U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2014, 03:04 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times

Advertisements

I was just reading that he'd weighed in on the furious Amazon-Hachette book publishing debate a while ago, and gave the finger to Amazon.

Did you see it? I was just curious if they actually showed that on television, or censored it out.

http://lunch.publishersmarketplace.c...chette-author/

Old 12-23-2014, 05:31 PM

10,542 posts, read 4,676,858 times
Yes, Colbert's op-ed segment appeared on his show several months ago:

Amazon vs. Hachette - The Colbert Report - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Though of course "giving the middle finger" is usually pixelated/blurred for the camera.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:48 PM

16,222 posts, read 25,416,434 times
Ah, gotta love censorship in the U.S. Here in Canada, TV and radio are much more lenient about stuff like that. I mean, really, you *know* what they're doing or saying anyway. There were a few songs, popular in the last 10 years or so, that were often played on the radio's Top 40 list in Canada and in the States. Nothing was bleeped here but they were in the U.S. The irony is that you gave us Howard Stern, who was "shocking" there. Here, his show fizzled in quick time because there was no shock value.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:18 PM

8,144 posts, read 6,002,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Ah, gotta love censorship in the U.S. Here in Canada, TV and radio are much more lenient about stuff like that. I mean, really, you *know* what they're doing or saying anyway. There were a few songs, popular in the last 10 years or so, that were often played on the radio's Top 40 list in Canada and in the States. Nothing was bleeped here but they were in the U.S. The irony is that you gave us Howard Stern, who was "shocking" there. Here, his show fizzled in quick time because there was no shock value.
Howard hasn't really been 'shocking' since the late 80's.. Don't get me wrong.. Guy deserves a whole lot of credit for pushing the boundaries.. But, he's gotten by on reputation alone for over 20 years. He introduced the genre of "Guy Talk" radio in the US, which has basically petered out.. In the 90's you had entire stations built around that format.

*I* remember listening to the guy who called Air Florida asking for one-way tickets to the 14th Street Bridge.

As for songs.. Lord have mercy.. I heard Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69" censored right after Nipplegate. The third verse of Garth Brooks "Friends in Low Places" is generally censored due to the "Kiss my ass" line. The third verse of Reba McEntire's "Fancy" is generally cut from US Radio. Rolling Stones "Brown Sugar"..

One of the best intros that a DJ got away with that I heard of was talking up the intro to the Beatles "Come Together" and finishing off with "It's a great trick if you can pull it off".. which i'm pretty sure flew right past a vast majority of listeners.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:02 PM

16,222 posts, read 25,416,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Howard hasn't really been 'shocking' since the late 80's.. Don't get me wrong.. Guy deserves a whole lot of credit for pushing the boundaries.. But, he's gotten by on reputation alone for over 20 years. He introduced the genre of "Guy Talk" radio in the US, which has basically petered out.. In the 90's you had entire stations built around that format.

*I* remember listening to the guy who called Air Florida asking for one-way tickets to the 14th Street Bridge.

As for songs.. Lord have mercy.. I heard Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69" censored right after Nipplegate. The third verse of Garth Brooks "Friends in Low Places" is generally censored due to the "Kiss my ass" line. The third verse of Reba McEntire's "Fancy" is generally cut from US Radio. Rolling Stones "Brown Sugar"..

One of the best intros that a DJ got away with that I heard of was talking up the intro to the Beatles "Come Together" and finishing off with "It's a great trick if you can pull it off".. which i'm pretty sure flew right past a vast majority of listeners.
Hahahaha! That DJ was clever!

Yeah, Howard in the 80s... well, maybe I'm thinking of the early 90s... that's the time I was talking about.

The funniest censoring that I heard was an Alanis Morrisette (she's Canadian) hit "You Outta Know." The line is "Would she go down on you in a theater?" Here in Canada (or at least in Montreal, the most liberal city in Canada, when it comes to sexuality, I think), nobody thought anything of it. The first time I heard it in the States, I guffawed when I heard "Would she [beep beep] on you in a theater?" Truly bizarre. And then, of course, was the line -- which will be censored on this forum too -- that went "something" like this: "Are you thinking of me when you **** her?" Interesting enough, it was NOT censored on Montreal radio, even on the morning or afternoon shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPcyTyilmYY

Old 12-23-2014, 11:07 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,122,907 times
Do I watch him? He's not on air anymore...

Old 12-24-2014, 02:21 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,145,048 times
There are many, many authors who have Amazon to thank for providing them with a market that they otherwise never, ever would have had -- for many this means a very lucrative career, even if their writing sucks. I haven't followed this issue, but it seems to me that some people just can't accept the fact that the publishing industry has changed dramatically in recent years. Nothing in that article has changed my already low opinion of Colbert.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:01 PM

14,932 posts, read 26,635,658 times
Please post on the active Colbert thread already in progress.

Colbert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV