Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 12:32 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Most of the tests, with the exception of math problems, are really memory exercises. Memory is useful later in life but not as much as understanding concepts and decision making. I hope they have some questions that fall in these catagories.

I guess the vocabulary definitions required thought too, but some could have memorized the answers. I loved the way the father teaches his daughter the language roots of words. It reminded me of the "greek and latin derivitives" class I had in high school, which was hugely useful for the SATs.
I wish we had a "Greek and Latin Derivitives" class available for my children. Sadly, their school doesn't even have a qualified Latin teacher, so it isn't taught there. I took Latin in high school, and it has served me well all my life. My mother encouraged me to take Latin since it was required in her day and she felt it helped so much with grammar and vocabulary. There are only two schools in our school district that offer Latin, and unfortunately ours is not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 08:49 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Ok, Graham is getting on my nerves now.

Vanya, again, is a total class act.

Team Ryan!

Team Binyamin's Dad!

Old 01-28-2015, 02:49 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,109,923 times
I'm really enjoying this show and am impressed with all the kids....each in their own way. Proud of Ryan for standing up for his beliefs. That strength of character will serve him well all his life.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:23 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Another great episode: spelling and zoology. Some of those words were appalling (some looked made up) while the zoology had some easy questions (to my mind) and very, very difficult ones (again, to my poor mind).

Once again, at the beginning they introduced, in full, another contestant (a cute little girl aged 9). It rather reminds me of the old Star Trek episodes: Captain Kirk, Spock, and Bones land on an unknown planet. With them is another person: a 'guard', who stands around in the background awkwardly holding a useless weapon*. Guess who gets killed?

*I had always imagined that, for such scenes, Gene Roddenbury would grab whatever male was available. Perhaps delivering pizza, adjusting the lights, etc.

Roddenbury: "Here, put on this yellow shirt. Now, hold this phaser in your hand. Yes, just like that. Now, go stand over next to that big, fake rock. No, you don't have to do anything. Just stand there for a minute. Action!"

Old 02-18-2015, 09:04 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
I can't even TELL you how much I love this show!!!

It was sad to watch Ryan's behavior last night. I couldn't believe his mother, who is so demanding of him in terms of intellectual performance, allowed him to say "shut up" to her several times. Most of the other kids and their families seemed so well adjusted in comparison.

But what I really want to say is: Ha Ha, Girls are Smarter than Boys!!!

Old 02-18-2015, 11:57 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,109,923 times
Ryan needs a new family. That poor kid will need years of therapy to survive those 3 people he has surrounding him.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:56 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
Hurrah for Vanya! Such a nice girl with a great family support system - and of course smart, too!

This was a great show, and more Americans should care about being intelligent.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:44 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,373,179 times
I like Graham. I was pulling for him to win it all! He was a cute little guy. I couldn't believe the dad who went to talk to the monitors saying it wasn't fair that his daughter had to go first, so she was at a disadvantage! That was just silly.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:05 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I like Graham. I was pulling for him to win it all! He was a cute little guy. I couldn't believe the dad who went to talk to the monitors saying it wasn't fair that his daughter had to go first, so she was at a disadvantage! That was just silly.
That dad was very silly.......it made his child feel worse.

But, I did understand what he meant........as the other children watched.......they learned how to pass on anything that would take a long time........and move on to get more questions.

He should have schooled his daughter on strategy.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:19 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Did you all see who tied for first in the Scripp's Spelling Bee?

Vanya!

What a great year she is having.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV