new Netflix Original, Happy Valley, which is very good. It reminds me of Breaking Bad, just a bit.

Yes, I saw that just posted on another thread. I plan on watching that tonight. I start to panic every time I am finishing a series, when I haven't been able to find something else enjoyable to watch. There have been very few American shows I can sink my teeth into, (without wanting to regurgitate )

I really wanted to see that Broadchurch, but after searching, only Amazon has it available for streaming for $3.00 an episode. Not spending $3.00 for a 45 min. show. Even checked Acorn TV. No dice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV