Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 09:18 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times

Advertisements

The biggest difference (at least so far) is that the past 3 Doctors, while they certainly had their faults, had a genuine compassion for humanity. Capaldi's Doctor doesn't seem to have that at all. In fact, he seems disdainful of lesser creatures and helps them more out of curiosity than any real compassion. It's almost like he's channeling Richard Dawkins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 02:38 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,064,347 times
I agree with Mark S. I guess I need to give it more time before I start liking him, but so far I am so disappointed...

Old 09-30-2014, 08:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
After 3-4 shows i'm not getting into the new series.The acting seems ok but the story lines they are given to work with are kinda boring , its as if the writers have never watched a previous Dr Who series,plots seem to be overly complex and the whole fun factor of the show is missing.
IMO they should Go back in time and bring back David Tennant as the doctor.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:07 PM

8,071 posts, read 4,746,263 times
Quote:
After 3-4 shows i'm not getting into the new series.The acting seems ok but the story lines they are given to work with are kinda boring , its as if the writers have never watched a previous Dr Who series,plots seem to be overly complex and the whole fun factor of the show is missing.
I don't think that it's necessarily that they haven't watched previous Who--they seem to be under the impression that they can/should 're-invent the wheel' by ignoring the formula that made the show a success. It displays a certain amount of arrogance, taking hold of a show that is a British tradition run by countless others over the decades, and then deciding to re-shape it to be what YOU like, what YOU want the show to be. They ought to treat the show as if they are caretakers (pardon the pun) of a British institution, and not there to indulge their own ego. It's like a tenant renting an apartment. Don't go tearing the walls out and putting in elevators. YOU might like the improvements, but it's not really your property to tear up.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:47 PM

So what did everyone think of The Caretaker? I thought it was better than I expected, but I still don't like Danny Pink.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:03 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
So what did everyone think of The Caretaker? I thought it was better than I expected, but I still don't like Danny Pink.
Personally, I did not like the Caretaker episode at all. I had actually liked the previous episode, the Robin Hood show and the Bank Heist episode and was developing a certain expectation of quality, which the Caretaker did not reach. I thought it was Capaldi's worst performance yet and that the writing was the poorest of the new season. Up to this point I have been pretty happy with the performances and development of Jenna Coleman's Clara, but I was not impressed with her in this episode.

Like several other posters have noted, the Mr. Pink is not working for me. The angry declarations by the Doctor that Mr. Pink is a soldier are a complete waste of breath in my view and I am tired of that entire part of the story. Unfortunately, the writers seemed to be turning the Doctor into a bit of a raving zealot who dismisses people based on his preconceived notions. That is absolutely frustrating to me, when you consider they are also making him less compassionate and more alien.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:31 PM

Yeah he seems a bit grumpy to me as the doctor. I wonder if he will calm down a bit!

Old 10-04-2014, 08:37 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Another disappointment.

The Fires of Pompeii moral dilemma retold. Clara is weak compared to Donna.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:23 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,242 times
Not sure that the episode posed the same dilemma as the one in The Fires of Pompeii. Donna was pushing to save a family of humans from volcanic destruction. The family had no physical capacity to be dangerous to the planet, at least any more than Donna herself; they were normal humans. Nor was there any knowledge that the family's survival would change the future. In the episode tonight, the largest creature ever known to humanity was about to hatch out of the moon - not only was there a possibility that the moon's destruction (due to its hatching) could cause mayhem on earth due to falling chunks of moon and tidal distortions, but the creature about to hatch was some kind of huge insectoid; no one knew if it would destroy earth-life or ignore earth-life, but no one was arguing that the hatchling was a rational being who could communicate and live off of stardust or whatnot - they didn't know.

I don't have the impression that Clara is weak.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:01 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
No, the dilemma was the choice. Donna was right there with the doctor destroying the volcano to save the earth, but condemning Pompeii. She understood how hard it was, while Clara made the choice but condemned him for it.

Weak. And makes her less likable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV