Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 03:08 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

The problem with this premise is that the "double entendre" came long after the characters were created and named.
What?!?

Origin of DOUBLE ENTENDRE

obsolete French, literally, double meaning
First Known Use: 1673

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...ble%20entendre

Etymology Online offers that beaver in the gynecological sense is British slang dating from 1927, transferred from earlier meaning "a bearded man" (1910), or from the appearance of split beaver pelts.

http://english.stackexchange.com/que...ed-with-vagina

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 09-25-2014 at 03:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 10:21 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
You've never heard this one? Bedroom humor - kind of the opposite of a beaver cleaver...

Be careful if you take her to bed, some women have very powerful "leg" muscles and Elly may (or may not) clamp it shut on you!
Nope! Never heard it...........................................

.....................................sounds like a boy's 6th grade playground humor.

Quote:
You're right. I forgot all about the Bond women. They take this to the extreme...
  • Plenty O'Toole - obviously named after her father.
  • Holly Goodhead
  • Mary Goodnight
  • Tiffany Case
One has to remember that a Bond flick is an adolescent's boy's fantasy. Hence the first two names at least are there for a reason.

Mary Goodnight and Tiffany Case, however, came out of the books. Now maybe it's because I'm not a boy or maybe it's because of my exposure to other Brit TV, such as Dempsey & Makepeace, but I fail to see the joke there.

Or maybe it is because, as Drax said,

"You must forgive me but not being British, I often find your humor hard to follow."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
.....Robert Blake played an Italian cop named after an Italian shotgun...Baretta.
Well, some are deliberate such as "Purdey"....she's named after the shotgun company. But at least in a spy show, what one's name of address is and one's real name is may be two far different items indeed.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:49 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
What?!?

Origin of DOUBLE ENTENDRE
Why am I not surprised that you missed the point?

Old 09-26-2014, 03:17 AM

477 posts, read 800,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
As a teenager, I was always amazed that TV's "Growing Pains" got away with a character named "Boner." The character's real last name was Stabone. His father's name was Sylvester.
Me, too. I think "Boner" isn't widely accepted as a dirty word. A lot of people don't react to it. Someone once told me boner meant to joke. Like he's being a boner. That person was like 50 when Growing Pains was one. Speaking of which, wasn't Boner what the high put on his diploma?

To ad to the list, Sookie Stackhouse, Buffy Summers and most of the names on that show (Xander? Oz? ).

Old 09-26-2014, 05:05 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Why am I not surprised that you missed the point?
So, if I missed the point, then what was it?

Old 09-26-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
......... Buffy Summers and most of the names on that show (Xander? Oz? ).
Xander is short for "Alexander" as in Alexander Lavelle "Xander" Harris ....... and Oz is, properly, Daniel "Oz" Osbourne.What's so strange about a name of Buffy Anne Summers?

Old 09-26-2014, 05:52 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
Me, too. I think "Boner" isn't widely accepted as a dirty word. A lot of people don't react to it. Someone once told me boner meant to joke. Like he's being a boner.
Yeah. In the '50s it had an entire different meaning. See:

But by the time I was in junior high and high school (the '80s), it had an entirely different meaning that, at least as far as I know, was pretty widely accepted nation wide. I certainly saw it referenced in movies of the era. So either the producers of "Growing Pains" were so old that they didn't get it, or they were purposefully putting this innuendo on TV.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yeah. In the '50s it had an entire different meaning. See:

But by the time I was in junior high and high school (the '80s), it had an entirely different meaning that, at least as far as I know, was pretty widely accepted nation wide. I certainly saw it referenced in movies of the era. So either the producers of "Growing Pains" were so old that they didn't get it, or they were purposefully putting this innuendo on TV.
I recall a children's cartoon, probably an HB one, where the heroes crash into a skeleton and the sidekick says, "Looks like we really pulled a boner there.".

Old 09-26-2014, 11:28 AM

352 posts, read 324,671 times
Well, it's not a character's name, but rather an actor, but Rider Strong is a pretty awful name. Sounds like a adult film star.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:22 PM

477 posts, read 800,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
Well, it's not a character's name, but rather an actor, but Rider Strong is a pretty awful name. Sounds like a adult film star.
I think his parents were hippies. I don't know why, but I'll always remember some article about him where he said his parents forced him to eat like a vegetarian and other things he didn't want to do as a child. Not child abuse stuff, just hippie stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV