Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 04:28 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,259,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Just finished FOYLE'S WAR.

Great BBC series.
One of my Netflix all-time favorites! I'm currently watching the third season of Longmire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 04:52 PM

3,898 posts, read 5,122,415 times
Just finished Sons of Anarchy (why did they kill Bobby?!?!?!), so now I can get back to watching Daredevil.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:55 PM

625 posts, read 619,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Just finished Sons of Anarchy (why did they kill Bobby?!?!?!), so now I can get back to watching Daredevil.
YIKES!! No spoilers please.

Just STARTED Sons of Anarchy.

Trying to start Daredevil. Not into that yet.

Finished S1&2 of House of Cards, taking a break from that one.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:09 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,639,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post

Do you have to be into politics to enjoy House of Cards???

That is what has always held me back from getting interested. I made it to EP 3 twice and couldn't force myself to go on but everybody raves about it. I actually hate politics, spin and politicians.

Is there any hope for a person like me to actually like it?

Old 05-07-2015, 05:57 PM

625 posts, read 619,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Do you have to be into politics to enjoy House of Cards???

That is what has always held me back from getting interested. I made it to EP 3 twice and couldn't force myself to go on but everybody raves about it. I actually hate politics, spin and politicians.

Is there any hope for a person like me to actually like it?
I think you could enjoy it. It's not really the politics so much as the crazy scheming behavior. It is a soap opera, just in a political setting. There's a bit of profanity (as you know) and there is some insinuated sex stuff, but nothing graphic. I wasn't sure about it at first either. It's so over-the-top it's hilariously addictive. Reminds of Dynasty or the soaps from years ago.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:35 PM

3,898 posts, read 5,122,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post

Ugh, sorry about that BamaBlue. It's too late to edit it now.

It's a good show. Charlie Hunnam does a good job in his part and the supporting cast is pretty good too. Gemma gets to be a little much, but she's does it well.

I haven't gotten into HoC yet, but it's in my queue. I need to finish a couple of other shows before starting a new one.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:17 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,803,155 times
The Bletchley Circle
Very good show about four British women around 1952 who solve crimes. They had worked for the war effort breaking German code, and later on used their abilities to solve the crimes.

Call the Midwife
Another British show set in the 1950's and 1960's - it's a group of midwives working in a poor neighborhood of London. Of course there are births with each show (they are midwives, after all), but the focus is really on the relationships the midwives have as well as what goes on in the neighborhood.

CSI: NY
Everyone probably knows this one. I think CSI: Miami gets credit for being the most silly/pun-filled of the CSI's, but I think it's NY. Ridiculous puns. But also, Detective Flack is hot. And who doesn't love Lieutenant Dan?

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
I've watched the series twice now. It's really cute, and the person who plays Kimmy is really funny. The show is about a woman (Kimmy Schmidt) who escaped from an underground bunker (she was being held there with some other women by a crazy cult guy) and now is trying to make it in The Big Apple.

Numb3rs
I love this show so much. I was pretty sad when I had watched all the episodes. I wish it had stayed on for longer than it did. It's about an FBI Agent and his math genius brother who solve crimes together. I'm a huge fan of Rob Morrow, ever since he was on Northern Exposure. I should see if Northern Exposure is on Netflix.

Sherlock
Love Sherlock. This is the modern adaptation with Benedict Cumberbatch playing Sherlock (and Martin Freeman - otherwise known as Bilbo Baggins - as Watson). I love Benedict's Sherlock. He's such a jerk in totally amusing ways.

Broadchurch
I enjoyed this. It's a murder mystery show with David Tennant (10th Doctor Who) as the lead inspector. I haven't watched the second season yet - I don't know if that's available yet, but I did like the first season.

Doctor Who
And of course, I'm watching Doctor Who. I started with the 9th Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) and have continued on from there. I had to sort of make myself watch the 9th Doctor's episodes, because I prefer Tennant as the Doctor, but I'm glad I did. It's nice to see how the Doctor evolves.

Catching Killers
I really liked this series. I hope they do more. It's about crime fighting. They talk about a modern case where the case was solved by a certain method of forensics (fingerprinting, DNA, etc.) and they go back in time to one of the first cases in history solved by the same method. If anyone is interested in true forensic science, then this is a good series to watch.

Daredevil
I'm watching it right now. Daredevil is a superhero who got radioactive sludge on him - it took his sight but gave him the ability to hear really well. In the comics he had the ability to do sonar, but that doesn't really seem to be explored in the TV show. There are a lot of parts where I need to fast forward. There are a lot of moments when characters just talk on and on, and it's just not compelling enough for me to want to listen. Frankly, it doesn't seem like I lose anything of the story by fast forwarding.

I just realized this is a really long post, so I'll stop there.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:28 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,487,504 times
Enjoyed Bletchley Circle very much--interesting background to The Imitation Game and adjuct to Foyle's War--which aren't necessarily on Netflix...
Can't take Call the Midwife--tried watching it 2-3 times--my fault I am sure my DIL loves it

Old 05-08-2015, 08:16 AM

4,795 posts, read 12,323,426 times
What I am watching:
Borgia, about the Pope in the 15th century, is interesting, but a bit confusing, but if you like costume dramas that take you into a very different time, definitely worth a look.
Turn, a suspenseful drama about American spies during the Revolutionary War is pretty good.
Sons of Anarchy, halfway through it. I have to be in the right mood to watch it but it's good drama.
Haven, a supernatural show set in Maine and based on a Stephen King book is really good. Waiting for the next season to come out.
Arrow a comic book superhero show. Really good fast paced action. First two seasons on Netflix.
Daredevil I highly recommend this one. Very well done. I think it is the best original series Netflix has done yet. good drama, good characters, excellent action fight scenes.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:08 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,804,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
What I am watching:
Borgia, about the Pope in the 15th century, is interesting, but a bit confusing, but if you like costume dramas that take you into a very different time, definitely worth a look.
Turn, a suspenseful drama about American spies during the Revolutionary War is pretty good.
Sons of Anarchy, halfway through it. I have to be in the right mood to watch it but it's good drama.
Haven, a supernatural show set in Maine and based on a Stephen King book is really good. Waiting for the next season to come out.
Arrow a comic book superhero show. Really good fast paced action. First two seasons on Netflix.
Daredevil I highly recommend this one. Very well done. I think it is the best original series Netflix has done yet. good drama, good characters, excellent action fight scenes.
Season 2 of Turn: Washington's Spies is now playing on AMC. You'll be glad to have seen Season 1 by time Season 2 lands on Netflix. Leave it to the Brits to make a good series about U.S. history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV