Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 10:07 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,527,976 times

Advertisements

Leichtman Research Group’s newest consumer survey found DVRs in 47% of U.S. TV households, up from 40% in 2010 and 23% in 2007.

Half of those DVR households (about 23% of all HHs) now have DVR service on more than one TV set. Five years ago, just 8% of all HH had service to more than a single TV.

Many households are moving to a system where one DVR will service all the tv's in the house through some kind of master/client service.

The bottom line is that television networks sell commercials, and DVR's provide a means not just to time shift viewing, but a way to fast forward through commercials.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that within a few years, most networks are going to want to distribute TV via Video on Demand where they can lock the fast forward button and make you watch the commercials. Advertisers want some assurance that there commercials aren't being fast forwarded.

We can also look forward to the day when commercials ask stupid trivia questions. The bait will be that prizes are awarded, but the real motivation will be to collect personal data, and more importantly to prevent you from making a sandwich during a commercial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 11:11 AM

178 posts, read 232,213 times
I cut cable a while back. I do have netflix though. Most TV shows are garbage, so I don't feel like I am missing much. What I really hate are ads. I can't stand watching regular TV when I visit relatives.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:05 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly2 View Post
I cut cable a while back. I do have netflix though. Most TV shows are garbage, so I don't feel like I am missing much. What I really hate are ads. I can't stand watching regular TV when I visit relatives.
especially those medical ads

Old 10-12-2014, 02:01 PM

997 posts, read 1,060,400 times
Can't / won't drop cable, well it's actually DirecTV satellite for us, mainly because of sports. Have to watch our beloved NY Mets and NY Rangers. My husband has had the football package in years past because he's a Vikings fan, but it's just not worth the price, even with the great discount I was able to negotiate.

I personally am very impatient and don't want to wait to watch my network shows. We also subscribe to HBO & SHO, have Amazon Prime & Netflix, which my college age kids use daily, and AppleTv. We spend far too much money on tv, but I just don't see us changing our ways anytime soon.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:00 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Leichtman Research Group’s newest consumer survey found DVRs in 47% of U.S. TV households, up from 40% in 2010 and 23% in 2007.

Half of those DVR households (about 23% of all HHs) now have DVR service on more than one TV set. Five years ago, just 8% of all HH had service to more than a single TV.

Many households are moving to a system where one DVR will service all the tv's in the house through some kind of master/client service.

The bottom line is that television networks sell commercials, and DVR's provide a means not just to time shift viewing, but a way to fast forward through commercials.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that within a few years, most networks are going to want to distribute TV via Video on Demand where they can lock the fast forward button and make you watch the commercials. Advertisers want some assurance that there commercials aren't being fast forwarded.

We can also look forward to the day when commercials ask stupid trivia questions. The bait will be that prizes are awarded, but the real motivation will be to collect personal data, and more importantly to prevent you from making a sandwich during a commercial.
I can't fast forward then I record it on a standalone and fast forward that....

I would go with netflix and hulu and amazon and would watch the news online. A LOT of stations are streaming the local news as it is broadcast.

What I do now is if the station isn't on my very limited dish choice, I use Amazon. The cost of that is less then upping the plan so I can watch a show.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:48 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
cable sucks. I pay so much between the internet, TV and phone...yet everytime I try to reduce my cable bill by eliminating something, within a few months it is back up there agin.
I have so many channels, yet nothing to watch. It has gotten terrible. Also the commericals on the high channels is insane, I count about 13 commericals.

I thinough the whole idea of pay cable TV was to eliminate commercials, and they are more than there was back in the 70's.

ah, the 70's when TV was great, 80's also.....

Old 10-12-2014, 06:50 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
cable sucks. I pay so much between the internet, TV and phone...yet everytime I try to reduce my cable bill by eliminating something, within a few months it is back up there agin.
I have so many channels, yet nothing to watch. It has gotten terrible. Also the commericals on the high channels is insane, I count about 13 commericals.

I thinough the whole idea of pay cable TV was to eliminate commercials, and they are more than there was back in the 70's.

ah, the 70's when TV was great, 80's also.....
That's what happened to me, I downgraded my cable package and the internet part of the bill was increased

Old 10-13-2014, 12:55 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet3 View Post
Can't / won't drop cable, well it's actually DirecTV satellite for us, mainly because of sports. Have to watch our beloved NY Mets and NY Rangers. My husband has had the football package in years past because he's a Vikings fan, but it's just not worth the price, even with the great discount I was able to negotiate.

I personally am very impatient and don't want to wait to watch my network shows. We also subscribe to HBO & SHO, have Amazon Prime & Netflix, which my college age kids use daily, and AppleTv. We spend far too much money on tv, but I just don't see us changing our ways anytime soon.
This is me, too. I had Directv when I lived in CO as there was no cable, and we were too remote for antenna TV. When I moved to AZ, I HAD to have my Denver Broncos, Colorado Rockies, Colorado Avalanche and Denver Nuggets, as well as access to other sports, so I stayed with Directv for NFL Sunday Ticket, and MLB Extra Innings, as well as the total sports package.

I'm also impatient and do not want to wait a day to see my favorite shows. I don't watch movies at all, so Netflix and Hulu, etc., aren't something I'd even want to try, and I don't subscribe to the premium movie channels like HBO or Showtime.

I may be old fashioned, but I want to watch shows as they air, not the next day, not on my computer (PC don't have a laptop, tablet or Smartphone) and I have to have my sports. I also don't have mega sized TV's either -- a 32" in the LR, and 19" ones the 2 BR's.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:58 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
.......I may be old fashioned, but I want to watch shows as they air, not the next day, not on my computer (PC don't have a laptop, tablet or Smartphone) and I have to have my sports.
I guess that is part due to how we grew up. As an Army Brat, that's the way it was.

Me, I'm fine with my shows and movies being "canned", of not seeing them for 6 months to a year from when they came out.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:12 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I guess that is part due to how we grew up. As an Army Brat, that's the way it was.

Me, I'm fine with my shows and movies being "canned", of not seeing them for 6 months to a year from when they came out.
When I was a teenager, Joe Namath wore pantyhose and Heidi cut off the playoff game. I'll never forget my Dad yelling. That was the first time I ever heard him swear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV