Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Star Trek Series do you like the best?
Star Trek:TOS 30 26.55%
Star Trek: TNG 46 40.71%
Star Trek: DS9 16 14.16%
Voyager 7 6.19%
Star Trek: Enterprise 14 12.39%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 01:40 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
During the Gulf War, we in the Pentagon watched the Iraqi air force burying aircraft in the sand to prevent the US from destroying them. We recorded our observations into the TOP SECRET/COMPARTMENTED database.

A decade later during the Iraq invasion, Army engineers found those aircraft...and had no clue that they had been observed buried a decade before (and the information was itself still buried in the TOP SECRET databases).

So it's very possible that operational forces in the field would not be aware of high classified information from 200 years earlier. But I seem to recall that there was already a Federation "expert" on the Borg when the TNG Enterprise first encountered them.
During Enterprise, 31 seems to be a bit less invisible, perhaps because they were still very close to the calamaty that the last wars had brought and weren't so deeply into paradise. By Picard (and Bashir's) time, the image of paradise had been sanctified and the very idea that they operated a secret police under dark cover would have horrified the citizens. Look how Archer was not so surprised, but fast forward and it became a betrayal of all they were.

I'm sure as soon as Picard and the Enterprise learned from Q about the Borg, the section was busy coming up with an 'expert' who could pass inspection as starfleet for when the time came. They'd have had plenty of time to back engineer the borg by then and no doubt used some of the stuff they learned in their OWN craft, which Bashir noted, never showed up on sensors like it wasn't even there.

But 31 also has a mission to preserve itself, since it considers itself necessary, so using what they learn to do so would be perfectly justified.

I have a suspicision that Bashir and Garak and the others met some of them before retruning home from the Dominion prison and they passed, and Picard after Locutus also knew them from the other side of the table. But in that guise, they would have claimed to be starfleet intelligence and not worn black leather.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me in the least that the planes were 'forgotten'. Of course the ones who buried them probably hadn't forgotten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 05:43 PM

950 posts, read 692,035 times
One thing which I could never figure out is how the Vulcans managed to oust the Romulans from their planet. After all, the Vulcans are pacifists whereas the Romulans are warriors. How can the pacifists oust the warriors?

Old 09-27-2014, 07:01 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
One thing which I could never figure out is how the Vulcans managed to oust the Romulans from their planet. After all, the Vulcans are pacifists whereas the Romulans are warriors. How can the pacifists oust the warriors?
My understanding is that they just "up and left."

But Vulcans are not pacifists, Vulcan philosophy is logical and Stoic, but not pacifist.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:29 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,689,263 times
Jeff Bezos is a huge TNG fan. He almost called it makeitso.com instead of Amazon, its one of the reasons I like the company.
I think I read that he has a lifesize replica of the bridge somewhere.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:40 PM

One thing I liked in DS9 is Sisko got married. Maybe if he'd been on a ship he wouldn't have but he had a home and his family with him and he took that next step. And while Kassidy wasn't always likable, and a fish out of water, she wasn't that dissimilar to him. I'd bet that a lot more of those starfleet people who got stationed there and stayed did see more of a permenance in their life and expanded the family beyond themselves.

I was happy when Penny Johnson got the role of the boss who has to put up with Castle, and his friends/partners. The interesting thing is she plays the part almost the same as she did Kassidy Yates/Sisko. I'm slowly meandering further into a fanfic which will slowly get posted, an alternate history where the Dominion war starts early and they are trapped on a planet under occupation when the war ends with a Dominion victory (yeah, I like *dark*). But they eventually end up making a new society, and 'snatch' skilled labor to suppliment the population. One such snatch has a certain Kassidy Sisko, though she doesn't use the name. She's not much different and its so much easier writing her with Castle and her alterego/character being so similar. It makes me remember how much I love DS9 when she has a full on Kassidy moment.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:26 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,689,263 times
Nightbird47 your post gave me the idea to search Amazon for self sealing stem bolts, I wonder what Bezos thought about Deep Space 9.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:20 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,416 times
TOS then TNG then Voyager, but mainly I think because of Jeri Ryan's tight outift

Old 10-01-2014, 12:57 PM

352 posts, read 324,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Actually I like the new movies. Its intended to be an anternate time line. The destruction of Vulcan would have changed everything. The Federation would have started out with a harder edge.

The thing I love is Kirk at the beginning. The way the first movie starts, racing down a street in a souped up car past hay bales, to get his application to starfleet in, that is exactly Kirk. And when you consider they were not so far out from the world atomic war, those haybales and souped up cars and farm boys who act like it fit quite well.

And with Vulcan gone, Spock on of the few survivers of his species, he comes in with a differnt point of view and wouldn't have that need to prove how 'vulcan' he was.

And Please pretty please bring back Kahn, er more Benedict Cumberbach.......yum
Totally agree with you on everything.

I have no problem with the alternative timeline.

Then again, I also prefer TNG and DS9 to TOS, so I'm clearly not a traditionalist.

Now here's my question, if you were to create a 5-person all-star team from the various series, who would you have?

Captain: Sisko
XO: Spock
Doctor: McCoy
Bridge Officer: Data
Bridge Officer: Odo (yeah, I know he's not Starfleet, but he's still awesome)

Old 10-01-2014, 01:18 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Worst 'regular' character across all Star Trek Series? And you're not allowed to pick Wesley.

Had to have been a regular character for at least a season. No one or two-off guest stars.

Toss up for me between Pulaski, Malcolm and Hoshi.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Worst 'regular' character across all Star Trek Series? And you're not allowed to pick Wesley.

Had to have been a regular character for at least a season. No one or two-off guest stars.

Toss up for me between Pulaski, Malcolm and Hoshi.
Of those three, I'd say Pulaski. Malcolm and Hoshi both had a claim to their story. He was of the 'bridge' generation of starfleet who grew up on an earth more familiar to us than Picard. And hes cute. She is one of the people who changed the world. But Pulaski was a fill in for Crusher while they soothed out the contract problems. She clashed with everyone and wasn't and didn't want to be 'family'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV