Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 06:27 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
For some, cable isn't even available. Haven't had it since I moved from the city years ago.
No reception over the air at all, so a Dish is a must.
At least one weekend a month, I get free HBO or Showtime or Epix or whatever.

As for Netflix/Hulu/YouTube ... Ick. Who wants to watch TV on a laptop?
Besides, some of us have data caps.
Yeah I forgot those who live out in certain areas have the option of Satellite TV instead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 06:37 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,465,730 times
If you have a Roku, you can watch Netflix/Hulu/YouTube over your TV. If you don't want to get a Roku (or other streaming device), you can attach a laptop to your TV and watch Netflix/Hulu/YouTube on your TV. I actually have a Roku. I noticed I couldn't watch some shows on Hulu Plus, so I got a laptop and attached it to my TV, so I could watch shows that are only shown on Hulu (which means they can't be watched on streaming devices). It's actually pretty cool, because I can check my email on my TV. I'm fortunate not to have data caps, so that's not an issue.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:42 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
For some, cable isn't even available. Haven't had it since I moved from the city years ago.

I get Netflix on my flat screen TV. When I got it I had to switch the dish to HD and Netflix app was included with that. I already had a Netflix subscription so I cancelled the mailed ones and just use the one on TV. I wouldn't want to watch movies and TV on my computer monitor. Too small and I like to be comfortable!

Old 10-11-2014, 07:05 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Looks like only sports fans lol
You are correct. That is the one thing that I do miss.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:17 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
Quote:

My WDTV live media hub - which is attached to my 60" TV - has the apps for all of those services. So I watch them on a large screen. The box I use costs about $200, which includes the 1-TB hard drive, the apps for Netflix, YouTube, comedy time, Facebook, Flickr, Flixster, huluplus, kannuu, launchpad, live365, mlb.tv, mytv, Pandora, picasa, SEC digital network, snagfilms, spotify, vudu, watchmojo, yupptv, xo college sports, etc..

With a wifi dongle (or a wired ethernet connection), it will connect to my router, which has another 1-TB hard drive, stocked full of movies and tv shows not on the above apps.

All of these things, I watch on any tv, phone, or tablet in the house. If I want, I cant pack up the box anc take all of those movies and tv shows with me when the family goes on vacation. The apps travel with me, as I only need an internet connection.

Best entertainment value I've ever spent money on.

So I can get some sports, but not all.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:

HUH? I watch mine on a 60" TV. Not a lap top.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:51 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
1. Digital TV.......

2. Netflix/Hulu.........

3. Youtube............
No, I'm watching less cable, TV overall because what is on sucks!

As far as the choices above, they have taught me to have it in my hot little hand. As an example, once La Femme Nikita was free on the Net but then they started to charge to see it. So I bought the entire series in DVD's so I can watch it when I want, pay only once.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:16 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
I only watch cable TV on Saturdays and Weekdays nights at 1am when I am about to go to sleep which has decreased from everyday like it was 10 years ago. How bout you?
I watch more cable than ever. I have Netflix, Hulu, etc, but I prefer to watch series while they're fresh. And there is a huge amount of good and very good on TV these days.

Game of Thrones
Homeland
Boardwalk Empire
The Affair
Justified
True Detective
Mad Men
The Bridge
Newsroom
Orphan Black
Fargo
The Americans
yada yada yada

Oh, and the comedies/dramedies
The Veep
House of Lies
Louie
Episodes
again yada yada

plus dozens of broadcast shows (Good Wife, Person of Interest, etc).

Nope, not about to cut the cord.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:52 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
My WDTV live media hub - which is attached to my 60" TV - has the apps for all of those services. So I watch them on a large screen. The box I use costs about $200, which includes the 1-TB hard drive, the apps for Netflix, YouTube, comedy time, Facebook, Flickr, Flixster, huluplus, kannuu, launchpad, live365, mlb.tv, mytv, Pandora, picasa, SEC digital network, snagfilms, spotify, vudu, watchmojo, yupptv, xo college sports, etc..

With a wifi dongle (or a wired ethernet connection), it will connect to my router, which has another 1-TB hard drive, stocked full of movies and tv shows not on the above apps.

All of these things, I watch on any tv, phone, or tablet in the house. If I want, I cant pack up the box anc take all of those movies and tv shows with me when the family goes on vacation. The apps travel with me, as I only need an internet connection.

Best entertainment value I've ever spent money on.

So I can get some sports, but not all.
So, excluding cost of the box, what do you pay on average per month for the stuff you do buy from Netflix and other pay-as-you-go services?

I'm trying to convince my wife to do this, but she's so far unwilling to wait a few days to watch her favorite shows.

And I'm no longer sure about this, but doesn't MLB.tv blackout home games if you live in the area where your team is broadcast locally? That would be a deal breaker even for me.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:57 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I watch more cable than ever. I have Netflix, Hulu, etc, but I prefer to watch series while they're fresh. And there is a huge amount of good and very good on TV these days.

Game of Thrones
Homeland
Boardwalk Empire
The Affair
Justified
True Detective
Mad Men
The Bridge
Newsroom
Orphan Black
Fargo
The Americans
yada yada yada

Oh, and the comedies/dramedies
The Veep
House of Lies
Louie
Episodes
again yada yada

plus dozens of broadcast shows (Good Wife, Person of Interest, etc).

Nope, not about to cut the cord.
Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Too much good scripted stuff on plus the Tennis Channel.

I do have netflix as well and will be adding a Roku later this month, primarily for Acorn, but no, not giving up/cutting back on "cable" TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV