Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 12:00 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

I often watch my nephew's Disney Channel TV shows with him and always notice that there's ALWAYS a white boo du jour. They often seem to pair this guy off with a black/latina girl so that the show doesn't appear overtly racist, imo. The actor Cordon Bleu was attractive, yet biracial. They certainly didn't anoint him to be the next Zac Efron. Ads for youngsters also feature the white guy with his arms around a black girl. But, I've yet to see a black guy with his arms around a white girl. Why is there still such racism in our society or IS IT racism?- Thoughts?

Old 08-20-2014, 12:08 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,047,184 times
It's probably racism. The thought of a white girl being with a black man still irks MANY white men.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:26 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I often watch my nephew's Disney Channel TV shows with him and always notice that there's ALWAYS a white boo du jour. They often seem to pair this guy off with a black/latina girl so that the show doesn't appear overtly racist, imo. The actor Cordon Bleu was attractive, yet biracial. They certainly didn't anoint him to be the next Zac Efron. Ads for youngsters also feature the white guy with his arms around a black girl. But, I've yet to see a black guy with his arms around a white girl. Why is there still such racism in our society or IS IT racism?- Thoughts?
So, your premise is that shows that are featuring blacks and latinas and show mixed-race pairs are racist because you're not seeing a certain combo?

I think you need to turn off Disney Channel and get out and get some fresh air.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
It's probably racism. The thought of a white girl being with a black man still irks MANY white men.
Yeah, just think of how many old racist white guys might stop watching Disney Channel.

You guys sure like to throw around the racism claim.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:29 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
I don't know. Whats the difference between a white boy and black girl vs a white girl and black boy? It seems like the same difference to me.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:34 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,776,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
I hate to say it still seems to annoy some. Pretty crazy.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:32 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I don't know. Whats the difference between a white boy and black girl vs a white girl and black boy? It seems like the same difference to me.
Well, I can say that it's historically inferring that White boy gets to PICK whomever he pleases, even outside of his own race. Older generations have a responsibility/duty to NOT pass on the racist actions/behaviors of the previous generations, imo. From what I've seen of my nieces and nephews and what I've heard from other friends is that these young kids are not anywhere as racist as when I was a kid. We're also constantly fed the line that white youngsters are a decreasing demographic- yet surprise they still come out the Majority on these TV shows that are designed for all kids. What stops these companies from creating young black, Asian or Latino stars- espec in a romantic way? Why is it always the white boy du jour who romances the black/latina/Asian girl?
It was only in the past ten years or so when I've seen a couple with an interracial couple, but then again ALWAYS a white guy with an Asian or Latina. And those ONLY showed in southern Calif, not Texas where I'm from.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
I hate to say it still seems to annoy some. Pretty crazy.
There are 2 groups that have issues with black men with white women.

1. old white people
2. black women

Old 08-20-2014, 02:25 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Save the Last Dance (2001) - IMDb

Save the Last Dance.

Great movie. I loved it when it came out many years ago and still do. I do not watch the Disney channel so I have no idea what you are talking about.

What I do know, is that when I was young (I am 40 now) I knew that I could not bring home a black bf. You just didn't do that. I didn't understand why. Did I have one? Of course I did! Did my parents know? Nope!

We have four women in the family who are in interracial relationships/marriages. At this point it is really no big deal.

When I see people of different races together it just seems normal to me. I suppose it could be the area I live in.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:31 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
Not Disney channel but on Parenthood, Haddie dated Michael B. Jordan's character. So, it was white girl-black boy pairing. And like the poster above mentioned Save the Last Dance movie had the same pairing.
I don't see what the big deal is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV