Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 10:28 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,254,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
I didn't see Broadchurch, so don't have any idea how that played out. I just watched the last episode of Gracepoint. Wasn't the phone number on the scrap of paper found in Danny's pocket the psychic's number?

This moves so slowly--they sure are dragging it out---wish it were more rapid pace and fewer episodes. Still a lot of questions unanswered.

Does anyone know what is wrong (illness) with the lead detective?

I thought he was on drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 10:38 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,008,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
If it were a regular series I would have been done with it by now.
Well then, you ought to give up now. They've announced a season 2 for Broadchurch in the UK. And it's always assumed in the USA that if it gets good ratings, there will be another season. It's a series.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:27 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,607,707 times
Better episode for me this week. Some good exchanges and I am finally getting more of a sense of who these people are.

I thought that the one guy that they went to talk to was terrific, acting-wise. A shame that the casting couldn't have been more along those lines.
The biggest problem I'm having is in telling some of the subsidiary characters apart, the men particularly.
They are all so bland - same coloring, same haircuts...

And Anna Gunn. Sigh.
If that was the way they had to go, why not someone like Mary McCormack (In Plain Sight) who actually knows how to, well, act.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
The actors in this version are just not able pull it off as well as the British cast did. Olivia Coleman was superb in Broadchurch but Anna Gunn just makes the dialog seem strangely off.
Agreed.

I know it has to be tough coming right behind such an accomplished cast, but the show-runners definitely could have made better choices so that it isn't so much of a contrast.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
Well then, you ought to give up now. They've announced a season 2 for Broadchurch in the UK. And it's always assumed in the USA that if it gets good ratings, there will be another season. It's a series.

BBCA already has it on their 2015 schedule.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:01 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,578,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I thought he was on drugs.
No way. Remember that exchange with his doctor or whoever that was? Warning him he doesn't have much time until presumably something medically drastic would happen. Detective saying he wasn't ready yet.

But on the other hand, what was in that envelope that the "other woman" handed him at the restaurant?

I agree the show is kind of slow and I'm not really fond of the actors, except funny to see Nick Nolte playing the old salt.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:29 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,153,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
Then I guess we will see how I feel after season !.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:44 AM

2,325 posts, read 2,638,728 times
I like it more each week. The plot thickens and we learn more about the characters. I think it's well done. It just takes patience - it's not an action thriller where it all works out in and hour.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:59 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,805,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I like it more each week. The plot thickens and we learn more about the characters. I think it's well done. It just takes patience - it's not an action thriller where it all works out in and hour.
Yeah, I like Broadchurch more each week. Was worth it to get to the conclusion. And your point about it working out in an hour, seems most american TV is geared to short term hypnosis. Probably the reason I like weekend binging on a season. I almost feel as if I'm involved in the show - or someone I know could be. Gets to be like a really long movie.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:45 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,970,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The biggest problem I'm having is in telling some of the subsidiary characters apart, the men particularly.
They are all so bland - same coloring, same haircuts...
I know what you mean. I've been complaining about this for a while. In the past ten years, maybe longer than that, almost all TV characters on any given TV show have become completely homogenized...they all look, act, and dress alike. The cast of Grey's Anatomy could easily pass for the cast of CSI. Even the lone black character on this show blends in with the mostly white cast. In other words, even his blackness doesn't make him stand out. It's weird.

I think this is one reason why I love TV shows and movies from the 70s. Actors were more raw back then, and IMO, more memorable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV