Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 12:43 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,389,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Another World when Harding Lemay was headwriter

A Year in the Life

I'll Fly Away
I loved I'll Fly Away. I'm still on the Amazon wait list for the dvd ;(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 01:19 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,555,417 times
West Wing
Carol Burnett Show
Kate & Allie
Hill Street Blues
St. Elsewhere

Old 10-04-2014, 02:17 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,737,869 times
Personally, I'd love to see reruns of some of the mid-to-late 80s crime dramas, as I was too young back them to have appreciated them:

Wiseguy
The Equalizer

Old 10-04-2014, 02:29 PM

8,026 posts, read 4,706,675 times
I'd watch Another World no matter what period, but yes, the Lemay period sounds like it would have been fascinating to watch.

Knots Landing holds up just fine after all this time, much more than any of the other nighttime soaps. I grew up watching it and loving every minute.

As popular as The Golden Girls is in syndication, it surprises me that its spin-off/lead-out series, Empty Nest, doesn't air anywhere. Sure, it's a very different show, but the tone and writing are a lot alike, and the characters memorable.

Benson seems a lot more dated, but every time I stumble across an episode on youtube, I remember why I looked forward to it every Friday night.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:48 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,757,712 times
Mad About You
Moonlighting
Johnny Carson

Old 10-04-2014, 02:51 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,188,871 times
Miami Vice
Misfits of Science
Tales From the Darkside
Outer Limits

Old 10-04-2014, 02:55 PM

186 posts, read 193,087 times
Moonlighting!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVED Moonlighting and would definitely watch that one too!!!

A lot of good ones on here and a lot I don't recognize. Thanks for playing!

Jay and Daniel, what was different about Another World when Lemay was involved? I don't know anything about this.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:05 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,922,248 times
Laugh In, Sonny & Cher, The Carol Burnett Show, Hee Haw, The Smothers Brothers Show, The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour, This is Tom Jones, American Bandstand, Soul Train, ShaNaNa, The Andy Williams Show----I loved the variety show format!

Old 10-04-2014, 03:14 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,824,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaMoBThere View Post
Jay and Daniel, what was different about Another World when Lemay was involved? I don't know anything about this.
Unfortunately, YaMo, I never saw it, so I can't describe it from memory. It is simply said to be the most sophisticated writing any daytime soap ever featured; it was compared in its time to Bergman's Smiles of a Summer Night.

There's so much to be said, he wrote a book about it, now available again on Kindle. If you don't have a Kindle, you may be able to find it at your library. If not, just type in "harding lemay another world" when you have time to fall down a googlehole.

Amazon.com: Eight Years in Another World eBook: Harding Lemay: Kindle Store

Old 10-04-2014, 03:21 PM

8,026 posts, read 4,706,675 times
Harding Lemay was a playwright more than a scriptwriter when he was hired. He wrote the show in a style that made daily episodes more like three-act plays. Scenes were five/six minutes long in most cases, with dialogue that drew from characters' own flaws and strengths, rather than just plot-based conversations. I think the best way to describe AW in the mid-1970s is "a group of well-drawn characters whose interactions came from realistic reactions to each other".

AW had been the first show to go from live performances to tape. They did this to allow for longer, more complicated scenes to be edited together. Live TV meant a lot more choppy, static scenes since actors could not really do lengthy scenes without encountering problems with memorizing so much dialogue. Going to tape allowed them more freedoms with longer scenes via editing. Lemay and his exec producer later came up with the idea of expanding the show from 30 minutes (the standard length for soaps in the early 1970s) to an hour because Lemay felt the hour-long format would allow him to write sufficiently long scenes that would build up a conflict and provide a pay off for the viewer in the span of an episode, rather than having to chop up the story by having it air over two (or three) days of episodes. From what people say about this period, the dialogue was often filled with sophisticated, literary references and characters were actually intelligent and well-read. Lemay didn't seem willing to write common-denominator type stuff traditional melodramas on daytime were writing. They won many Emmys and were typically #2 in ratings (occasionally #1) behind As the World Turns, which had been the #1 soap for over fifteen years and would not get knocked off the top spot until General Hospital and Luke/Laura came along. GH was many things, but 'literary' and 'intelligent' are not readily associated with what they were doing. And once soaps went toward what GH was doing, Lemay's style of soap writing did not come back into favor. Even AW went through a period in the early 1980s (after Lemay had departed the series) when they tried doing action/adventure type stories and it was not pretty.

Another show I miss: Cybill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV