U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:45 PM

988 posts, read 795,958 times

Advertisements

Watching the moon landing at my grandparent's house in 1969. I was three years old.

I really think that the only reason I remember it is because of my family's reactions to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 01:46 PM

4,123 posts, read 4,576,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Me too. The Captain and, let's not forget, Mr Green Jeans. I thought I remembered the Captain having bad hair and I was right; I did an image search on Google and have to say there wasn't worse hair on TV until Mark Harmon's early years on CSI. (And remember in Pulp Fiction where Bruce Willis is humming a line from the Statler Bros. song "smoking cigarettes and watching captain kangaroo"?)

Also, and maybe this was only a New York area show - Wonderama, hosted by Sonny Fox. It consumed most of Sunday morning (not competing w/ Sat. morning cartoons). Cartoons, live studio stuff. And I think that was the show where there was a treasure box and maybe 4 or 5 kids from the audience would be selected to try to open it. And to do that they were plopped in the middle of what looked like a mountain of keys. Pick a key, try the lock, discard key, try next key, etc. etc. Which basically meant that for the treasure chest kids their entire experience being in the studio was filled with "key fail" (Sonny would go over to them from time to time and ask them how they were doing, so on the plus side the kids would get some TV air time to brag about at school on Monday).
My older sister used to laugh at me when I yelled to wake up grandfather clock.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:49 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,939,800 times
When Oswald was shot. I kept wondering why this was on TV over and over,When was Beanie and Cecil coming back?

Old 10-23-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Me too. The Captain and, let's not forget, Mr Green Jeans.
I loved Captain Kangaroo, but I must have watched it in the early 70's.

Quote:
Also, and maybe this was only a New York area show - Wonderama, hosted by Sonny Fox.
Absolutely LOVED this show, but I only remember it being hosted by Bob McAlister, also in the early 70's. My husband and I often sing some of the songs from it like Exercise & Kids are People, Too to embarrass and annoy our kids!

Old 10-23-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
When Oswald was shot. I kept wondering why this was on TV over and over,When was Beanie and Cecil coming back?
I remember Beanie and Cecil. But I was 11 when JFK was shot so I knew what was going on.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet3 View Post
I loved Captain Kangaroo, but I must have watched it in the early 70's.

Absolutely LOVED this show, but I only remember it being hosted by Bob McAlister, also in the early 70's. My husband and I often sing some of the songs from it like Exercise & Kids are People, Too to embarrass and annoy our kids!
Captain Kangaroo first aired the end of 1955. I was 3 so probably saw it from or near the beginning of it.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
The Electric Company, in the early 70's. What is strange is that to this day, I can still remember one of the commercials that used to play during it - both the company name and the phone number! (But I have always remembered series of numbers easily).
Another of my favorites!

Also used to enjoy Zoom!, which often was broadcast immediately after it.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:53 PM

1,685 posts, read 3,528,289 times
On Black and White TV: Ding Dong School with Miss Francis, Romper Room with Miss Lois, but Captain Kangaroo was my fav.

On Color TV: Flipper.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:53 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,048,429 times
howdy doody and pinky lee show at a neighbors home

Old 10-23-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
On Black and White TV: Ding Dong School with Miss Francis, Romper Room with Miss Lois, but Captain Kangaroo was my fav.

On Color TV: Flipper.
I very much wanted to be on Romper Room!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or