Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 01:49 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
his company plans to launch an internet-based television service
How innovative… in 2005!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 04:22 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Is that just the main ESPN channel, or does that include all the affiliated channels (ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPN-U, etc.)
What question are you really asking? -That amount is for the contract with Disney that includes ESPN and a number of other Disney-owned sports-related channels as part of the basic cable tier with more than a certain number of other channels. Those contracts generally include requirement of carriage of other Disney channels, each with their own separate prices.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:13 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Is that just the main ESPN channel, or does that include all the affiliated channels (ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPN-U, etc.)
ESPN is about 80% to 90% of the total ESPN bill (all affiliate stations).

I think Disney requires the cable company to accept ESPN if they want ABC. In 1993 the over the air networks were first allowed to require permission to re-transmit their signal from cable companies. Back then cable was powerful enough that they simply refused to pay money for this permission. Capital cities, then the owner of ABC and ESPN simply created ESPN2 and told the cable companies they could retransmit ABC but they first had to agree to pay for ESPN2. So ESPN2 was launched October 1, 1993.
--
The basic over the air channels are still pretty important to have on your cable lineup.

Although it is theoretically possible for your local cable company to say they are trying to cut costs by eliminating the OTA stations, they would lose a significant portion of their customers to some other delivery method. Many people purchase cable for the original use in the 1950's, they have bad reception where they live, or they cannot put up an antenna for some reason or the other. Many other people do not know how to work the INPUT button on their TV, and could not hook up an antenna and cable.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:14 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times
I don't think I'd watch Verizon TV. I'm not sure how Roku works, or Hulu or Netflix, so I subscribe to Directv to get my locals, which are what I watch 99% of the time. I don't want to watch NCIS on Wednesday over my computer, I want it on TV at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesdays, so I watch it on my local CBS channel.

I do watch (or record) some cable channels like HGTV, Travel, ID, History Channel, A&E, ESPN and it's derivatives, CBSSN, NBCSN, and NFL Sunday ticket (haven't needed it yet as Broncos have been national these last two games), MLB Extra Innings, WeatherNation and USA. A couple others, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV