Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 02:01 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,540,780 times

Advertisements

Rogers and Hammerstein Cinderella with a VERY young Julie Andrews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 07:00 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,118 times
Sonny and cher, captain and toniel?, sesame tree,Brady bunch,our gang...
Early 70s.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:00 AM

378 posts, read 245,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Thankfully, Jill didn't bring Fax Newman to Springfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otwz7pi2XIA
I stopped watching AW because of JFP being producer for a number of reasons....

JFP was supposedly against NBC's plan to turn AW into a clone of DOOL. Yet she created a DOOLish atmosphere by upping the violence quota(which i hated), producing DOOL-type stories such as Justine and the Nick/Sofia/Maggie triangle, hiring models who couldn't act, and experimenting with supernatural stories.
JFP took credit for increasing key demographics (women), which is apparently what she was hired by NBC to do. If you expect me to believe that she increased the violence and dumbed down the women characters *specifically* to increase viewership among women, well, I can't believe it. If the demographics did go up (and there is contradictory evidence whether they increased and whether the increase was sustained), then I can only believe that the increase is a coincidence.
JFP said that she loved the characters on the show. If so, why did she rewrite much of their history and personality?
Near the end of her tenure, JFP said that she "loved" Another World. Really? Did she hunt up old episodes? Does she eagerly tune in each day to watch the show, even though she's no longer EP? That's what it means to love the show. What JFP loved was being in control of a show and subjecting it to her latest fancy.
And did she ever listen to the advice Harding Lemay was hired to give her? From what the show became under her hands, it seems not.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:28 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,403 times
Jill Farren Phelps always said those things when she staged her latest hostile takeover of a soap. People forget that she was foisted on Another World only as part of the three-soap game of musical chairs. John Valente had been doing a fairly good job as Exec Producer at AW (not great, but nothing terrible), but JFP's tenure at GL had gone downhill so dramatically that Procter and Gamble demanded her ouster. So Valente was shuttled off to As the World Turns and Jill the Pill was installed at AW. I can't recall who ended up at GL, but I'm assuming it was ATWT's Exec Producer since they were doing this game of pick-up sticks.

At any rate, Valente was a trainwreck at ATWT, and JFP pretty much tanked AW creatively and financially in her effort to turn the show into something it wasn't--a soap focused on crime, medicine, and melodrama. Valente failed mainly because he hired some terrible head writers who ended up having to be fired. JFP failed mainly because she had learned NOTHING from her failures at GL and at Santa Barbara, trying to cram the same kind of misogyny down the throats of the viewers, crowing about "raising the demos". She pushed HER story ideas on her Head Writers, even though they were hired to write and she was...not. Her storyline stunts draw in a short-term viewership (kind of like car accidents attract rubber-neckers), but pokes holes in the overall fabric of the show, eventually leading to long-term loss of viewers. It happened at SB and GL, and AW and GH, and to a lesser extent at Y&R because by then people knew her MO and didn't let her have total authority.

So yeah, when she crowed about 'loving ____" [insert dead/dying soap here] and wanting to return the soap to its glory days, I liken it to a politician promising everyone the moon and stars in order to get elected--then forgetting every single promise once in office.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:49 PM

140 posts, read 109,068 times
What an enjoyable thread!

Lone Ranger
Romper Room
Cisco Kid
Jackie Gleason (The Honeymooners}
Lawrence Welk
Ed Sullivan

I clearly remember black & white television.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:50 PM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times
Romper Room.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:14 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
"The Mickey Mouse Club"

Old 04-05-2019, 06:42 AM

919 posts, read 789,102 times
Colonel Bleep!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ileY...eTJaEjq9rtOKt_

Old 04-07-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Jill Farren Phelps always said those things when she staged her latest hostile takeover of a soap. People forget that she was foisted on Another World only as part of the three-soap game of musical chairs. John Valente had been doing a fairly good job as Exec Producer at AW (not great, but nothing terrible), but JFP's tenure at GL had gone downhill so dramatically that Procter and Gamble demanded her ouster. So Valente was shuttled off to As the World Turns and Jill the Pill was installed at AW. I can't recall who ended up at GL, but I'm assuming it was ATWT's Exec Producer since they were doing this game of pick-up sticks.

At any rate, Valente was a trainwreck at ATWT, and JFP pretty much tanked AW creatively and financially in her effort to turn the show into something it wasn't--a soap focused on crime, medicine, and melodrama. Valente failed mainly because he hired some terrible head writers who ended up having to be fired. JFP failed mainly because she had learned NOTHING from her failures at GL and at Santa Barbara, trying to cram the same kind of misogyny down the throats of the viewers, crowing about "raising the demos". She pushed HER story ideas on her Head Writers, even though they were hired to write and she was...not. Her storyline stunts draw in a short-term viewership (kind of like car accidents attract rubber-neckers), but pokes holes in the overall fabric of the show, eventually leading to long-term loss of viewers. It happened at SB and GL, and AW and GH, and to a lesser extent at Y&R because by then people knew her MO and didn't let her have total authority.

So yeah, when she crowed about 'loving ____" [insert dead/dying soap here] and wanting to return the soap to its glory days, I liken it to a politician promising everyone the moon and stars in order to get elected--then forgetting every single promise once in office.
AW was pretty good in the 1967-69 era, with the storylines. And the organist at that time, Clarke Morgan was pretty good scoring the show then. Just a few years after Clarke’s untimely death, soap opera had completely abandoned organ music in favor of the dreary, pre-orchestrated version of pre-taped background music. While the orchestrated music is good, nothing beats the organ music used during AW's heyday(1964-1974)

Old 04-10-2019, 01:59 AM

One of my grandmom's first soaps, believe it or not was this one, which she watched until the early 80s.

Interestingly enough, it led to her watching AW(because it came on before AW).
Attached Thumbnails
What is your earliest memory of TV?-6301977-opening.mp4_000022170.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV