Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:25 AM

15,546 posts, read 11,968,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Of course not. The Star Spangled Banner.
Yes, kids know the Star Spangled Banner... What does that have to do with anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 03:03 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,138,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, kids know the Star Spangled Banner... What does that have to do with anything?
Don't worry your little head about it.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:19 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,032,368 times
Musically, I've always liked the Canadian Anthem more than the Star Spangled Banner, its a much more singer friendly song. When the Blue Jays came to the Coliseum or the former Expos were at Candlestick, I'd sing along with O Canada and inevitably someone nearby would ask me if I was Canadian, or say "I take it you're Canadian."

So, in answer to the OP's question:
Quote:
How many US sports fans could do the same with Oh Canada ? Not many, I think.
It was my experience that Americans didn't expect other Americans to know the song.

I find I must chastise OP canadian citizen, however, pointing out that he or she did not know that the song is "O Canada", not "Oh Canada."

Old 11-24-2014, 06:30 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,816,019 times
Jim. .Answered you. .it disappeared

Old 11-24-2014, 06:53 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,968,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Don't worry your little head about it.
Oh, so just random comments that have nothing to do with the thread. Got it!

Old 11-24-2014, 09:55 PM

17,495 posts, read 15,086,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Musically, I've always liked the Canadian Anthem more than the Star Spangled Banner, its a much more singer friendly song.
The problem is that too many people try to 'interpret' the Star Spangled Banner. I've heard a few good renditions of it.. Instrumentally.. It's almost always great. Take Jimi Hendrix's version as the example on that.

The best, I think just about everyone would agree, that it has been sung was by Whitney Houston.. That's even part of a montage at the Smithsonian in the display for the actual flag that flew over Ft McHenry. Sadly.. Too many people today don't have a clue as to the basis of the song.

In a way.. I would prefer to have America the Beautiful as the national anthem.. But, i'd probably have the same complaint.. There's only one person that i've heard that has just nailed that song to perfection, and that's Ray Charles.

Don't even get me started with a certain syphilis-laden, crab eating, Bromo-seltzer tower having, Natty Bo drinking town (That shall remain nameless) and what has become 'tradition' there during the national anthem.

But.. I'm still completely impressed at the singer in Toronto, I think, who tripped over the rug on the ice and didn't miss a beat singing "O Canada"

Old 11-25-2014, 07:14 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,032,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The problem is that too many people try to 'interpret' the Star Spangled Banner.
That is annoying. These singers figure that it is their big moment in the spotlight and conclude that the crowd wants to hear them stretch the song out into three or four minutes by doing the entire set of scales on every note..."Oh..oh..OH...oh..oooohhhh say-a-yay-a can-an-you--ooo-see--eeeeeeayEEEEE etc"

My favorite was the very quick, very snappy version done by Huey Lewis and the News. The worst I ever heard was back in the '80's when it was "Kilpatrick Bread Day" at Candlestick Park and the anthem was sung by the wife of the owner of Kilpatrick's Bread. She was just god-awful, could not sing a lick, people were cringing with embarrassment for her. Around the twilight's last gleaming everyone began to sing along loudly just to drown her out. She was actually booed at the end, the only time I can recall someone getting booed after singing the anthem.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:48 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,476,432 times
yes, but do they know how to sing the United States Marine Corps Hymn?

Old 11-25-2014, 09:07 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,138,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
yes, but do they know how to sing the United States Marine Corps Hymn?
"Cassions Go Marching Along"? That's just a guess. Don't know if I have ever paid attention to the MC Hymn.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:57 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,437,626 times
Yamota:

If you are talking about Canadians knowing how to sing the Marine Corps hymn???

You would be VERY surprised to learn how many Canadian Citizens are ex Marines..... During the Viet Nam war era, about 40,000 Canadians volunteered to serve in the US military, and many of that number served in The Corps.

One of the few VFW/ American Legion posts that is located outside of US territory is located on the Six Nations reserve, in south western Ontario. That would be because under the Jay Treaty of 1794, Aboriginals can serve in EITHER the Canadian Forces, or the US Military, as they choose. They are considered to be citizens of BOTH countries, with the freedom to cross the International boundary with no restrictions. Many Canadian Aboriginals have had long and distinguished careers in the US military .

110 Canadians were KIA in Viet Nam, and John Lemon from Toronto, was awarded the Medal of Honor, for his actions in combat, as a Marine.

Jim B. In Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV