Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2014, 01:05 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times

Advertisements

I used to watch Saturday Night Live as a teenager. It was one of my favorite shows. I have not watched it in quite a few years as I have not found it funny. I am curious if I have "outgrown" the humor at 33. However, the show does impersonate politicians and celebrities and so must assume that its viewers are at least somewhat aware of current events. I guess I'm just curious as to who the target demographic is on that show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 01:15 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Aware of current events? I think it's the opposite--they're targeting Jay Leno's sidewalk savants. In other words, people who watch Jon Stewart and think they're informed.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:16 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I used to watch Saturday Night Live as a teenager. It was one of my favorite shows. I have not watched it in quite a few years as I have not found it funny. I am curious if I have "outgrown" the humor at 33. However, the show does impersonate politicians and celebrities and so must assume that its viewers are at least somewhat aware of current events. I guess I'm just curious as to who the target demographic is on that show.
I have been watching since Chevy Chase, John Balushi, Jane Curtain, Garrett Morris and all those years since. I still find it amusing but some casts and years have been better than others.

Best thing is if you don't like it you can always switch to Fox News for comedy.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:56 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
You haven't found it funny because it hasn't been funny. Demographics have nothing to do with it. SNL is a shadow of its former self.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:55 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,465 times
I don't think it's been funny for the past 10 years at least. And before that it was extremely hit or miss for even longer. I have no idea who watches or finds it entertaining now...maybe you need to be drunk and/or high?

Old 08-18-2014, 01:49 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
I think it is hilarious and I never miss and episode. I'm in my late 40s and I find it witty, smart, and relevant to what is going on in the world.

Some of the cast members are genius and I think some of the regular hosts (Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon) are genius.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:45 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
You haven't found it funny because it hasn't been funny. Demographics have nothing to do with it. SNL is a shadow of its former self.
Completely agree. The casts from the '70's and 80's were probably the funniest ever. I started losing interest in the '90's and would watch from time to time. From 2000 and on, I watched only if the musical guest or host interested me. I try to get into now but it seems I can't get through one skit without changing the channel after a minute or so.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:54 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Although I agree that the writing has fallen off a cliff in the last 5 years, I still do watch it. It still has some funny moments. I find that most of the people I poll that have totally quit watching it usally lean to the right in their political views ( a sign of getting older)
SNL was and always will be a, left Liberal leaning show. So if you start to lean to the right later on in life, like most people, the show will not be appealing nor funny!
My .02 cents

Old 08-18-2014, 03:23 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,287 times
"... Saturday Night live has not been funny for ten years".... Judge Ito, 1994.
I tend to only watch now if the host is interesting, I just fast forward though the dull spots. I watch the music segments now more so than when I was young. The early year casts will always be viewed as the best because they pioneered the format, I read the book that came out on the 25th anniversary. I think it was better with only 7 or so cast members, everyone was in at least two skits per show then, now there are so many cast members I get them confused.
The demographic... I think they try to appeal to a broad demo. Music has always tended to be aimed at early 20s demo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV